Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:46 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,637,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No. Like the exact opposite of that.

If your focus is as specific as you example though:
Use your insight, wit and research ability to learn the favorite or frequent local watering hole where the people from that place go after work, then try "stopping in for a cold one" at lunch or happy hour and chatting with the very people who DO work up in that office you want to be inside of. Buy a round and make a good impression. Rinse and repeat.

Want some other examples?
Sure if you are applying for a professional stalker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 02:49 PM

28 posts, read 124,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
That just sounds outrageous. Is he supposed to spy on these people? I think the OP just wants a simple j-o-b, not the hands-on experience to write a self-help book on the craziest methods of attaining employment.
Exactly. I just want a simple j-o-b in order to get my foot in the door.

LOL! I can understand wanting to stick out from the rest and make a good impression, but that is entirely too extreme. Also, I do realize people drink, but that's not the kind of impression I'm trying to make in order to get an entry-level position.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:53 PM

34,116 posts, read 83,086,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Creative idea, going to the bar and all, but that sure is a lot of energy and time being put into something that might not work out for you. Money too.
Just an off the cuff example... it's not an instruction manual fer crissakes.

The point... is to get out of your techy comfort zone and FIND the actual people
who might have some influence over getting you the things you want in your life.

Will you get (more) dates by looking at photo's on plentyoffish...
or by talking to actual people out in the real world? It's that simple.

What was it Einstein said about doing the same thing over and over...

Old 06-01-2011, 03:11 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,210,559 times
Some Employment Resources

Old 06-01-2011, 06:50 PM

826 posts, read 1,895,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHthePossibilities View Post
I have no idea where to search for jobs anymore. I've been applying, interviewing, and being rejected by all for months and now I've once again hit that state of confusion/frustration... unsure of where to look, where I want to go, and what I want to do. I think I've searched for jobs on just about every job site imaginable but I'm not sure I'm doing it right anymore. I really want to relocate, and I've been mainly focusing on the DC Metro Area because it would be easy to move there being from Richmond, but I really want to work, live, and move elsewhere, preferably down South in a major city in NC or in GA. Also, my degree is in journalism but I have a background in customer service, administration, data entry special events, and social media. All I really want is an entry level job/internship where I will be able to gain experience that pays a decent amount of money so that I can afford to pay off my student loans and be a responsible adult.

What are the best websites to search for jobs (that could hopefully turn into job offers)?!
You are speaking my language. I am in such deep frustration, I want to cry. I have interviewed and interviewed and come close a couple of times only to get nothing (I am trying to relocate). My social and personal life is in limbo because of this job search thing.

Basically just wanted to say I understand

Old 06-03-2011, 07:47 AM

123 posts, read 245,837 times
If you are only looking at the DC metro area and the South no wonder you are having a hardtime.

It's a big country and there are lots of PR/media type jobs and many more customer service jobs all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment