Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:50 PM

164 posts, read 329,503 times

Advertisements

In the mining industry 12hr and 13hr are very common! But in reality they can and have forced guys work up to 17hrs a day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 07:14 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,529,373 times
Depends on your family situation and how much you enjoy your job. I used to work 55 hours a week before I had a family and it was fine because I was paid OT. Now I'm at the office 30 hours a week and then do some more work from home. Some of it is luck and some of it depends what field you are in and the quality of your company boss.

My wife and I could work another 10 hours a week each and make more but we are choosing quality of life. Very nice to have that option.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:17 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,175,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Depends on your family situation and how much you enjoy your job. I used to work 55 hours a week before I had a family and it was fine because I was paid OT. Now I'm at the office 30 hours a week and then do some more work from home. Some of it is luck and some of it depends what field you are in and the quality of your company boss.

My wife and I could work another 10 hours a week each and make more but we are choosing quality of life. Very nice to have that option.
Are you salaried?

I keep seeing people say they can work overtime, used to work overtime..., etc. Do you get OT as a salaried employee or are you hourly?

Old 08-16-2012, 07:28 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,529,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Are you salaried?

I keep seeing people say they can work overtime, used to work overtime..., etc. Do you get OT as a salaried employee or are you hourly?
I was hourly. It was at an investment firm that treated workers well. Only senior managers and above were salaried.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:11 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,626,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I was hourly. It was at an investment firm that treated workers well. Only senior managers and above were salaried.

Nice! Where I worked we were salary and I worked 60 hours a week..EVERY week...it was expected of us. One of the reasons I'm moving into the healthcare field..at least I'll get paid for OT.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:29 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,932,513 times
General rule: If you are regularly being expected to work without pay, you are being used. This is why in career planning, its a good idea to find a career that pays on an hourly basis. REality is that for most of us, its better to be one of the indians than one of the chiefs, cause the chiefs normally are the ones working all the extra hours, taking all the responsibilty and the ulcers, and not making a lot more money. (Sometimes less calculated on an hourly basis) The hourly guy gets to put in his time and when his shift is done, he goes home, and forgets his job and has no reason to lose sleep. This kind of a job is good also in that it usually means that you have a marketable skill that you can take with you. EG: Nursing, machinist. Management can be the worst.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:37 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,626,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
General rule: If you are regularly being expected to work without pay, you are being used. This is why in career planning, its a good idea to find a career that pays on an hourly basis. REality is that for most of us, its better to be one of the indians than one of the chiefs, cause the chiefs normally are the ones working all the extra hours, taking all the responsibilty and the ulcers, and not making a lot more money. (Sometimes less calculated on an hourly basis) The hourly guy gets to put in his time and when his shift is done, he goes home, and forgets his job and has no reason to lose sleep. This kind of a job is good also in that it usually means that you have a marketable skill that you can take with you. EG: Nursing, machinist. Management can be the worst.

I wasn't in management....yes I may be slow but I figured I was being used..I knew more than my manager so I knew it was time to find another career..I was killing myself for what? Subpar benefits and crappy pay.

Trust me I wasn't making much and after doing the math...well let's just say I was making peanuts factoring the ot or lack there of. We also never recevied bonuses...

One of the wost aspects? I was told 'I just be happy I have a job." That was when I decided to obtain a marketable skill

Old 08-17-2012, 06:16 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,634,707 times
I rarely work more than 40 hours a week at my job.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:31 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,907,520 times
I work for a Big 4 firm and their response to the long hours hasn't been less hours, but A LOT of flexibility. There's a lot of BS about work life balance that was thrown at us, but one thing that has rang true is that they are extremely flexibile as they said they would be. As long as you are a good performer and you communicate, you can do nearly do nearly whatever you want in regards to flexibility. I'm OK with long hours so long as the trade-off is flexibility.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:53 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,059,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I work for a Big 4 firm and their response to the long hours hasn't been less hours, but A LOT of flexibility. There's a lot of BS about work life balance that was thrown at us, but one thing that has rang true is that they are extremely flexibile as they said they would be. As long as you are a good performer and you communicate, you can do nearly do nearly whatever you want in regards to flexibility. I'm OK with long hours so long as the trade-off is flexibility.
That is a very good point. To me, there is nothing more frustrating than being expected to work until 1 AM, and then getting yelled at the next morning for being 5 minutes late!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment