Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 06:33 PM

40 posts, read 140,913 times

Advertisements

Pre-Selection for Gov Jobs @ PAX River?
I have tried numerous times to get a job at Pax River, MD Naval base and know without a doubt I was highly qualified for the position. I held the same position in the past, job was the same series as previously held, resume reflected all of the key words, and I was told either I didn't qualify for the job or I wasn't the best qualified.

I believe pre-selection took place, however, it is very difficult to prove because management is good at dotting their "I's" and crossing their "T's" - I also believe HRO is backing management because management determines the HRO Representative's yearly award and provides input for her annual evaluation.

Has anyone else experience this same bs at Pax River, Maryland? I am considering filing a class action suit, however wanted to determine, if I am wasting my time or not.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 06:57 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
I think you are wasting your time.

For starters, most jobs advertised today are going unfilled because of the federal hiring freeze. They advertise and solicit applicants but oftentimes do not get funding approved to hire anyone.

Second, just because you are highly qualified does not mean that you are the most highly qualified, or that they are required to hire a highly qualified applicant. The government is perfectly within their right to hire a less qualified applicant at a lower pay scale. They are also allowed to hire from within or to use an exception in the hiring process to hire someone who the algorithm does not recommend.

Third, merely mentioning the keywords is not sufficient enough to get a job with the government. The hiring process can seem tedious and idiot-proof, but there's more to it than that.

And finally, that other individuals were not hired at Pax River is not enough to file a class action lawsuit. You have to demonstrate that all were not hired for the same reasons and that they had the same qualifications as you.

It all seems pretty absurd. More than likely you just weren't hired because they didn't hire at all, or preferred someone else.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:13 AM

40 posts, read 140,913 times
Since my post over 25 folks have contacted me and stated that they were not hired for the same reasons and that they are willing to speak with an attorney. Although, your points are well stated and understood, it certainly appears, as if something is going on behind the closed doors re: hiring process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment