Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 11:18 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,693,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
That is nothing more than complete BS by people who are not good enough/smart enough to earn what they think they deserve.
Are you Stuart Smalley's dark side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 11:21 AM

525 posts, read 904,498 times
learn the art of persuasion or bs.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:03 PM

30,217 posts, read 25,315,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I've worked for 2 international companies in my life (manufacturing), and both did the same damn thing.

They advertised engineering positions requiring a B.Sc. (Masters preferred), and the starting salary was so low that floor personnel with overtime pay rivaled the pay for these positions.

Basically, their prototype engineer was single, from India on a work visa, with a Master's from the University of Bangladesh.

Of course they'll accept a 35k annual salary.
It's no wonder. The customer want's to pay dirt to the manufacturing company. What do you think is left over? It's called the race to the bottom. It hit manufacturing first, and now it's hitting everything. Get ready to see your lifestyle get flushed down the toilet as a result. As long as there is someone out there more poor than you willing to do the same work, you will have to adapt.

And I work half my work day on the floor of the factory. You better believe I can make what an engineer makes with overtime. One mistake outta me can cost the company many thousands of $$$ a day. I could potentially bankrupt my company if I screw up enough. They don't pay peanuts for that level of responsibility, because they don't want an imbecile with that level of responsibility.

Quote:
Everyone thinks they are underemployed. You are worth exactly what you are being paid right now. No more, no less. 80% are NOT unemployed or underemployed. That is nothing more than complete BS by people who are not good enough/smart enough to earn what they think they deserve.
Yup, I agree. Your only worth what you can produce or contribute. You might think your a know it all, but if you can't make your boss money, you boss surely won't pay you any money. Of course, my generation was the one that received trophies for losing, so go figure. People are gonna have to step it up and stop whining that life isn't fair. It isn't, so learn to deal with it.

Last edited by andywire; 10-14-2011 at 09:13 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 01:35 AM

4,289 posts, read 10,841,401 times
Quote:
Excuses ARE easier to come up with than reasons to work harder to get a job, right?

There are two types of employees. The first complains that life isn't fair, he/she is underpaid and underappreciated and does nothing but complain. The second works harder, studies harder, tries harder and gets a promotion.

There are jobs out there for the second type of person. Not for the first.
Wow. Really misguided assessment of things.

plenty of people who have worked there asses off and are unemployed these days. I know a ton of people who are talented and should be working, but are not.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 10-15-2011 at 02:55 AM..

Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,271,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Wow. Really misguided assessment of things.

plenty of people who have worked there asses off and are unemployed these days. I know a ton of people who are talented and should be working, but are not.
People are worth what they produce, not what they know. Knowledge and skill without producing results are not worth a thing.

A person who cannot find a job is not talented if they cannot turn their skill into results. I know it sounds harsh, but that is the truth.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:07 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,070,199 times
Quote:
Did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Let me know when you calm down and can have a rational discussion rather than an emotional rant against companies.

If a person makes $12/hr, they are worth $12/hr. If they were worth more than that, they would find a job for more money. It really IS that simple.
$12 or $32 an hour.. You won't be considered unless you have the EXACT skills that are being asked for. Many of these manufacturing jobs require at least 2+ years of SPECIFIC experience. $12 isn't the issue, getting your foot in the door when you are not a fresh faced college grad is.
Let me know of any openings or any companies that would consider someone who is NOT a fresh faced college grad who doesn't have specific experience for these so called jobs in demand

Old 10-19-2011, 09:16 AM

632 posts, read 1,186,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The usual BS
When companies have trouble recruiting in this market the cause is

1. The pay they are offering is below market
2. They are incompetent at hiring (often a problem when they let HR deal with hiring technical personnel)
3. They post insanely specific and demanding job criteria and are unwilling to compromise them because they are too lazy to develop employees.

There is no shortage of STEM graduates. There is a glut but they are unwilling to work for employers who don't provide benefits and use staffing agencies to low ball them and they are not proficient in the company's proprietary software and procedures. I am sicking of reading job ads that say job requirements: you have done this exact same job for 5 years with a laundry list of proprietary stuff.

Companies have to train. Science and engineering have infinite niches and it is impossible to be proficient in a field without on the job development. The universities will continue to pump out competent STEM grads. However, it seems as though companies will continue to waste them and watch as they dump the field because they are unwilling to develop them or pay them at a level that gives them a ROI on their college investment.

You hit the nail on this one, good post! When I heard one of the upper management at Siemens AG talk about how they are wanting to hire but can't find people with the suitable skills, I laugh because I know there are qualified candidates out there, these guys just don't want to hire them or rely on HR companies to do the hiring for them.

You are also correct about specific skills. Baker Hughes is a company I would love to work for (or get an internship with) but the jobs that are available are highly technical and extremely specific.

I also find it funny and sad that companies will say they don't have candidates but always seem to hire H1B visa holders, some of who are equally or "less" qualified than most of the Americans applying for the position. The whole, "We have to import talent" is complete bull$hit.

Talent is there, give em' a chance and see what they can do!

Old 10-19-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
$12 or $32 an hour.. You won't be considered unless you have the EXACT skills that are being asked for. Many of these manufacturing jobs require at least 2+ years of SPECIFIC experience. $12 isn't the issue, getting your foot in the door when you are not a fresh faced college grad is.
Let me know of any openings or any companies that would consider someone who is NOT a fresh faced college grad who doesn't have specific experience for these so called jobs in demand
Get the experience. Volunteer. Study at night. You don't need 2 years for those positions, you need to be able to prove that you can do the job.

You have to actually put effort in yourself outside of your day job if you want to get a job somewhere else. 5% of job hunting is sending out resumes. 95% of job hunting is educating yourself and networking.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:20 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,070,199 times
Quote:
Get the experience. Volunteer. Study at night. You don't need 2 years for those positions, you need to be able to prove that you can do the job.

You have to actually put effort in yourself outside of your day job if you want to get a job somewhere else. 5% of job hunting is sending out resumes. 95% of job hunting is educating yourself and networking.
Actually 90% of all jobs are gotten thru either ads or recruiters. The health of the job market is measured by Job Openings (JOLTS Report).

Old 10-19-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Actually 90% of all jobs are gotten thru either ads or recruiters. The health of the job market is measured by Job Openings (JOLTS Report).
But even if you apply for a job through an ad, you have to prove you can do the job first.

Actually applying for the job is the last 5-10% of the job hunting process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment