Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:17 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,668,485 times

Advertisements

I have been reading other peoples' salaries on this forum for the field they are in and what sort of hours they work and it has made me wondered whether I am being underpaid or not. I am a computer programmer with over 4 years of experience. I have a B.S. in Computer Science. At the beginning of the year I got a new job at a new company. I am making more than my old job but I am now living in a higher COL area. I work full time, make $70K, and provided with extra benefits like health care, tuition reimbursement, bonus at the end of the year, and 401K (those are the major ones anyway). Is this a decent package for what I have? I'm looking for very honest, candid posts about this. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 04:41 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,782,024 times
$70K with good benefits on a bachelor's degree sounds pretty good, but without knowing what value you bring to your company, it's pretty hard to say whether you are underpaid. I think a lot of people would gladly take your situation.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:37 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,802,052 times
Depends what sort of programmer you are At the government agency I worked for, they paid out the nose specifically for people who knew PowerBuilder, if you'd believe, because they're so rare these days.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:55 AM

4,289 posts, read 10,836,605 times
it sounds reasonable. As long as you are getting the occasional raise I dont see an issue

Old 09-22-2011, 09:24 AM

723 posts, read 2,201,528 times
CS degrees also depend on where you got them from. Community college up the block won't command a premium like an MIT or Stanford CS grad will. Also as mentioned above how much you contribute to the company and even how your company rates its CS guys (i.e. per line of code or something). Lastly do you have any certifications for whatever language or transferrable skills such as security or monetization?

Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,227,244 times
in this economy just be happy with what you got. if i was making 70k, i would be doing backflips right now

Old 09-22-2011, 10:06 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,328,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
in this economy just be happy with what you got. if i was making 70k, i would be doing backflips right now

That is exactly the kind of thinking that leads to exploitation. Every employee has the right to assess whether they are being treated fairly and paid appropriately.

"In this economy" is the biggest bunch of b.s. ever fed to the middle class by the wealthiest 2%. They get richer and laugh all the way to the bank while the masses bend over and take it because they are afraid of being replaced.

Don't believe it.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:31 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,227,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
That is exactly the kind of thinking that leads to exploitation. Every employee has the right to assess whether they are being treated fairly and paid appropriately.

"In this economy" is the biggest bunch of b.s. ever fed to the middle class by the wealthiest 2%. They get richer and laugh all the way to the bank while the masses bend over and take it because they are afraid of being replaced.

Don't believe it.
i consider 70k to be being paid appropriately. demand for computer programmers is decreasing and being outsourced. besides, if you are unhappy with 70k, you are either spoiled or living way above your means

Old 09-22-2011, 11:40 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,153,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post

Don't believe it.
70K is pretty good for a Bachelor's Degree with 4 years experience. I agree with everything else because even if the economy is doo-doo, nobody should stay at a job where they are underpaid and treated fairly. I'll go broke before I ever subject myself to unfair treatment/underpayment.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:41 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,261,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
i consider 70k to be being paid appropriately. demand for computer programmers is decreasing and being outsourced. besides, if you are unhappy with 70k, you are either spoiled or living way above your means
Really? 70k could be alot of money or not much money at all depending on where the job is located. COL is a big deal, if your in a place where rent in a NICE 2 bedroom appt in a NICE area is aroun 300$ then 70k is making a mint, but if you have to spend 1500$ a month just to stay out of the slums then 70k is a **** in the wind. There are places in cali I would not work for less than 200k a year but where I am now I am happy wtih 90k, EVERYTHING really hinges on the rent prices in a NICE area.

If I were forced to take a job in cali I would probably live in a tent and shower at a laundry mat and just bank the money and leave after a while, but the pay would have to be worth the degraded quality of life for that period of time, I would have to be able to bank several hundred thousand dollars in a few years otherwise im not going to live like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment