Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:41 PM

924 posts, read 2,232,128 times

Advertisements

Considering the fact my salary has been frozen for 3+ years and I received just a token performance bonus in 2010 for 2009 (but nothing this year for 2010), but I've done relatively well on a recent performance review, I've accepted that the company won't try to motivate me to do even more with extra financial rewards. That being said, is it too much to ask of my supervisor to give me a pat on the back now and then or say VAW, you did a great job! Keep it up! Positive reinforcement would probably motivate me to try harder, aim higher. After all, after a recent collective lay off, I heard management discussing how they wanted to implement strategies to retain the remaining staff, especially senior personnel.

Let me give you a recent example of where my supervisor could have patted me on the back for a job well done. They recently launched a weekly contest that will last the next 2 months and the schedule changes every week giving everyone a chance to participate.

It's a skills competition and the reward is a lunch for the winning team, paid for by the company. There are 6 teams of 10 people each representing various departments, i.e. sales, customer service, finance, IT, etc. 60 people in total. It's a skills competition that tests our knowledge of company facts, procedures, trivia. The other day was round 1. I finished 6th, surprising several team members in the process. Apparently they didn't expect me to know so much about the company as 3 of them have been there longer than I have. Guess what my supervisor said when I finished in 6th place overall , therefore in the top 10% and 1st in my team. Nothing. Not even a pat on the back or way to go VAW! Although a new team member did congratulate me, so that's at least something.

But is it too much to ask my supervisor, who as you may know from past threads, wanted to replace me before, to now offer some positive reinforcement? I don't think it's too much to ask. Another supervisor on the other hand applauded her own team member for his 3rd place finish...you should have seen how much she was gushing about his knowledge. I guess the conclusion is that my supervisor still hates me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,277,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
But is it too much to ask my supervisor, who as you may know from past threads, wanted to replace me before, to now offer some positive reinforcement? I don't think it's too much to ask. Another supervisor on the other hand applauded her own team member for his 3rd place finish...you should have seen how much she was gushing about his knowledge. I guess the conclusion is that my supervisor still hates me.
Yes, it is too much to ask. You're lucky she hasn't canned you. Just be thankful she hasn't, because from all you've said about your job and your work, she has the patience of a saint not to have sent you packing. And certainly no one else is going to put up with the IBS shenanigans and the poor performance for very long. You wouldn't last 3 months anywhere I've ever worked, never mind 3 years, and I'm not saying that to jump down your throat. I'm saying it because it's the truth. Stop whining about everything your boss does. Just do your job, and if you are that miserable there because she doesn't want to mollycoddle you, go find another one.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
You wouldn't last 3 months anywhere I've ever worked, never mind 3 years, and I'm not saying that to jump down your throat. I'm saying it because it's the truth.
You are not qualified to make that assessment since you only judge me from what you've read here and the perception you have of me from the forum. Besides your statement has nothing to do with my OP, therefore is irrelevant to this thread.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:03 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,180,965 times
Some bosses are really good at recognizing accomplishments.

Others are not.

Maybe she was going to at a meeting or something.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:06 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,384,113 times
It sounds like the game you played was meant to increase morale - and it worked! You're proud of how you did!

Your manager didn't specifically single you out, and pat you on the back? That's okay. You'll live. And it doesn't mean there was no positive reinforcement. Just doing well in a competition and having everyone know about it, is a reward in itself. The entire company knows you were in the top ten percent - focus on that, and be happy!

Expecting a certain reaction from anyone - especially someone who manages you? That's just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:06 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,701,516 times
Well, all I have to say is: WTG, VAW!!!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,277,474 times
Quote:
You are not qualified to make that assessment since you only judge me from what you've read here and the perception you have of me from the forum. Besides your statement has nothing to do with my OP, therefore is irrelevant to this thread.
Did you READ what I wrote? Look, I boldfaced it for you.

Quote:
Yes, it is too much to ask. You're lucky she hasn't canned you. Just be thankful she hasn't, because from all you've said about your job and your work, she has the patience of a saint not to have sent you packing. And certainly no one else is going to put up with the IBS shenanigans and the poor performance for very long. You wouldn't last 3 months anywhere I've ever worked, never mind 3 years, and I'm not saying that to jump down your throat. I'm saying it because it's the truth. Stop whining about everything your boss does. Just do your job, and if you are that miserable there because she doesn't want to mollycoddle you, go find another one.
You have done nothing but whine and complain about your boss, and you tell us all how she wants to get rid of you. You know what? She probably still does.

So again, yes, it is too much to ask for her to praise you. She's probably waiting for the next excuse you give her and then you'll be out on your behind. Good luck with that.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
You have done nothing but whine and complain about your boss, and you tell us all how she wants to get rid of you. You know what? She probably still does.

So again, yes, it is too much to ask for her to praise you. She's probably waiting for the next excuse you give her and then you'll be out on your behind. Good luck with that.
Is it possible to just focus on the topic being discussed in this thread, i.e. the competition, my top ranking in the team and leave the past where it belongs, the past? I am asking you politely to stay on topic and take the supervisor's inaction in the context of what happened in the contest. I don't think it's too much to ask, do you?

Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
It sounds like the game you played was meant to increase morale - and it worked! You're proud of how you did!

Your manager didn't specifically single you out, and pat you on the back? That's okay. You'll live. And it doesn't mean there was no positive reinforcement. Just doing well in a competition and having everyone know about it, is a reward in itself. The entire company knows you were in the top ten percent - focus on that, and be happy!
Yes, it was meant to be a morale booster and also a training tool. Plus it had a dose of healthy competition. You're right that it probably boosted my reputation amongst my team. The fun thing is that it's just beginning and I'm looking forward to the next round.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:34 PM

127 posts, read 183,800 times
Quote:
You're right. Just like when they promoted an art major to manager before, thereby passing over all of the obviously more-qualified business-degree holders, I think this is a conspiracy. You should march into your boss's office and demand face time. Ask her why she hates you, and demand to know why you did not receive your due recognition for placing sixth in a contest. If you have time, ask about the salary freezes and the conspiracies obviously afoot surrounding the art major's promotion and the threats to replace you.

Report back to us afterward. We all want to better understand what's going on at your crazy office!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment