Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:44 AM

383 posts, read 1,590,946 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm starting university in less than a month studying Marketing Management and I've been wondering if there's anyone on here working in marketing who could tell me what's their job like day-to-day?

Regards,
Jakub
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 01:47 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times
Marketing is part of my job.

Today:

Fielded calls from several people trying to sell me anything from advertising to gizmos.

Wrote a press release and sent it to industry publications.

Deconstructed that press release and put bits and pieces of it in our bi-monthly Constant Contact blast. Made a couple of minor editorial changes to other content in the blast and pushed "send."

Spoke to one of my partners about next years budget over coffee.

Looked at some artwork sent over by our graphic designer and asked him to make some changes.

Looked at screen shots of our new web site and worked on developing some RSS feed info for our web designer.

Posted a tidbit of info to the company Facebook and Twitter accounts.

Met with a couple of staffers about a project unrelated to marketing.

Booked hotel rooms and airfare for two conferences.

Met with one of our vendors about a co-op advertising campaign and where we'd spend the cash as well as how much cash to spend.

Tried to respond to a backlog of emails, made some progress.

Approved payment on some marketing related invoices.

I did some other things, but they weren't related to marketing.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,642,137 times
Its an extension of selling.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:07 AM

3,825 posts, read 9,489,640 times
Marketing is the front end of the sales process, getting people interested enough in your company to talk to a sales rep or pick up the phone. Sales is the next step, getting them to buy your product or service and the next step is delivery or fulfillment.

In a perfect world marketing does their thing and steps out of the way to let the sales department close the leads. I worked on the sales side of things for over ten years and just switched to a marketing job two years ago. Do fairly similar things as Annerk as well as a little bit of selling.

Basically it boils down to this: your job is to get the phone to ring and the email in-box to fill up with requests for information about your company. What makes it challenging is what worked last year to make the phone ring doesn't work this year.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:02 AM

856 posts, read 2,017,559 times
My experiences in marketing are similar to annerk's...you have to be multi-faceted and able to juggle a lot of projects at once. Strong leadership skills will get you to the next level (management wise) and strong technology skills are going to be key industry assets from here forward.

In your studies start to make note of the areas you like best about marketing and start to look now for those kinds of jobs...if you can find what you're interested in, look at the key points and see if you're missing any, then try to take classes to cover those areas. Internships will give you the experience you need to hit the ground running, make time for at least one internship.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:55 PM

8 posts, read 38,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobinJ View Post
strong technology skills are going to be key industry assets from here forward.
Can you elaborate further on this point? What kind of "technology" skills do you mean? Obviously going beyond simple html/webmastering I presume? Coding? mobile ads? Writing our own phone apps? Thanks.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:39 PM

856 posts, read 2,017,559 times
Ability to update web content...so experience in Oracle or a similar software. A lot of intranet sites are done in Sharepoint which will be helpful to know.

Use of an email distribution client like Constant Contact, SilverPop, Eloqua...

Knowledge of CRM databases which marketers pull client lists from for everything from proposals to direct mail campaigns. SAP, Salesforce, et al.

Boolean search terming and ability to research things on the net.

Software that focuses on knowledge management like Hubbard One.

Social media sites...and building catchy tag lines for the links.

Analytics software...everything from Google to Coremetrics. Then the ability to use those metrics for SEO and SEM.

Any other software that relates to the industry you'll be marketing. If you market food products it may be pay per click ads, if you market television shows it may be flash...etc.

Of course technology is going to change over time so this is just a starter list.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:24 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,364,773 times
There are many facets, you could be an account exec, in which you assist the client. Sales. Loyalty Marketing. Social Marketing. website and email marketing. Direct response marketing - direct mail, email blasts, etc. (this is what I am in). search engine optimization can be involved. Website development... although not to the extent of being a web developer. It would help if you could write. And know a little bit about graphic design adobe programs.
Event marketing is an area in and of itself. Product support and marketing - which if you are technically minded could be good.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 31,953 times
whats the salaries like for new grads and how long does it take to get an increase? my friends business whom she works for paid for her MBA how common is that?

Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketingwonder View Post
whats the salaries like for new grads and how long does it take to get an increase? my friends business whom she works for paid for her MBA how common is that?
Generally speaking you'll start as a marketing assistant. Salary ranges would be $18-30K depending on the exact job description and cost of living in that area.

Within the next year I'll be hiring an entry level marketing assistant. I won't offer more than $20K to start unless they've done several or a long-term internship or have other skills such as a portfolio of graphic design work that wows me. If I can move more of that in-house, I'd compensate accordingly. It's truly an entry level position, and I'd be just as inclined to hire someone with an AA as a BA.

On the other hand, I'm going to be restructuring my sales and marketing team, and expect to promote someone to an executive level position that I'm planning on creating, and they will be offered someplace around $50K plus bonuses that could be another $20-30K plus the opportunity to be flexible with their time and work from home a couple days a week. The salary won't really reflect the level of responsibility, however the bonus opportunity and perks will more than make up for it with this person and their family situation.

There would be the possibility of advancement and of course there would be annual raises, but nothing would be guaranteed and it would depend on whether I needed to fill a position. I fully expect I'll hire someone who will leave for a better opportunity after two years, and I'm fine with that.

We do pay for related training, subscriptions, and membership dues, we don't pay for degree studies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment