Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:08 AM

379 posts, read 813,251 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone want to be paid a salary and not know how many hours they will have to work for that salary as opposed to getting paid hourly and then time and a half for anything over 40 hours? Just for the 'honor' of the title of manager, v.p. or c.e.o.? Is it for the rare times you can leave early?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 05:09 AM

425 posts, read 995,493 times
It's so that when I work for 30 minutes on Saturday, I can take 8 hours comp time

Just kidding (I mean, I do get the comp time if I work at all on a weekend, but that's not why I like being salaried...)

The only time I've worked "hourly" was as a cashier when I was in high school, or when I was a consultant (no time & half then), so I've considered being salaried as the "norm". Working hourly is not an option in my job, so I don't really give it any thought.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,555 posts, read 81,131,933 times
It's not the honor of the title, but the added responsibility of being management, and the increased pay that goes with it. You are paid for the body of work not for the hours worked, so do not have to account for
where you are at all times. Yes, there will be long evenings and weekend work at times, with no overtime pay, but if you go to an appointment or
leave early to catch a flight for a vacation there's no need to use personal time off.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:32 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,282,338 times
You referring to exemp vs. non-exempt status?

Yes, non-exempt employees have to be paid overtime for work over 40 hours. But you also only have to pay them for the hours worked - this means no holidays, vacation etc, unless otherwise agreed upon.

I think it really comes down to the type of work, the environment, as well as the individual. I rather be salaried because it give me more control over my time. And most of the environments I've worked in allow flexibility in the schedule to offset any "unscheduled work". If you had to stay till 10pm one night, no one is going to hold it against you for leaving early on a different day. For the most part, I'd say salaried positions are based more on the responsibility/result, not the time spent doing it.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
Why would anyone want to be paid a salary and not know how many hours they will have to work for that salary as opposed to getting paid hourly and then time and a half for anything over 40 hours?
Even when salary appears to be an advantage...
don't assume that some beancounter hasn't done the analysis.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:40 AM

12,106 posts, read 23,271,144 times
Depends. With overtime, I would make more money as an hourly employee, but as a salaried manager I get most holidays and weekends off. It's a trade off.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:49 AM

486 posts, read 992,000 times
Default I like hourly

I like to get paid for the hours I work, therefore I prefer hourly jobs.

At my last job I was hourly and other coworkers (who had the same type of job as mine, they were not managers) were set up as salary because they could then be part of the "bonus" program (they were required to work 45 hours a week).

Unfortunately for the two years I worked there, everyday I would hear a salaried coworker complain about how they were sick of working 45 hours a week and never getting bonuses because the company wasn't making any money (they could only receive a monthly bonus if the company made a profit and it was at the discretion of the owner to dole out the amount of bonuses as he saw fit).

I worked in the same office as the accounting rep who complained everyday that she was sick of working 45 hours a week when she saw me leave everyday at 5:00 (I only worked 40 hours a week). She said the bonuses were not worth the extra 5 hours a week she was required to work.

BTW, salary and hourly employees at this company all received the same amount of vacation, sick and holiday pay.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:03 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Most people don't have the choice. Your occupation is generally one or the other. Anyway, if your one argument on the pro side for salary is "the rare time you get to leave early" there probably isn't much of a discussion to be had.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:20 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,617 times
Hourly. It's very rare that anybody on salary consistently works less than 40 hours a week. In many cases, they work a lot of unpaid OT.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:26 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,025 times
Moving to a salaried position from hourly was like freedom for me. Maybe financially you could earn more hourly but you have no life, late shifts, overtime, weekends, etc.
There is nothing like the flexibility and respect when you are salaried..I always felt that i was under a microscope when hourly and once they starting making us log in and out that was the last straw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment