Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:38 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,958,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

I was thinking about emailing them and saying something like this:

"I just wanted to check the status one more time with this position as an opportunity has presented itself elsewhere and I will need to make a decision. I did not want to accept the position until I heard from you, however I do not want to pass up an opportunity waiting." etc tec.

basically, i just wanna get an answer out of them .

what yall think?
Don't bluff. They just might call it. If budgets are being evaluated for the position, it could be causing a delay. Your putting pressure on them is not going to go well for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 03:01 PM

16,952 posts, read 16,843,269 times
Quote:
Alright, I know I'm going a bit overboard here but just hear me out. . .

I'm thinking about emailing them (again).
It has been one week since I've emailed them.. So i dont think im being like psycho about it.. a whole week has passed

"I just wanted to check the status one more time with this position as an opportunity has presented itself elsewhere and I will need to make a decision. I did not want to accept the position until I heard from you, however I do not want to pass up an opportunity waiting." etc tec.

what yall think?
DON'T DO it.

If they are seriously thinking about you, this will be the kiss of death.

But mostly likely, they are NOT thinking about hiring you, and this looks like a "ploy" to them.

At which time, if they don't want you, they will give you the "hatchet" and wish you good luck with your future employer.

Everyone is hurting right now. The employers know all the tricks. All the desperation. And the over-kill on trying to find something.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they are selecting you.

Get some more eggs in your basket so that you don't look like this is the only job that is going on right now. (even if it is)

It's alot like dating. : Don't look desperate. Don't email too much. Act like other people are interested in you (even if they are not) .....

Old 10-11-2011, 03:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,761,565 times
Quote:

It has been one week since I've emailed them.. So i dont think im being like psycho about it.. a whole week has passed

what yall think?
I really wouldn't do that.

I had a friend do that trying to get a company to "move it along" in the hiring decision.

They told her best of luck in her new position.

I couldn't believe that she did this as she is very bright, but like you got impatient and it backfired big time.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:54 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,652,814 times
Optimus you may or may not still be in the running for the position. One sure fire way to take yourself out of the running is by being annoying, pushy or desperate.

Remember these folks are not just concentrating on hiring. They have their regular jobs to
Do and schedule conflicts and process to follow. Chill out.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:44 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,260,019 times
Quote:

what yall think?
No you will look desperate and not wanted by many employers

Old 10-11-2011, 08:42 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,757,664 times
I was just informed that they're contacting my references!!!!!

im so freakin excited at this point!! AHHHHH

All that waiting may end up paying off afterall. .

everyone keep ur fingers crossed for me!!!

Old 10-11-2011, 09:10 PM

30,593 posts, read 24,004,842 times
I certainly will. Now, if it takes them two weeks to do this, remember this thread! DO. NOT. GET. IMPATIENT!

Do not email, call or write them letters. Just wait. And like I said, keep looking for other jobs in the meantime.

I am SO GLAD that you asked about that possible email before you sent it. I know you just wanted an answer but you would have screwed yourself right out of that job or any future job if you had done that.

See, what if they decided that they didn't want you for THIS position but thought you were perfect for another one they had but you go tell them you have another possible job? Employers do not want to hear that.

So, while they check references, if you get impatient and just *have* to talk to someone about it, annoy your friends you put down as personal references...they'll get annoyed with you but they'll be far more understanding than a potential employer.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:06 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,757,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I certainly will. Now, if it takes them two weeks to do this, remember this thread! DO. NOT. GET. IMPATIENT!

Do not email, call or write them letters. Just wait. And like I said, keep looking for other jobs in the meantime.

I am SO GLAD that you asked about that possible email before you sent it. I know you just wanted an answer but you would have screwed yourself right out of that job or any future job if you had done that.

See, what if they decided that they didn't want you for THIS position but thought you were perfect for another one they had but you go tell them you have another possible job? Employers do not want to hear that.

So, while they check references, if you get impatient and just *have* to talk to someone about it, annoy your friends you put down as personal references...they'll get annoyed with you but they'll be far more understanding than a potential employer.
Yes, I will be checking with my references periodically and talking with u guys has helped as well!!! So, thanks to everyone I didn't completely lose it.

I'm glad I didnt send that email bluffing them and just waited, thank GOD.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:02 AM
YAZ

7,705 posts, read 14,165,597 times
Current job:

6 weeks from application to starting date.

I assisted the background check lady in finding my old boss.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:41 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,270,912 times
Quote:
I was just informed that they're contacting my references!!!!!

im so freakin excited at this point!! AHHHHH

All that waiting may end up paying off afterall. .

everyone keep ur fingers crossed for me!!!
Good to hear! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment