Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:26 AM

5 posts, read 5,781 times

Advertisements

I got hired onto a UPS store in Folsom in July2011. Things didnt work out at that store (the sale of the shop never went through) so we were all let go. It ended on fairly good terms. My Folsom boss recomended me to another UPS owner in Downtown Sac. I have been working there since Oct. 2011. Things are going really there for me ther. That is until my former Folsom boss needed help at his store under the table for a couple hours last Saturday. Since this didnt conflict with my current work schedule I agreed. It went fine. Then he asked for my help the following Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I told him yes at first. Then on the Tuesday before something came up and I told him I was not able to help him. I flat out told him I couldn't do it. He kept insisting that I had to. Well I didnt show up to his Folsom store on Thursday (he is in LA at the momen.) So his Folsom store has no body in it. He left a threatening voicemail saying "if you value your job at any UPS store you betterget down there." UPS stores are franchises so my current boss is in no way conected to my former boss. What can I do to make sure the old Folsom oss leaves me alone and doesnt do anything? Also, he has a reputation among employees to be very "shady". So I know Im not the only one he has tried to mess with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 04:45 PM

30,157 posts, read 25,282,730 times
You know what is not legal? Working under the table.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:12 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,986,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So long as OP reports the income on his taxes next April 15, he's done nothing wrong.

OP, call the UPS Help Line and report a violation of the UPS Code of Conduct (which applies to stores and franchises) 1-800-220-4126. Make notes about dates and times--what days you worked, when the arrangement started, what days he has called saying he will 'do something' or whatever.

His calls to pressure you to operate his store when you are not scheduled to work or even a bona fide employee are almost certainly a violation of his franchise agreement and UPS can terminate the agreement immediately on the basis of it. And that's not even addressing the problem of him not paying employment taxes which they most certainly won't tolerate.

On the off chance that they don't effectively eliminate the problem or that his behavior accelerates faster than they can do so, you may need to file a harassment claim against him and perhaps get a restraining order. You'll definitely need your notes about calls etc. to file such a claim. I really doubt it would come to that, but you should keep it in mind just in case. If you don't keep records now, you won't stand a chance of filing a complaint later.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 5,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
So long as OP reports the income on his taxes next April 15, he's done nothing wrong.

OP, call the UPS Help Line and report a violation of the UPS Code of Conduct (which applies to stores and franchises) 1-800-220-4126. Make notes about dates and times--what days you worked, when the arrangement started, what days he has called saying he will 'do something' or whatever.

His calls to pressure you to operate his store when you are not scheduled to work or even a bona fide employee are almost certainly a violation of his franchise agreement and UPS can terminate the agreement immediately on the basis of it. And that's not even addressing the problem of him not paying employment taxes which they most certainly won't tolerate.

On the off chance that they don't effectively eliminate the problem or that his behavior accelerates faster than they can do so, you may need to file a harassment claim against him and perhaps get a restraining order. You'll definitely need your notes about calls etc. to file such a claim. I really doubt it would come to that, but you should keep it in mind just in case. If you don't keep records now, you won't stand a chance of filing a complaint later.

I do have my under the table wages documented so that the proper taxes have been taken out. Thank you so much for the number, this is extremely helpful. If I file a claim through the UPS number against him will that affect my current with a different franchise owner? And can my former "boss" actually do anything to my current job?

Old 11-11-2011, 08:29 AM

379 posts, read 816,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms72584 View Post
My Folsom boss recomended me to another UPS owner in Downtown Sac.
So he knows where you work?

Quote:
I flat out told him I couldn't do it. He kept insisting that I had to.
Sheesh! Interesting that you didn't bend to the pressure and show up, which, I guess, is what he was aiming for. haha!
Quote:
He left a threatening voicemail
life threatening or threatening your job? How can he threaten your job if you don't work for him?
Quote:
saying "if you value your job at any UPS store you betterget down there."
I'm glad you didn't rush right over, which is what he wanted.
Quote:
What can I do to make sure the old Folsom boss leaves me alone and doesnt do anything? And can my former "boss" actually do anything to my current job?
I think he already did all he is going to do. I doubt he will waste his time when he knows there is nothing he can do about your future or current work situation. What can he do really? Call your current employer and tell them that you backed out of work two days beforehand? Even so, would your current employer can you for that? I doubt it. All he really wanted was you to cover the store. Now that that's over, he'll crawl back into his lair and with any luck he'll never call you again since you couldn't help him out. I think you've heard the last of him, don't you?
Quote:
If I file a claim through the UPS number against him will that affect my current with a different franchise owner?
It's possible your current employer will find out but I don't think it affects them. It's the other guy who harrassed you that's the problem.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:06 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,441,443 times
Exclamation So...

Quote:
I got hired onto a UPS store in Folsom in July2011. Things didnt work out at that store (the sale of the shop never went through) so we were all let go. It ended on fairly good terms. My Folsom boss recomended me to another UPS owner in Downtown Sac. I have been working there since Oct. 2011. Things are going really there for me ther. That is until my former Folsom boss needed help at his store under the table for a couple hours last Saturday. Since this didnt conflict with my current work schedule I agreed. It went fine. Then he asked for my help the following Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I told him yes at first. Then on the Tuesday before something came up and I told him I was not able to help him. I flat out told him I couldn't do it. He kept insisting that I had to. Well I didnt show up to his Folsom store on Thursday (he is in LA at the momen.) So his Folsom store has no body in it. He left a threatening voicemail saying "if you value your job at any UPS store you betterget down there." UPS stores are franchises so my current boss is in no way conected to my former boss. What can I do to make sure the old Folsom oss leaves me alone and doesnt do anything? Also, he has a reputation among employees to be very "shady". So I know Im not the only one he has tried to mess with.
I would walk right up to your current boss and tell him you need to speak with him 'right now'. Give him the story and ask for his advise? I'm sure he'll be more than happy to help.
Koale

Old 11-11-2011, 11:40 AM

26,691 posts, read 14,674,813 times
I assume you get paid, right?

I am often appalled by people going straight to their supervisor, HR, Labor Department or the Supreme Court. Are you just a child? I'd agree if it's something illegal but for minor work dispute, why not try to resolve it with the individual?

Firstly, since this Folsom boss recommended you to your current job, I think you are very ungrateful not trying to go out of your way to help him. I'd be very pissed if I were him.

Secondly, if you promise to help, then you need to stick to that promise. That means, when you say "something came up", it'd better be someone important to you is dying not some crap like your kids want to go to soccer game that day. This is what we call "integrity."

Thirdly, why not try to talk to the Folsom boss? Tell him that it's taking a lot of time from you and you'd like to help but your free time is XYZ days of the week. See if he can work that into his schedule. Personally, I'd only have this talk after I help out over a period of 6 months because the Folsom boss is the reason I still have a job.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:45 AM

26,691 posts, read 14,674,813 times
One more note, it may sound harsh but ... if I were your new boss and I heard this, I'd probably find some reason to get rid of you. Why? Because your story tells me that you are ungrateful and lack of integrity. Why should I keep people like you around knowing that I can't count on them?

Old 11-11-2011, 03:53 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,261,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
True but its an illegality that works in benifit of the employee, typically employees are looking for illegalities on their employers that they can exploit for the employees gain.

The legality/illegality is really imaterial, its who benifits from the legal action. The employer in 99% of the cases has the employee over a barrel so its all about doing things under the table while trying to find loop holes to exploit slimmy employers. The employee has to do everything they possibly can to stay afloat, getting away with things that are illegal while simultaniously using the law to exploit their employer.

I see nothing wrong with that, also if the employee has child support or other court orders it is highly advantagious for them to work under the table because otherwise they are sunk.

If you are being stung by child support, court orders PLUS taxes AND slimmy employers the financial math does not work and most are FORCED to work under the table. If the math does not work it does not matter what hand waving or moral lectures you want to do the math always wins.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:56 PM

88 posts, read 229,142 times
Quote:
Also, he has a reputation among employees to be very "shady". So I know Im not the only one he has tried to mess with.

Is your former boss an Indian? What can he possibly do to you. As fo you helping him once, you can say that you did it out of gratitude to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment