Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:40 AM

50 posts, read 95,881 times

Advertisements

August is right around the corner and I have yet to apply to grad school. I have narrowed it down to three choices. National Louis University, Argosy and University of Phoenix. The latter two because they offer my chosen career field in a complete online format. Two nights ago I watched a PBS Frontline documentary that focused on For Profit Colleges so, I am mainly interested in the experiences of graduates of University of Phoenix and Argosy. The documentary wasn't very flattering when it came to the discussion of student loans and financing one's educational endeavors when seeking admission into any For Profit College. The numbers were staggering. Whatever insight you can offer would be great. Human Resource Management is my field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 11:47 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times
Have your employer pay for grad school. Doesn't everyone do this?

Old 03-03-2011, 11:52 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,640,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzkisha2011 View Post
August is right around the corner and I have yet to apply to grad school. I have narrowed it down to three choices. National Louis University, Argosy and University of Phoenix. The latter two because they offer my chosen career field in a complete online format. Two nights ago I watched a PBS Frontline documentary that focused on For Profit Colleges so, I am mainly interested in the experiences of graduates of University of Phoenix and Argosy. The documentary wasn't very flattering when it came to the discussion of student loans and financing one's educational endeavors when seeking admission into any For Profit College. The numbers were staggering. Whatever insight you can offer would be great. Human Resource Management is my field.
Well, I think there is a huge issue with schools for profit. There is, in my opinion, a conflict of interest.

I have known a couple people who go to the University of Phoenix. They are both earning or earned masters degrees. Honestly the level of work that they have had to do is more reminiscent of community college. They both have the same issues with poor writing, poor synthesis of material, etc.

I have also read online where professors have not been able to truly fail or give deserving grades due to the school's push to ensure students keep returning, etc.

I would stay away from these high priced schools.

You could take courses cheaper at Harvard's Extension School (and receive a far better and worthy education) than any place like Strayer or University of Phoenix

Old 03-03-2011, 12:01 PM

50 posts, read 95,881 times
My employer offers tuition reimbursement up to 2000 per FY. That is for a non nursing program. I work for a top university that is also a top medical facility. I could attend school here and get 50% tuition remission, but I'd still be responsible for an additional $20k at the end of one year.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:18 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,975,390 times
Dude, the guy in these videos is a nutcase.

As far as the colleges mentioned in the OP, I'd have to say err on the side of caution and choose some more reputable programs. A lot of credible universities offer distance learning programs now. I hear way too many bad things about UPhoenix, Argosy, and other for-profit institutions. I think they tend to attract non-stellar students who are often times seeking a second or third or fourth chance at life. We're talking 20 year old MILFs, ex-cons, C and D students, ex-gang members, crack heads, etc. The coursework, from what I hear, is not very rigorous either and they basically pass everybody, which results in the reduction in value of your education.

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 03-03-2011 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 12:18 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,967,001 times
Which video? There are two different guys featured. lol

And how do you know if he is a nutcase if he is providing research articles to you in the video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Dude, the guy in these videos is a nutcase.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,967,001 times
Professors had no problem failing me and harassing me. So there goes that myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Well, I think there is a huge issue with schools for profit. There is, in my opinion, a conflict of interest.

I have known a couple people who go to the University of Phoenix. They are both earning or earned masters degrees. Honestly the level of work that they have had to do is more reminiscent of community college. They both have the same issues with poor writing, poor synthesis of material, etc.

I have also read online where professors have not been able to truly fail or give deserving grades due to the school's push to ensure students keep returning, etc.

I would stay away from these high priced schools.

You could take courses cheaper at Harvard's Extension School (and receive a far better and worthy education) than any place like Strayer or University of Phoenix

Old 03-03-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Which video? There are two different guys featured. lol

And how do you know if he is a nutcase if he is providing research articles to you in the video?
I'm referring to the two that I quoted from your post. Trust me, I have a keen sense about these things. His aura resonates creepiness and radical conspiracy theorist. I guarantee this guy has a tin foil hat for each of the seasons.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Professors had no problem failing me and harassing me. So there goes that myth.
Ahhh, so that sums it up. You went to one of these for profit schools and got burned when nobody would hire you for a good wage. Amirite?

Now you're an outspoken critic of ALL educational institutions because of your bad experience. Funny how when you go to a top ranked school, the probability of you finding gainful employment somehow magically increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment