Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:57 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,230,885 times

Advertisements

Yes and no.

I say both only because there were aspects I didn't know until I tried applying it to the real world. I studied graphic design and was fed that there were a lot of opportunities out there for it. Yes, there is but with much more education in both print and web with tons of experience. College counselors are salespeople. I started freelancing from my home and established a small client base. Most that come to me do not want to pay a professional and for good reason. They are clueless and don't listen. A professional would drop in them in a heartbeat. I end up spending a lot more time on projects than I should because people have no idea the amount of work involved. I am constantly hear things like, "well I got a friend...." Usually this "friend" dabbles in something and has made their own business cards via an online print site for a few bucks. They offer a instant turn around and some of my clients want this as well.

Clients fail to realize that online print sites have templates and are not using them for a full fledge design. I have to be careful because people like to rip you off. I did a promo flyer for a Baptist Church in Detroit. The church never paid me. My fault for not locking the file. Lesson learned. Sometimes I have clients that get upset because they try to print the proof I sent them and can't. These types are usually the ones that had full intentions of ripping me off. There is no point in printing out a proof of a business card when it will be sent to professional printer. Sometimes I have clients realize they will not be able to rip me off and never get back to me. So I spent hours designing something I never got paid for. Asking people for money upfront doesn't work well either. Most people do not want to pay for something they don't have.

On top of all that BS, the cost of keeping computers, printers and software up to date is not cost effective for the few clients I have. I bought everything new 4 yrs ago and spent probably around 4500 dollars. This is when I had big dreams this was going to be my career. Its all outdated now. I just bought a new computer and won't have the money to update the design software for a while. Then found out that because of the new OS on macs, older design software won't even load. So the 800 I spent 4 yrs ago on the software is a complete waste. I won't be able to use it again. I am pretty much set that all of this is just a hobby. I'm back in school for something else that I probably won't like either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 PM

625 posts, read 958,089 times
NO NO NO NO! Office manager.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:00 PM

10,848 posts, read 15,011,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
It's definitely not every day you meet someone who designs sprinkler systems

What is your actual title...or are you self employed? What makes it such a good fit for you?
There aren't a lot of people who do this. There's less than 1,100 senior grade technicians in the US for an average of 22 per state. Little wonder you've never heard from one.

At last count California had less than 40.

My correct title would be Senior Engineering Technician but in most states I am the "Certificate Holder" or "Responsible Managing Employee".

The job is always challenging, always changing.

Very good job security which is nearly unmatched in any other field.

Two examples on licensing.

South Carolina requirements for a license.

Quote:
Applying for a Fire Sprinkler License
1. Contact the S.C. Contractors' Licensing Board (803) 896-4686 and request a South Carolina Fire Sprinkler Application Package.
2. All qualifiers must be certified NICET Level III or above. After you have obtained the NICET Level III or above, submit your completed application, Doc#145 for license to the S.C. Contractors’ Licensing Board and include all of the following:

Fee

Certificate of Liability Insurance*

Verification of NICET Level III or above**

*The name on the certificate of liability insurance must read the same as the licensee and have the same address. The insurers affording coverage must be licensed to write insurance policies in South Carolina. The S.C. Contractors' Licensing Board must be listed as the certificate holder.
South Carolina and North Carolina have reciprocating agreements. A South Carolina license can be used in North Carolina as the requirements are identical.

Illinois requirements for license.

Quote:
List the Designated Certified Person or, when applicable, the Responsible Managing Employee. Provide a copy of the Designated Certified Person’s Illinois Professional Engineering License or NICET Level III certification in fire protection technology automatic sprinkler layout.
All other states I work in have very similar licensing requirements.

Yeah, kind of bizarre but it's my name on all the state licenses of which there are six.

Pay might not be the best in the world but IMO isn't bad once you get 10-15 years experience.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:49 PM

30,157 posts, read 25,282,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

Pay might not be the best in the world but IMO isn't bad once you get 10-15 years experience.
50K for doing something you love? I would take it in a heartbeat. Money isn't everything, and some of these higher wage/salary jobs simply are not worth it.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:49 PM

3,578 posts, read 4,445,370 times
YES! VERY MUCH SO!

POWER GENERATION, predominantly landfill gas-to-Energy and Waste-to-Energy. Love it because I've not gone without work or a paycheck for 26 consecutive years; have raised my family in one of Los Angeles county's best towns, and I've have paid for most of my three childrens' education.

In my 26 years in the field, I have NEVER witnessed a surplus of power plant workers. There's always plenty of work to go around in this field, but very few applicants.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:55 PM

30,157 posts, read 25,282,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
as a chemist/biochemist I thought being a scientist would be an in demand and interesting job with a decent though not Wallstreet salary.

Instead it is a dying profession, with out of control unemployment, outsourcing, offshoring, and h1-b scam killing it. Most of the jobs are very boring. Companies only hire via agencies to shield them from having to pay benefits or adhere to employer laws and make their headcount seem low. The pay is $15-20 per hour typically. I have vowed that noone that I know will ever get a science degree again.
It's a shame too. A science degree is a noble pursuit, and requires quite a bit of brains. There is no prosperous reward for many however. We don't churn out people with these degrees like we used to, because there often isn't anything on the other side for a graduate. Look how many engineers our country has compared to say India... It's like our country is going backwards and everyone else ready to run the show. See how far this country really gets under the "service sector" model

Old 08-30-2011, 02:11 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,941,736 times
Quote:
For the people that said no, care to share more? In terms of why you got into your current industry and if you plan on getting out, when and how you plan to do so?

And what you 'really' want to do?
I got into my current industry because a CPA is "recession proof." I went to school for an additional year, got the 150 and am now 1 exam away from achieving my ceritification.

I plan on getting out next January when I hope to study economics abroad (i.e. when I feel I can pay off my 4-figure student loan)

Do something economics related: forecasting, analysis, development, research.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:03 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,651,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I got into my current industry because a CPA is "recession proof." I went to school for an additional year, got the 150 and am now 1 exam away from achieving my ceritification.

I plan on getting out next January when I hope to study economics abroad (i.e. when I feel I can pay off my 4-figure student loan)

Do something economics related: forecasting, analysis, development, research.

So you do like your job or no? Your CPA is affording you this oppotunity-my other half is 2 exams away from the CPA-loves it. And no does not do taxes.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:10 PM

358 posts, read 473,598 times
Quote:
Bartender sounds fun...but not for me though..I'm a proud introvert
LOL I love introverts! I am actually one myself, but there is a side of me that enjoys going into work and being an entertainer. I get to go into work wearing what I want, have fun interacting with others, set the mood(lighting, music, tvs,etc)mix some fabulous cocktails, play games with the customers all the while maintaining the professional distance of "the bartender." People want to know you, they want to interact with you; they open up in ways us introverts really enjoyall the while behaving themselves because they know you're in charge of the alcohol and they don't want to cross the line, or get cut off. Those that don't behave...get shown the front door But this is rare in my experience; we have a great crowd and I really enjoy my regulars. Someday I'd like to open my own little club.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:37 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,302,900 times
Yes

Research and physiochemist in pharma. I don't like every day, but I enjoy the line of work over all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment