Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:54 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,238,205 times

Advertisements

There are no federal laws that protect you but back in the day there were union contracts that protected workers, collective bargaining is largely a thing of the past by design from corporations.

Once the unions fell apart it basicly became a slave/master relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:12 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,184,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
How did you manage that. What exactly is a non-compete law?
If McDonalds fires you, you agree not to go work for Burger King. Or in my example, they dangle some $$ and say you can't work for any competitor in X mile radius, along with 12 more pages of BS attached strings. I told them to stick it up their ...

Old 05-04-2011, 05:20 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,527,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
So the people that own the companies, that take on all the risks should have no say in how to run there companies? I start a business and the employees are going to tell me what is up huh? Doesn't work for me. That is not what this nation is about althought we have plenty of people that want to get something for nothing. Hard work is what built this nation and those that are willing to work hard for what they get can get ahead in life. What you want is to not work and have someone give you everything. Why should an employer have to put up with you? Why should a tax payer have to support you because you don't want to work?

We should get rid of the minumum wage and pay people what they are worth. let the market dictate what the minumum wage is. You would have a more effcient system that way. Some would make a lot more money, others like you would not make much. Do you think an employer will get rid of someone that puts their shoulder to the wheel and gets the job done? People that work would get plenty of raises and those that don't would either be let go or realize that they need to produce to make it in life.

Why should anyone set the vacation time? Are you worth 4 weeks time off? What have you personally done to make your self worthy of the kind of benefits you think should be handed over to every working person?
It's a darned good thing that folks like you are in the *minority*. As soon as the American proletariat comes out of its collective "American Idol" daze (once the day comes they can't pay their cable bill out of their meager salaries), it's the employers that will see what it's like to be "at the tail end of things" as opposed to being on the front lines, barking orders to overworked employees day and night.

Someday soon, the vast majority of the country will see how badly they've been screwed over by a select, monied minority. Someday, it's people like *us* that will make the rules, as we'll have the upper hand. It's been done before, and it will be done again - the elite classes rarely stay where they are for very long. French Revolution Redux, anyone?

And as for this "working hard and ye shall be rewarded" thing, well, that never worked for me (and a whole lotta other people I know), due to people feeling "threatened" by others of greater intelligence than them, and therefore feel like they need to bully their "subjects" into submission. I'm sorry, I went through all of that, and guess what? It'll never happen again, not for this person. I just consider it my job to spread the news about the inherent unfairness of the employer / employee system , and I do it because I can.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,530,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Here in Tennessee companys can terminate you for having an one accident on the job when you have to go to the hospital. I think this is crazy because people do make mistakes.

News, 1. "I was wrongfully terminated."

Maybe if you lived in Montana you'd have a point. Montana is the only state in the nation with a law saying you can only be fired for just cause. Otherwise, you live in an at-will state. That means you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all. They don't have to have a good reason. They don't even have to give a reason in most states. Boss in a bad mood? He or she can fire you. HR didn't like the shoes you wore that day? Buh-bye.

10 Workplace Rights You Think You Have -- But Don't - Careers Articles
I think at will is how it should be. As a business owner you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get rid of an employee who isn't helping your business

Also, sometimes it's not that someone did something gravely wrong but maybe they just aren't a good fit for the company, team they are working on, etc.

Also, people act as if people get fired for wearing a blue shirt to work. I'm sure at times someone has been fired for having a disagreement with a boss about politics or sports or something like that but business people are in business to make money right.

It costs a ton of money, time and effort to hire and train a new employee. It's not in a company or bosses interest to fire people for no reason just to have to spend time money and energy hiring someone new who may or may not work out.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
It's a darned good thing that folks like you are in the *minority*. As soon as the American proletariat comes out of its collective "American Idol" daze (once the day comes they can't pay their cable bill out of their meager salaries), it's the employers that will see what it's like to be "at the tail end of things" as opposed to being on the front lines, barking orders to overworked employees day and night.

Someday soon, the vast majority of the country will see how badly they've been screwed over by a select, monied minority. Someday, it's people like *us* that will make the rules, as we'll have the upper hand. It's been done before, and it will be done again - the elite classes rarely stay where they are for very long. French Revolution Redux, anyone?

And as for this "working hard and ye shall be rewarded" thing, well, that never worked for me (and a whole lotta other people I know), due to people feeling "threatened" by others of greater intelligence than them, and therefore feel like they need to bully their "subjects" into submission. I'm sorry, I went through all of that, and guess what? It'll never happen again, not for this person. I just consider it my job to spread the news about the inherent unfairness of the employer / employee system , and I do it because I can.
The real crux is the employers have the protection of law enforcement on their side, we are a nation of unfair laws and because the ATF and FBI are like para military groups your odds of overthrowing them are slim. Simpler to just get roseta stone and move. America is quickly becoming the place to NOT be.

As I said in another post, as long as I can make 100k here and live well I will stay as soon as that ceases to be true I will start making arrangements to leave. It sounds like alot of others are already in that boat, get your pass port in order and start learning a new language, it has passed the point of just joking about it at a BBQ, it is now here.

In alot of other nations having a living wage job is a human right, in the USA its dog eat dog and its getting old.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:17 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,530,960 times
Quote:
The real crux is the employers have the protection of law enforcement on their side, we are a nation of unfair laws and because the ATF and FBI are like para military groups your odds of overthrowing them are slim. Simpler to just get roseta stone and move. America is quickly becoming the place to NOT be.

As I said in another post, as long as I can make 100k here and live well I will stay as soon as that ceases to be true I will start making arrangements to leave. It sounds like alot of others are already in that boat, get your pass port in order and start learning a new language, it has passed the point of just joking about it at a BBQ, it is now here.

In alot of other nations having a living wage job is a human right, in the USA its dog eat dog and its getting old.
The people who go on and on about leaving the country are the ones who will never do it and probably aren't in a position to anyway.

Wasn't Sean Penn going to leave a few years ago? Too bad he's still here, I was x'ing off the days on my calendar for that one.

Report back to us when you leave.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:59 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,845,826 times
Quote:

Are you in high school by any chance?

Old 05-04-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
The people who go on and on about leaving the country are the ones who will never do it and probably aren't in a position to anyway.

Wasn't Sean Penn going to leave a few years ago? Too bad he's still here, I was x'ing off the days on my calendar for that one.

Report back to us when you leave.
It seems like there is both a math and reading comprehension problem on these forums. As long as I can make a good living here and am riding the gravy train I will stay there is no reason to leave, if things keep going down hill and it effects my employment and I cant get back on the train THEN I will start thinking about it.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:22 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,527,845 times
Quote:
It seems like there is both a math and reading comprehension problem on these forums. As long as I can make a good living here and am riding the gravy train I will stay there is no reason to leave, if things keep going down hill and it effects my employment and I cant get back on the train THEN I will start thinking about it.
Have you considered Canada by any chance? Unlike the US, Canada has a great economy and a much lower UE rate than the US. And oh, the min wage in Ontario is $10.25 an hour, a full $3 an hour higher than here in the US. Of course, the min wage in Sweden is $19 an hour...lol.

But the point I want to make, worker's rights here in the US really are lacking compared to most other first world nations, and yet our economy is in the dumps? Hmmm, gotta wonder why that is....? Perhaps it's because we have such a huge chunk of our population that are "forbidden" to work, simply because they've been "gapped." These include some very smart, talented people, whose skills will never be utilized by anyone, such a company making a profit.

Until the mindset of "workers suck, bosses rule" changes, I really don't see much hope for the future of this economy. I really don't.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:25 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,845,826 times
Quote:

Until the mindset of "workers suck, bosses rule" changes, I really don't see much hope for the future of this economy. I really don't.
You do know that bosses are workers too, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment