Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:11 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
If you can afford to quit, do it. If not, look for another job while there.If he fires you, you don't qualify for unemployment as an IC. If you decide to quit, no need to give notice - he's a louse.
If he is paying him as an independent contractor, he is not paying for unemployment insurance. If he has worked somewhere else, he may be eligible for unemployment, but not based on the earnings he made from this job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
If he is paying him as an independent contractor, he is not paying for unemployment insurance. If he has worked somewhere else, he may be eligible for unemployment, but not based on the earnings he made from this job.
Actually, under 1099 the OP is responsible for unemployment insurance payments and all that. If he tries to file for unemployment he may be presented with a rather large bill and not a check.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:22 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Actually this is not your employer. You are not an employee. While that means you can set your own hours, he can wave bye-bye, and breaks are unpaid if you take them. No benes, you're not an employee.
Exactly! Read the bolded part again! You can take as many breaks as you'd like to, but they're unpaid. You only bill for the hours you actually work.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:21 PM

330 posts, read 599,155 times
1099 is such a scam, the true fact is, that if they assign you hours, then you are an employee. its a scam for them to get out of paying taxes and such.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Sounds like your employer needs a refresher course on labor law and esp. the section explaining breaks and lunches.
Are you sure?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 PM

19 posts, read 38,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Question for the OP. Why are you working at a job which pays less than minimum wage and are a 1099. Other than being an illegal alien working in the United States, why did you accept this position and compensation?
I have two college degrees but had tough time finding work. My majors are in IT and Finance. IT has mostly contract jobs. I want a long term position. I just take any job that come to me first. Right now I'm applying jobs for finance. I graduated on 09, the bad year to find work. Hopefully I'll land one soon. I'm willing to learn and grow but seems like employers want years experience when I apply.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaaaaaaa034 View Post
I have two college degrees but had tough time finding work. My majors are in IT and Finance. IT has mostly contract jobs. I want a long term position. I just take any job that come to me first. Right now I'm applying jobs for finance. I graduated on 09, the bad year to find work. Hopefully I'll land one soon. I'm willing to learn and grow but seems like employers want years experience when I apply.
What kind of IT work?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:58 PM

19 posts, read 38,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What kind of IT work?
Network related. I know I can land a job but mostly contracts and waiting for the right one takes too much time so I just work any job as long I have some money but the employer I have now is like an a s s.

I don't know why we have 1099. The person hire you and they make profit from you. How can they not consider you as an employee ?

Old 06-22-2011, 12:00 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaaaaaaa034 View Post
Network related. I know I can land a job but mostly contracts and waiting for the right one takes too much time so I just work any job as long I have some money but the employer I have now is like an a s s.

I don't know why we have 1099. The person hire you and they make profit from you. How can they not consider you as an employee ?
Well the whole point of 1099 is that you are your own employer. They are your client, and you have many of them. Not just one. And your many clients did not hire you, they logically will not think of you as an employee.

The company you are providing service to at the moment sounds bad, but I don't think you can blame them entirely for your unhappy situation, if you don't feel like looking for full-time work.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:13 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Take your 15 minute break. The idea of getting a lawyer over this is stupid. None would touch the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment