Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 04:24 PM

3,979 posts, read 7,721,186 times

Advertisements

wow! this is terrific! thank you, I really can make this work for me! I will practice this and make sure it sounds natural when I say it! great response, thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
If you are choosing not to disclose your current salary, then say so but don't say you "can't" because that is not accurate. You don't wish to. I would not buy the "I'm not permitted to discuss my salary" because that rule typically applies to discussing your current salary with fellow employees. I would much rather hear "I would rather not discuss my current salary because it is not in line with industry norms" than "I can't tell you."

I would tell them that your current position is temporary and while the salary is much lower than normal for this type of work, you took it because you wanted to keep your skills fresh while seeking a permanent position that pays more in line with the norm. Whether you wish to disclose the actual figure is up to you but if it truly is well below the norm, I would include that information: "I am currently making xx, which is much lower than the normal range for this type of work but I wanted to keep my skills fresh while looking for something permanent...." Something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 04:30 PM

thank you all for the helpful tips, I will do my best to not say a definate number, and then perhaps ask them what is the salary range for the position? Could I do that?

Old 04-06-2011, 05:23 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,972,117 times
Quote:
What you say is: "The policy at my current company prohibits me from discussing my compensation."
The thing is, if you say that your company has a policy prohibiting it, they may call your employer and find out you lied. And they'll ask what your salary really is and find out anyway. So now you've got two strikes against you--your low salary, and your lie.

Quote:
would be inclined to answer politely with a smile, 'well, I can't tell you what I am currently making, but I can tell you what I'm looking for.'
One of the best ways to irritate an employer--and thus not get hired--is to not answer the question they asked.

Quote:
After all, this is really what the prospective employer is trying to find out, right?
No, not entirely. They also want to find out what your current employer thinks you are worth.

I would answer "My current salary is X, and based on my experience and qualifications I would like to find a position that is an improvement on that." I may, if I feel confident, go on to say the salary range I am looking for.

As for

Old 04-06-2011, 05:39 PM

275 posts, read 744,881 times
Just say NDA.

If, as Kodaka says, they call your previous Employer, it is question for you whether you would like to work for this company. You do not ask hiring Manager how much he or she is making or what's his morgage is, right? If they need your skills, they'll pay reasonably, if they are trying to find cheapest candidate, they should put in their ad or mention their range in order to save everybody's time.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:10 PM

5,346 posts, read 6,201,204 times
kind of piggy backing off of this thread. I had a phone interview last week and they asked me what the minimum salary I would take to consider working there was. When I gave them my minimum (assuming I am offered a position) have I anchored the start of the negotiations around that minimum? Or were they just looking to see if my minimum was within the range they had budgeted for the position?

Old 04-07-2011, 04:39 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,726,797 times
Quote:
The thing is, if you say that your company has a policy prohibiting it, they may call your employer and find out you lied. And they'll ask what your salary really is and find out anyway. So now you've got two strikes against you--your low salary, and your lie.
I would not want to work for a company that goes behind my back either. Imagine the back-stabbing work environment you'd be entering.

Of course, the NDA line someone mentioned is good, too.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:30 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,972,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I would not want to work for a company that goes behind my back either. Imagine the back-stabbing work environment you'd be entering.

Calling your employment references isn't 'going behind your back'. That's part of the hiring process and when you apply or send your resume, you are accepting that they have a right to do it.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:14 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,380,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post

NDAs are typically signed by people in particular circumstances: those in on the ground floor of a start up, workers that will be privy to trade secrets, future products, internal processes that are not to be disclosed, or hold high positions. If someone interviewing for a admin assistant or other job like that told us they signed an NDA, it would most definitely be verified by HR because it doesn't sound right. I have signed many NDAs in my career and none of them have mentioned my salary. It was all about inside information.

Going behind one's back sounds more like something that would be said about gossiping friends/family. It has no place in the business environment. Employers verify background information that candidates provide. If the candidate is truthful they have nothing to worry about. Verifying that they signed an NDA is no different than calling their college to verify that they actually attended and graduated.

To think that a company that does background checks to verify what an interviewee has said means the business environment is "back-stabbing" is just bizarre.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 AM

536 posts, read 1,434,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
NDAs are typically signed by people in particular circumstances: those in on the ground floor of a start up, workers that will be privy to trade secrets, future products, internal processes that are not to be disclosed, or hold high positions. If someone interviewing for a admin assistant or other job like that told us they signed an NDA, it would most definitely be verified by HR because it doesn't sound right. I have signed many NDAs in my career and none of them have mentioned my salary. It was all about inside information.

Going behind one's back sounds more like something that would be said about gossiping friends/family. It has no place in the business environment. Employers verify background information that candidates provide. If the candidate is truthful they have nothing to worry about. Verifying that they signed an NDA is no different than calling their college to verify that they actually attended and graduated.

To think that a company that does background checks to verify what an interviewee has said means the business environment is "back-stabbing" is just bizarre.
Agreed, I'm at a loss how the poster went from that to implications of 'back-stabbing' and such.

I disagree with the admin assistant comment. Some of our AAs here, the exec ones to be specific, have access to or even handle lots of high-level files for the bigwigs. Definitely NDA territory.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:50 AM

ok, I don't know what NDA stands for. And I'm a little worried about giving the exact dollar amount I am making on my current temp job. It's embarassingly low. So I would rather not tell them. I may say something like, "I believe my current salary is below industry norms, is there a range that this position is in line with?" I suppose if they still demand an exact figure on my current job, I may just have to tell them, still not sure?

How does that sound? Try to turn in back on the interviewer? Should I expect them to give this range during the initial phone interview?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment