Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:39 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,913,959 times

Advertisements

Lets face it, there will be a certain percentage of the population that, for them, unemployment is a way of life. That is why they say the published unemployment rates of about 4 or 4.5% is, essentially, considered full employment. You will never see lower statistics. At that point, whoever wants a job has one, there might be a certain amount at that level that is between jobs, but their is a certain percentage that is and will remain as parasites to society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 10:49 AM

753 posts, read 1,483,492 times
I don't think people enjoy it unless there is seriously something wrong with them emotionally or intellectually. Maybe they have lost hope and are trying to fool themselves into thinking it's not so bad.

I was unemployed for about a month and I got more and more depressed by the day. I can't imagine being out of work for 6 months or a year or more. My heart goes out to those who are going through that. It's a shame how often that happens in this supposedly affluent country.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 AM

753 posts, read 1,483,492 times
Same story here. Mine has to stay busy in his beloved IT, though, to curb his video game addiction. I'm working several part-time jobs now and things actually (usually) get done on my day off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
She stays married to him.

If anyone is going to be unemployed in MY relationship it will be ME. Not my guy. I will at least clean the house, cook, run errands, pay the bills, etc.

He is exceptionally brilliant, but he would play his effin' PS3 all day long. I know it. He is meant to stay in the city planning/architecture field lol.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:03 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,995,303 times
I was unemployed for 5 months at the beginning of 2010 and I LOVED it. If it was economically feasible, I would have begged my husband to agree to let me stay home forever. We actually saved money when I was unemployed because I wasn't leaving the house to go shopping and we stopped going out to eat because I had time to cook (I was collecting unemployment though).

That said, when I was unemployed I was learning more and more about something I'm actually interested in and passionate about, which is making jewelry. I made a TON of jewelry in those 5 months and got a lot better at it. I became faster and the finished pieces looked nicer. I was even offered a full time position at a large jeweler as an apprentice. I would have taken that job, too, if it had been closer to my house, even though the pay was less than my unemployment. It would have taken me 2 hours each way to get there though, and there were no public transit options; the driving would have caused me to go insane, I think.

Unfortunately, I ended up being offered 3 positions in my field that were all very close to where I live. I couldn't turn them all down, even though I never wanted to go back...

So, I definitely think being unemployed can be enjoyable. For those 5 months, I felt good. That physically ill feeling I get every morning thinking about my day was gone, I couldn't wait to get up to finish whatever I was working on. But, all that said, I am not the type of person who could ever sit around all day watching TV. Employed or not, I am always busy. I still spend probably 15 hours a week making jewelry at night and on the weekends. If that was my actual job, I would probably "work" 70 hours a week just because I like doing it.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:38 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,421,904 times
My question was somewhat tongue in cheek . This guys doesnt want to work or even try and sits around plays video games and surfs the web.
Oh and stays up till 4AM and claims he has a sleep disorder .

Old 10-20-2011, 12:19 PM

511 posts, read 2,452,364 times
I know a number of people who are unemployed and are doing just a half XXX job of sending out resumes etc. They do odd jobs for cash on the side, collect unemployment checks and live off the wife and relatives and a bit of savings. They enjoy reading, bumming around the shopping mall, hanging out at libraries and sleeping in. They HATE the thought of going back to work.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:12 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,684,169 times
Unemployment is HELL. I hate being broke and not being able to afford necessities like shelter, food, water, and medication. I am sick of the struggle to find a job.

I think the only people who would enjoy unemployment is the fired CEO who makes several million a year. Most normal people in this economy hate it to the point that some have even committed suicide.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
My question was somewhat tongue in cheek . This guys doesnt want to work or even try and sits around plays video games and surfs the web.
Oh and stays up till 4AM and claims he has a sleep disorder .
I think you're jealous. And why do you care?

I could see if he was living with you and sleeping on your couch and eating your food, but he isn't.

And how do you know he sits around all day playing video games and stays up till 4am? Did you install cameras in their house?

Why do you care if he doesn't work if you're not supporting him? His wife is working, the only one who has to a right to complain or do something about it is her.

Not you.

This falls into MYOB.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:02 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,849,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
As long as some sort of subsidy is coming in, then being unemployed is great. Sleep till 12. Go to coffee shop, go to bar, walk in the park. Working is overrated and is only a means to buys steaks and a six pack at the end of the week. Another poster posted this and I am using it, because it is a great saying.
I was actually a lot happier when I was unemployed than I am now. That is why I live like I'm a poor man and invest my money wisely so I can retire as quickly as possible!!

Let's face it, working for a living SUCKS. I've felt that way about every job I've had, even the good paying ones.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:04 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,058,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I was actually a lot happier when I was unemployed than I am now. That is why I live like I'm a poor man and invest my money wisely so I can retire as quickly as possible!!

Let's face it, working for a living SUCKS. I've felt that way about every job I've had, even the good paying ones.
Being out of work sucks even more (and people treat you like crap as well and don't want to know you). That is why I have put up with even crappy temp jobs.

I can't believe that people enjoy unemployment and actually 'play on XBOX & PS3 all day'.. Sounds only like something you only hear repeated on talk radio again & again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment