Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 08:37 PM

147 posts, read 314,583 times

Advertisements

I applied for a job and got an email back asking me to check my own credit score. The relevant paragraph reads:

"What we are asking from our top candidates is that they take a credit check. The credit check can be done online now by clicking this link http://bit.ly/nuwbtJ (broken link) . We ask for you to show your seriousness about this position to take the credit check now and e-mail us your confirmation number.

We are NOT judging your score, some of the employees that have been here for years have less than perfect credit. We also CANNOT see any confidential and personal information. All we see is a score rating of 1-5; with 5 being the best. Unfortunately, due to company protocol, we cannot move forward with candidates that do not take the credit score at this time. We hope you can do this for us!"

Is this weird/scam-ish or is this the norm nowadays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 08:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
What kind of job is this for? My first reaction is let them do their own damn credit check.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:05 PM

That is exactly what I was thinking.

The position is for customer service rep.

I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to whether this seems awfully fishy or has anyone experienced this?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
So you didn't even interview and you are a "top candidate"? I would run away. Fast.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:20 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwitwanderer View Post
I applied for a job and got an email back asking me to check my own credit score. The relevant paragraph reads:

"What we are asking from our top candidates is that they take a credit check. The credit check can be done online now by clicking this link http://bit.ly/nuwbtJ (broken link) . We ask for you to show your seriousness about this position to take the credit check now and e-mail us your confirmation number.

We are NOT judging your score, some of the employees that have been here for years have less than perfect credit. We also CANNOT see any confidential and personal information. All we see is a score rating of 1-5; with 5 being the best. Unfortunately, due to company protocol, we cannot move forward with candidates that do not take the credit score at this time. We hope you can do this for us!"

Is this weird/scam-ish or is this the norm nowadays?
This is a scam. It is a way for them to get information from you while remaining totally anonymous. Any reputable employer would conduct their own credit check.

Also, you should never click on one of these shortened URLs as they also hide the real address from you with the short code (a real address has information about the website/page. These little URLs cover that up). It is a link to a fake webpage that mimics a real credit report site. They want you to enter your real information, which will get stored in their data bank. Wala, they now have your SS#, address, job information, and other information relating to your identity.

Of course I could be wrong, I mean I never actually clicked on the link. It just seems too fishy. Or is that phishy?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:47 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,689,094 times
Have you interviewed for the job or did you apply online and suddenly your a "top candidate" and they want you to go to their credit service and enter your personal info?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:58 PM

So upon clicking that link, it takes you to freecreditscore.com - or so it appears
I clicked around the site a bit more and find that EVERY following URL goes freecreditreport.com/dni

I compared this against the real freecreditscore.com and that "dni" doesn't appear anywhere at the end of any of the URLS.

So for sure I ain't inputting any information from that link. Now I can't help but wonder: what could that dni possibly stand for?

Old 11-11-2011, 06:00 PM

379 posts, read 813,621 times
Why not forward the email to spam@uce.gov. They check out all the spammers, phishers and unwanted emails that people hate getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment