Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your company allow Halloween costumes at work?
Yes 27 69.23%
No 12 30.77%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 12:40 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,561,393 times

Advertisements

Does your company do anything special for the employees at Halloween?

Costume contests? Candy parties? Anything?

If so what are some of the most risque costumes people have worn?

What are some of the most creative costumes you've seen?

Does your company discourage employees to dress up for Halloween?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 12:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,049 posts, read 82,304,253 times
We allow it, and some of the admins will encourage it by e-mail and even have a contest, but it's not something done as a company sanctioned event,
just informal.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:02 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,286,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Does your company do anything special for the employees at Halloween?

Costume contests? Candy parties? Anything?

If so what are some of the most risque costumes people have worn?

What are some of the most creative costumes you've seen?

Does your company discourage employees to dress up for Halloween?
My husband and I own a business so we are the company, I guess.

I do not support the popular culture view of Halloween as "just another stupid holiday". While I am not a pagan, per se, the holiday does hold a spiritual meaning for me and I find the whole "trick or treat" mentality pretty degrading and asinine.

But then, I feel the same way about Xmas! LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-17-2011, 07:30 AM

255 posts, read 538,282 times
My company encourages its with contests, prizes etc. The thing is they are a micromanaged horror show to work at. Kraft durch Freude, anyone ?
I'll pass.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:44 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,512,905 times
Every place I have ever worked has always allowed Halloween costumes at work, if not I usually dress up anyways. Consistantly a good time. I think it allows management to see my lighter side, it may backfire and have them think I am a doofus, but regardless I will continue to dress up.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:26 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,525,678 times
I personally think its stupid, but I won't begrudge others who get into it.

Then again, I've been a Type I Diabetic since age six, so needless to say, I'm not all that fond of Halloween

Old 10-22-2011, 04:40 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,561,393 times
My company does a couple hours of a party for the employees.

We have a costume contest and judging.

I've never dressed up but I'm tempted to.

I am not a morning person so I'd have to prepare it well in advance so I'm not collecting everything at once rushing out of the house to make work on time.

People really go all out with elaborate costumes and props.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:05 PM

379 posts, read 816,218 times
[quote=20yrsinBranson;21308368]I find the whole "trick or treat" mentality pretty degrading and asinine.
(quote)I agree. This is the only holiday that's celebrated by knocking on people's doors! When will it stop? I wish people would celebrate it without ringing my door bell. But the post was about halloween so I'll add that I think companies allow costumes for those who wish to go that way. It would be cute if little kids would come by in their little kitten costumes to businesses.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:44 AM

2,543 posts, read 3,761,117 times
The last company I worked for was a small company and they always had company mandated Halloween costume contest. I no longer work there (thank God!) but to this day, I still carry this deep resentment from being forced into buying stupid halloween costume for some holiday that I don't even celebrate. I mean, if you are into it, then go for it, but don't force others into doing it too. Because of this, I make it a point to work from home on Halloween day and then eat out on that night so I don't have to deal with trick or treaters.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,255,416 times
Yes, they allow the clowns to ware their "true colors" on Halloween.

Looking forward to seeing them make even bigger fools of themselves. Gives me even more reason not to like them.

LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment