Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 05:52 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,292 times

Advertisements

I've heard people make the argument that if you don't love (or seriously hate most aspects of) your job, you should just quit because you must be terrible at it anyway. I've also known people with excellent reputations who were considered excellent at what they do who also admit (to a few) that they actually cannot stand the job and are trying to get out ASAP.

I was in the second category when I was a high school teacher. I didn't hate (most of!) the kids; I hated the administrators, the multitude of goofy rules, low standards, the routine, etc. I had and still have a huge passion for learning, was well-liked, got choice assignments and was well-respected in the district. All that did not change the fact that I needed, for my mental health, to get out. I would say that for a great portion of my many years, I had wonderful moments but overall I did hate it. I was considered one of these somewhat old school (less touchy-feely) veteran teachers. And that was okay with me and most of the kids, admin, parents, etc.

I'm not bragging about myself as I was quite miserable, just laying the groundwork for my questions. So is this whole thing possible? Does a person have to love something just because they are good at it? And can a person hate something even though they are good at it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 07:12 AM

78 posts, read 376,918 times
i do helpdesk tech support for a large company that i somewhat hate but at the end of the day i enjoy what i do. The only reason why i hate it is due to the users that i need to help, either its the dumb people (that dont know how to use a feature in word/excel/etc) or the dumb and confused (like they need access to drive Y (which is a network drive that they dont know the path for))

Old 11-13-2011, 07:27 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
Yes it is possible to be good at a job you hate. There is a difference between affinity and aptitude. Most people, though, are prone to derive a sense of pleasure from a job well done, and therefore will come to enjoy, if not love, a job they are good at.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:31 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
I did Accounts Payable for many years. I hated absolutely everything about it. Payables is the most unrewarding, mentally draining, soul sucking thing I can possibly think of doing.

Both companies that I held that position for told me time & again that I was the best they had ever had. I increased earned discounts-taken and offered, improved vendor relations, and organized the chaos. I hated every minute of every day that I did it. The position gave me some health concerns and eventually I had to walk away from it.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:51 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
I hate the politics at my company so much that i will not and have not attended one company party since the late 1990's. i also seriously hate drama queens and co workers who have no respect for boundaries and i now take sadistic glee (since i have amassed the interpersonal skills thru trial and error) in watching coworkers who are out to screw me, hang themselves in the end

Old 11-13-2011, 03:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Yes, it is possible. I was rated as an excellent employee for years at a job I hated. I came to work on time, sat down and did my job every day. I always made sure I did a little more than expected and a little more than most of my co-workers. It wasn't that hard.

Work was not my life. It funded my life.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:09 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
I've HATED every job I've had going back to high school. It's mainly the people, but also the work itself usually sucks.

I'm in my late 20s now and I've finally realized that work is really just a means to an end. I don't like it, but it provides me with the funds to do what I want to do.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:41 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
I hate my job so much-I'm seriously am thinking of changing careers and getting out of the business world-but I'm good at my job, I know a lot and I'm a great resource. Too bad I'm over worked ( so is everyone at my company) and underpaid ( I got a 3% raise, while our company posted a 118% profit)

Old 11-14-2011, 06:55 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
Absolutely. However, I don't expect to "love" or even "like" any job. It's a means to an end. Nothing more, nothing less. Oh, yeah, and I work for money, too--not for a sense of accomplishment or making a difference (not that I don't appreciate those feelings); but I'm in it for the money.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:24 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
I would say yes. I hated my job for the first year I started, but I was good at it. It involved a lot of pressure and mistakes could cost small fortunes. That pressure motivated me to excel at it. I stuck with it and endured some difficult times when I thought there would be no work. But there has always been work, and even when I get laid off, it doesn't take long to find work again. The reason is, I feel, because it is a stressful, sometimes boring job that most people don't have the patience or tenacity to do. So, sticking with a job that I originally hated has done well for me thus far. I have seen companies try to train new people to do this work. More often than not, it doesn't work out. It's a job people always hate when starting out, and most people just don't seem to make the cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment