Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:34 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,686,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Do you drink on the job?
That's a big no-no at any decent place. Not so much at, say, Lester Berserker's Biker Gin Mill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 10:03 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Good stuff. Beefeater & Tangueray were used quite a lot where I worked. But, Fleischmann's Extra Dry got its far share of use as well. It has a lighter taste and mixes well with things like tonic.
Beefeaters gotta be my favorite but also love boodles. Don't think I've ever been to a bar that carried it though.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:03 PM

300 posts, read 251,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Do you drink on the job?
No.

I taste new creations to insure quality control, but I am not really a drinker in any setting.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 70,005,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'd bet a lot of people would disagree with this statement.
For sure! A good bartender knows how to cut off someone without it ending up in an unpleasant incident but there certainly is an art to it in fusing diplomacy and quiet firmness. I've had many a bartender unable to do it so I've always stepped in to handle the situation and never had a problem. I don't want someone leaving my place in a car and getting into a wreck which ruins someone else's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwrek View Post
No.

I taste new creations to insure quality control, but I am not really a drinker in any setting.
As a restaurant/bar owner I don't allow my bartenders to drink on the job period although they can absolutely have a drink on the house when everything is cleaned up and they're ready to leave. If a customer offers to buy them a drink they explain they can't drink on the job but would be happy to have a drink on them at the end of the shift. My bartenders are responsible for what goes into the register and accounting for everything sold. A bartender who drinks makes mistakes and poring over the register tapes at the end of a long night trying to figure out why everything is so messed up isn't my idea of fun!

Old 08-07-2011, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,649 times
How long did it take you to get your Bartender Certification? What is the most difficult drink to make?

Old 08-08-2011, 09:00 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,839,700 times
Quote:
Figured I would make a thread on the chance anyone had any questions for professional bartenders.

I've tended 12 years in places that range from strip clubs, extreme high end fine dining restaurants, and I am currently in a lounge in a high end resort in the midwest.

More of less a time killer, but since the economy sucks, it could give someone a new idea about a possible job.
How does someone get into bartending, since places always require quite a bit of experience?

Barback maybe? Although those don't seem too common.

I'd love to get into bartending, but it's such a tough industry to break into.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:21 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,185,836 times
I live in Las Vegas and I've been very unsuccessful at finding a decent job.

Bartending is something I did in school but that was a long time ago. How should I go about getting back up to speed so I can get a job? I wouldn't mind starting at the local hole in the wall.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:06 PM

9,159 posts, read 14,871,601 times
Quote:
I am extremely happy with my chosen line of work, for 3 straight years in Vegas I cleared 6 figures, all while having the time of my life. Most of that was tax free too.
I'm not usually "that guy" but I hope you understand the difference between "Tax Free" and "choosing to ignore and not pay taxes".

I agree that if people actually worked a serive job, it would make people act much differently. I had a few service jobs once I became old enough to wrk, ranging from grocery stocker/cashier, stock boy at JC Penney ( I was the guy that had to go around, collect trash and hangers at the registers and pull stuff from teh warehouse if needed and clean up after kids when they vomited, oh and chat up all the girls that worked the floor), then I moved to doing prep and register at a deli/ice cream shop. It definitely makes me try to consider the people on the other side, even though sometimes it backfires when I know just how stupid they actually are .

Old 08-08-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchelo View Post
How long did it take you to get your Bartender Certification? What is the most difficult drink to make?
Not very many drinks are difficult, some are just a royal pain in the butt though. Anything time consuming, and I despise anything "frozen" or blended.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
How does someone get into bartending, since places always require quite a bit of experience?

Barback maybe? Although those don't seem too common.

I'd love to get into bartending, but it's such a tough industry to break into.
Barback would be the way to go, or if you have a server gig, tell your management you want to bartend and see if they can squeeze you in on slow nights so you can learn the ropes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment