Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 10:34 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,980,086 times

Advertisements

Have you ever had something that's said to you stick with you and influence the way you think about things for the remainder of your life? When I was 15 and working as a dishwasher, the owner of the banquet hall I worked at told me something that sticks with me to this day. He said, "Good communication is imperative for business to function smoothly." Pretty basic, but I still remember it and believe in it up to this day.

That said, my employer's management has an absolutely horrendous track record with communication. First off, we all work remotely from one another. With that being the case, communication should be priority number one. Yet, it's not. Sometimes we (the underlings) don't hear about system changes for weeks. When we do find out, it's usually implicitly through our client asking a question about the change. Then we're left looking like bad employees because we have no idea what they're talking about.

We're a small company (<50 employees). They can shoot of an email via distribution list in as little as five minutes. I don't see how they have an excuse for such poor communication.

It's not only bad in that we are less informed about what's going on in our company. It's bad because you feel like you aren't part of the company. You feel ignored. You feel like there is little opportunity to advance. You feel stagnant. You feel unmotivated. You feel unwanted.

Am I overreacting, or is this just a bad way to run a company, or any organization for that matter? Do you work for a company that operates like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 02:14 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,721,595 times
Yes, communication issues can be Hugh in all sizes of companies. as an employee you can put together your own plan for obtaining info and sharing the best you can. Example: you can make a point of networking in your company and industry; you can have your own plan A for sending reports and emails. You have to be proactive and not passive.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 6 days ago)

16,099 posts, read 21,231,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post

Do you work for a company that operates like this?
Yep, Fortune 50 company and still find out about new programs from our customers when they have questions. Like you said, we end up looking stupid because we don't have any idea what they are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment