Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:20 AM

379 posts, read 814,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan41 View Post
Anyhow, they offered me the job today....with a 10% salary increase in six months,
unless they put the increase in writing, it may never materialize. They could say down the road "things aren't going as well as expected" or "sales are down, and so unfortunately we can't give you that increase we promised".

Quote:
it is a salaried position meaning I may work over 40 hours per week.
Sounds you could bet on working more than 40 hours a week over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:31 AM

475 posts, read 1,373,088 times
It would be great to work somewhere that was optimistic about their future but it sounds like this is just a lowball. Did you tell them you were living at home? I would assess the return you can get for your investment. Will you learn or acquire new skills that can translate somewhere else? Server config, databases, web design, whatever, you would want to offset limited pay with oppportunity to learn new stuff. If even that can't happen, I don't really see the point combined with the "on call" aspect. There are techs making much more for that type of support. Check out elance to compare sometime.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:14 PM

55 posts, read 242,972 times
Yes, it would include a good amount of experience, but it would also involve a lot of work for low pay. I sent them an email rejecting the offer and letting them know it was due to the salary. They seemed really disappointed and wanted me to name a number and they'd try to match it.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:18 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,565,955 times
Quote:
Yes, it would include a good amount of experience, but it would also involve a lot of work for low pay. I sent them an email rejecting the offer and letting them know it was due to the salary. They seemed really disappointed and wanted me to name a number and they'd try to match it.
Cheapskates! That means they can't get anybody to accept the salary and then these companies complain that they can't find anybody to hire.

Did you counter offer?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:28 PM

12 posts, read 35,140 times
Don't be so focused on just the number. Look at the whole compensation package. If they are going to lowball you on the salary, additional compensation could be made up with company stock or maybe some IRA matching funds scheme where you put in x amount of dollars and the company matches it up to a certain percentage for your retirement fund. No sick/holidays is a dealbreaker, because you're not going to magically work any harder without getting your batteries recharged.

Here is a sample counter offer
Compensation:
~$40k-50k annually
~Company stock
~401k employer match/contribution

Days Off:
~2 weeks vacation plus federal holidays and the day after Thanksgiving, that rolls over
~Sick days at the rate of 1 day a month (you use sick days to head to dr appointments)
~if you have to work a holiday, you get a different day off

Other:
~Health Insurance
~Dental Insurance (optional)
~Vision Insurance (optional)
~Paid cellular phone, since they are essentially asking for you to be on call 24/7
~Have them pay for your certs and training

Remember, it'll seem high a lot in terms of benefits, but it's not. Paying for your share of the health insurance and income tax will eat into your salary. Having those days off is going to do good for your well-being.

The company will try to negotiate you down or say that you're too much for them. If they lowball again, I would seriously just walk since they don't sound like they are serious. Check salary sites like payscale and other job sites for jobs with similar job descriptions with compensation information to back up your compensation package with data. Do not use elance, because many of the elancers are people who work outside the United States where the cost of living is lower and can demand a lower salary than someone in the US.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:32 PM

915 posts, read 3,184,861 times
Hi I would take it even though it's not much but it's at least something than working at a waiter in some restaurant. At least this you can have it on your resume. Who knows what this small company can lead you too, just because you are getting low salary..right?
What else you got to lose? You're young and don't have a career yet

why people get caught up with the whole no sick day etc...most companies don't even have that anymore. They lump both sick and vac times together. I remember when dotcom bust, I took a big pay cut to stay employed and no vaca/sick time for 1st year working with a startup. Then I get rewarded by big time bonus the 2nd year and when I left the company, the owner gave me a 2 weeks pay as a going away gift. That was a 5 years ago..I still keep in touch with him and maybe one day i may go back and work for him again...of course i want to be partner next time around

Old 11-06-2011, 12:39 AM

55 posts, read 242,972 times
Like I said, I'm a migraine/sinus infection sufferer. I'm pretty healthy but I do have at least a few days per year where I am in no shape at all to come into work, and if I have to come in I'm not going to get anything done because I am so miserable. I don't think it's too much to ask for a few sick days per year. Heck, I don't even expect paid sick days. They can dock my pay for those days for all I care.

My biggest issue is not so much the salary as it is the part about being salaried. I can live on $25,000 if I am not expected to travel extensively, have my own car (I currently share with a family member and that's worked fine for previous jobs) and pay for those expenses. Further, I wouldn't mind working a straight 8-4 or 8-5 schedule. But from what they described, there would be no guarantee that I could leave right at 5, even if I'm in by 8. I also would not receive extra pay for overtime. Essentially, I'd be working for free past the 40 hour mark and potentially would have very little free time each day. That may be alright for some, but for me, I enjoy having the evenings free to spend time with family or friends.

I did make a counter offer that is about $7,000 higher than what they initially offered. I picked this number because it enables me to pay all my monthly expenses (vehicle included) and still have a good amount of money left to save. Something tells me they won't accept and that's fine. They'll get what they pay for.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:57 AM

650 posts, read 1,814,431 times
Your counter offer should have been higher. At least 35k counter so they can talk you down to lower 30s.

Generally I would say no way to 25k, but Michigan is tough. It may very well be one of the toughest places to find work in the US. I hope they accept your counter offer but if you're doing fine now, then try to wait for something better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment