Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:38 PM

8,219 posts, read 12,977,214 times

Advertisements

Granted they are calling it an "accounting clerk" job but looking at the "requirements" it is not an accurate job description. Maybe they figure if they call it a "clerk" job they can pay the person burger flipping wages...

Wow- talk about "bottom feeders". They want a B.S. degree in accounting or finance AND three years experience for.......8 to 10.50 an hour?

Accounting Clerk (http://nashville.craigslist.org/acc/2697239834.html - broken link)

The GL Accountant will have exposure to most areas of the company and will need a well rounded background in all areas of accounting.

Job Duties

Journal Entries

Monthly Accruals

Full cycle AP & AR

Account Reconciliations

Month End Close

Assist w/Payroll

Financial Reports

Requirements:

BS in accounting or finance

3 years of related experience

Strong Excel skills

Experience with Oracle, SAP or Peoplesoft is a plus!

For additional info, please contact us at this link: http://nashvillejobhunt.com

• Compensation: $8.00 to $10.50 per hour
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please, no phone calls about this job!
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 06:43 PM

840 posts, read 1,155,648 times
They know it's hard to get in the door and accounting grads are dying for experience. In my previous firm, we had plenty of people (non traditional grads or career changers who passed the CPA exams) who cold called to work for us for free.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:22 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,372,300 times
So, are people actually working with accounting degrees for this rate? I live in Knoxville Wartrace and salaries here don't seem much better than that.

Also, is accounting clerk the same as staff accountant?

Old 11-12-2011, 06:13 AM

8,219 posts, read 12,977,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSUAccountingGuy View Post
So, are people actually working with accounting degrees for this rate? I live in Knoxville Wartrace and salaries here don't seem much better than that.

Also, is accounting clerk the same as staff accountant?
I don't know if they are getting people for this rate. From what I have been seeing in advertisements in the Nashville area the going rate for an accounting clerk (with no degree + 1-2 years experience) is 12 to 14 dollars an hour. That rate is for doing payables/receivables- not all the duties described in this job posting.

The fact that this job specifies a B.S. degree and three years experience is amazing to me. A job at Wal-Mart pays more than what these people are offering.

@Audioque- I am sure there were people wanting to "intern" at a CPA firm because that's the only way they can get the two years experience for the CPA exam. There is no indication that this job would be good "experience" for CPA licensure. While it might qualify here in Tennessee, it doesn't look like the type of job that would offer "good" (aka useful) experience for someone looking to start an accounting career. FURTHERMORE, the advertisement is specifying three years prior experience so this isn't something someone would consider to "gain experience".

Last edited by Wartrace; 11-12-2011 at 06:22 AM..

Old 11-12-2011, 10:11 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,329,838 times
That's Craigslist for ya. If they're too cheap to pay for an ad in a respectable place, they're going to be cheap all around.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,061 posts, read 82,349,378 times
I suspect that they will still get plenty of applicants, even at that barely minimum wage pay that is a field where people need to keep their skills sharp and many people with 3 years experience in accounting are out of work.

Shame on them for taking advantage of the bad economy.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:27 PM

30,180 posts, read 25,294,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I suspect that they will still get plenty of applicants, even at that barely minimum wage pay that is a field where people need to keep their skills sharp and many people with 3 years experience in accounting are out of work.

Shame on them for taking advantage of the bad economy.
Kinda hard to offer more when competing companies are doing the same thing. Shame on parents and colleges for telling the masses to all go be accountants. Can we pick some different careers for a change?

Old 11-12-2011, 03:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,068,298 times
I'd be surprised if they received even a handful of apps. Many mom and pops, which no doubt this is, are incredibly out of touch. They will, no doubt, end up hiring an 18 year old high school grad, who perhaps had an acctg course in high school.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,987,774 times
No doubt, they haven't even taken the time to do the math and realize that they are offering $17k a year. And they'll wonder why they get nothing but worthless applications and probably keep reposting it.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:08 PM

83 posts, read 247,956 times
I've seen ads like that too and they scare me! Well this is a new low because the ones that ask for bachelor's degree usually offer $13 or $14 which still sucks!

This is one of the reasons why I'll get a CPA license, I've never seen an ad like that for a CPA.

I'm just happy I found a job in the field while I'm still in school. I feel really fortunate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment