Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:17 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,557,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
A harvard grad ending up as a janitor sounds like a lagit story. The reasons these storys shock is because education is suppose to get you out of such positions so when there are cases when it doesent it causes people to question the validity of education or at the very least the cost of it.

I think if colleges signed contract with companies to GAURENTEE placement people would be singing a different tune.
You missed the point which was a story about a small minority offers little value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 04:23 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,646,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Are lawyers not getting cases?? what does this mean??
I think she was a corporate lawyer-I feel bad for her..you attend law school and get laid off then can't pay your bills..plus can't find a job. Again I think everyone missed the point-the economy sucks and she is doing what she must do to get by.

I read the article a few days ago but I believe she is in Miami so she probably went to the U of Miami which I hear is a pretty decent law program?? Or she may have went to Stetson-

Old 09-14-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I think she was a corporate lawyer-I feel bad for her..you attend law school and get laid off then can't pay your bills..plus can't find a job. Again I think everyone missed the point-the economy sucks and she is doing what she must do to get by.

I read the article a few days ago but I believe she is in Miami so she probably went to the U of Miami which I hear is a pretty decent law program?? Or she may have went to Stetson-
Good law programs but in this economy a very poor value.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:30 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,646,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Good law programs but in this economy a very poor value.

So if you can't be in a top tier law program you shouldn't go? I know at least three lawyers right now that can't find work-two went to FSU.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
So if you can't be in a top tier law program you shouldn't go? I know at least three lawyers right now that can't find work-two went to FSU.
That is a very legit question in this economy. I have friends that went to UF/FSU/Stetson/Miami/Florida Coastal.

If it was me I'd only be thinking about UF or FSU. They are both cheaper and higher ranked than the others. Maybe Miami is up there?

Big difference in not being able to find a job if you have 50k in student loans vs 100k+

Old 09-14-2011, 05:24 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,257,470 times
Only because stripping is somewhat socially acceptable. I dont see any sympathy for the poor guy who has to sell weed to pay his bills, he will get his teeth knocked into the side of the cop car and everyone will call him a dirt bag. Sorry guy strippers arent in nearly as high demand as female strippers. I find it commical what people give their sympathys too, yea stripping is legal but I would hardly call it moral. And she hardly took the moral high ground to pay the bills, it would be almost exactly the same as a guy selling weed to pay the bills.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:25 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,267,452 times
I don't know why but the first thing I thought about when I read this title was Hillary Clinton. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-15-2011, 08:00 AM

12,136 posts, read 23,468,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Only because stripping is somewhat socially acceptable. I dont see any sympathy for the poor guy who has to sell weed to pay his bills, he will get his teeth knocked into the side of the cop car and everyone will call him a dirt bag. Sorry guy strippers arent in nearly as high demand as female strippers. I find it commical what people give their sympathys too, yea stripping is legal but I would hardly call it moral. And she hardly took the moral high ground to pay the bills, it would be almost exactly the same as a guy selling weed to pay the bills.

It's not even close. What she is doing is legal. Selling weed is not. The equivalent would be him getting a job as a stripper. It doesn't matter if you consider it moral or not--It is legal.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,989,903 times
Quote:
Just because you live somewhere doesn't mean you went to school there, not to mention a good school. I'm sure Miami has its fair share of cheesy for-profits. The fact that they didn't mention which school she attended makes me wonder if the author was trying to hide something.

Imagine how a story would be received about a woman who studied at Acme For Profit Law School and couldn't get a job as a lawyer. Probably not as well as simply a poor woman who couldn't get a job as a lawyer after graduating from (ambiguous) law school.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Just because you live somewhere doesn't mean you went to school there, not to mention a good school. I'm sure Miami has its fair share of cheesy for-profits. The fact that they didn't mention which school she attended makes me wonder if the author was trying to hide something.

Imagine how a story would be received about a woman who studied at Acme For Profit Law School and couldn't get a job as a lawyer. Probably not as well as simply a poor woman who couldn't get a job as a lawyer after graduating from (ambiguous) law school.
Very good point. If she had attended a highly regarded school it would have only helped the author for his story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment