Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:03 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,553,617 times

Advertisements

Is there a way to find out things that may come up in a background check that you don't know, but a company might?

Let's say you ended a job to finish college. You were supposed to take classes, but those would have interfered with you graduating. So, you graduate and you are not hired back on next season.(Part-time seasonal work) Is there a way to find out if you were officially fired and when?

I'm calling them now, but I don't think H&R Block even knows if they have an HR office.

I think this was asked of me during a polygraph in 2007, but even I didn't know.

Ok, I just gave up on trying to call them, they seem to be all automated. I don't even think the guy who did the background check back then tried this hard. Apparently I need a whole employment agency to verify this.

PS. The way they described it, H&R Block ends employment in May and hires back on in December or January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:06 AM

649 posts, read 1,133,574 times
isn't it a seasonal job by definition, you should expect a layoff at the end of tax season?

Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidArizona View Post
isn't it a seasonal job by definition, you should expect a layoff at the end of tax season?

Yeah. That's how they told me it worked. Then we took classes and if classes were completed, we would be hired back on.

I thought I'd have to be hired back in order to be fired.

It's always shifty. I had an exit interview, but the supervisor(who left 1 year later) never showed up even after I waited at the office for hours.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:10 AM

Did you even get a paycheck, or just took the class?

Old 04-15-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Did you even get a paycheck, or just took the class?

I got a W-2 and end of salary statement for that year.

They don't pay us to take the classes.

In fact, some of the classes we have to pay for. lol

I tried getting the classes, but after 3 of them(we need 24 hours worth, each class being 2-3 hours), some of them I arrived early at the location on the paper and it was like a ghost town.

Hey had online classes too, but so did my college. When it comes time to choose . . . . .

Last edited by Java378; 04-15-2011 at 10:44 AM..

Old 04-15-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
I got a W-2 and end of salary statement for that year.

They don't pay us to take the classes.

In fact, some of the classes we have to pay for. lol

I tried getting the classes, but after 3 of them(we need 24 hours worth, each class being 2-3 hours), some of them I arrived early at the location on the paper and it was like a ghost town.

Hey had online classes too, but so did my college. When it comes time to choose . . . . .
wow, not sure if you were even fully hired lol. maybe just leave it off your resume? kind of a gray area here

Old 04-15-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
wow, not sure if you were even fully hired lol. maybe just leave it off your resume? kind of a gray area here

Yeah, but when the police department asked, they wanted a "yes or no".

I feel that if others can expect a yes or no, I need a yes or no to give them.

But, I see what you're saying.

In other news, I received 5 replies in the mail form the county saying I do not meet the requirements for Customer Support Supervisor. I only applied once, lol. That Tornado really did a number.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:10 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,719,600 times
I don't think you were fired. You can come back for next tax season and go through the same hiring process as everyone else does the next tax season.

I hate to break it to you, but seasonal work is different than the real world. It's a lot like temporary work. When it's done, it's done. No ifs ands or buts. You take it knowing when it ends. Unless you do something which causes you to get fired the job ends.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:23 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,087,830 times
I would go ahead and say "no" by the sound of it.

H&R Block uses a service for employment verification called The Work Number. Anyone trying to do an employment verification would have to go through this site: The Work Number | Instant Online Verifications

Because they use this site, no one in Human Resources will likely discuss past employees. It's a touchy subject, companies get sued over making disparaging remarks. Usually the way around it is by asking if you are "eligible to be rehired." While they may not say if you were fired, they can say whether or not they would consider rehiring you, which is pretty much the same thing of course. Lawyers...

Old 04-15-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I would go ahead and say "no" by the sound of it.

H&R Block uses a service for employment verification called The Work Number. Anyone trying to do an employment verification would have to go through this site: The Work Number | Instant Online Verifications

Because they use this site, no one in Human Resources will likely discuss past employees. It's a touchy subject, companies get sued over making disparaging remarks. Usually the way around it is by asking if you are "eligible to be rehired." While they may not say if you were fired, they can say whether or not they would consider rehiring you, which is pretty much the same thing of course. Lawyers...
some temp agencies I go through use The Work Number as well. They pretty much just verify dates of the assignment. Of course I collect references from the agency and/or company I was assigned to, but the Work Number is the "official" HR Dept I guess in a case like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment