Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 07:32 AM

486 posts, read 1,000,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I don't think it's in relation to his "credit score" persay, but moreso, it could be something he "omitted" on his application.(?)

They don't want to really know your FICO score ( unless you are in finance ), but what they really want to know is, what you put on your application, does it MATCH what your background/credit check shows?
Of course we all know credit companies never have incorrect information on the reports. [NOT]

My credit report(s) listed my mother's information, including that I took out a mortgage on a house in 1962. Kind of weird since I wasn't born until 1966.

Whatever.

Using credit reports for weeding out job applicants is pathetic in my opinion. What did Americans do in the "old" days when people applied for jobs and were hired without a background check, credit check, criminal check, drug test, reference check, etc.

I guess it was anarchy in the "old" days. Can you imagine hiring someone today on the interview alone? How creepy is that?

My first job out of college in 1991 I was hired on the interview alone. I sent in my resume, they called me in for an interview, I spoke to the hiring manager who was from the "old school" and he said I was hired on the spot.

Thank God times have changed for the better, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:32 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,502,186 times
Should really state what kind of job he had applied for. If his credit check came back negative and is applying for a job in the financial or insurance field, then well that is what happens. If this was for McDonalds then that would be very odd.

Need more specifics.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:21 AM

379 posts, read 816,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
Can you imagine hiring someone today on the interview alone?
They still do!

Old 11-05-2011, 11:02 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,924,576 times
I don't condone what happened to the OP's brother, but there are industries (not just Gov't) that require security certificates. And a condition of these certificates are that all employees have background checks, drug tests and credit checks. So there is a validity to these overly intrusive "checks." I had never even had a drug test until I was hired by my current company and I was the first one in the company to take one as we were going through an industry certification.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:04 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,704,077 times
All I can say is that this position was for the same financial services company that hired me a few months ago. His credit rating is much better than mine, still is, although I'm working with an attorney to improve mine.

He does have a DUI conviction on record from 17 years ago. I'd hate to think that something from that long ago could really be a consideration today.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:10 PM

16,952 posts, read 16,856,823 times
All I can say is that this position was for the same financial services company that hired me a few months ago. His credit rating is much better than mine, still is, although I'm working with an attorney to improve mine.

He does have a DUI conviction on record from 17 years ago. I'd hate to think that something from that long ago could really be a consideration today ]
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `

I believe a DUI could still be on his record.

Someone here might know the laws better than I do but since this was an "arrest," perhaps it's still on his file?

Old 11-05-2011, 01:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,312,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post

He does have a DUI conviction on record from 17 years ago. I'd hate to think that something from that long ago could really be a consideration today.
I don't hire anyone with a criminal record. Although, in NJ, DUI is nothing more than a traffic violation. Traffic violations do not go on criminal records.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,312,338 times
Quote:
Of course we all know credit companies never have incorrect information on the reports. [NOT]

My credit report(s) listed my mother's information, including that I took out a mortgage on a house in 1962. Kind of weird since I wasn't born until 1966.

Whatever.
This is why most people check up on thei credit report beore doing things like job searching, loan shopping, etv
Quote:
Using credit reports for weeding out job applicants is pathetic in my opinion. What did Americans do in the "old" days when people applied for jobs and were hired without a background check, credit check, criminal check, drug test, reference check, etc.

I guess it was anarchy in the "old" days. Can you imagine hiring someone today on the interview alone? How creepy is that?

My first job out of college in 1991 I was hired on the interview alone. I sent in my resume, they called me in for an interview, I spoke to the hiring manager who was from the "old school" and he said I was hired on the spot.

Thank God times have changed for the better, eh?
Technology has made it affordable to do background checks. This coupled with the history of white collar crimes in the past 30 years, has made such background checks something of great value for employers.

If all other things close to equal, you would certainly want to hire the individual with the better financial situation.

There isn't much of an argument there.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:21 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,502,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

He does have a DUI conviction on record from 17 years ago. I'd hate to think that something from that long ago could really be a consideration today ]
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `

I believe a DUI could still be on his record.

Someone here might know the laws better than I do but since this was an "arrest," perhaps it's still on his file?
Unless you seen his credit file, then you could have been mislead by your friend. If he has a Bankruptcy on file, charge-back or a lot of delinquent payments that could affect their decision, even if he has better credit.

Companies these days have the luxury to be picky about who they hire. He could have been someone they would have hired 2 years ago when there was less candidates of good quality. Now there many people w/o a job who would be excellent candidates. If they can choose between a good candidate with a slightly questionable financial history and a great candidate with a good financial history, which do you think they should choose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment