Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:15 AM

13 posts, read 13,142 times

Advertisements

The Massachusetts company that I've been working for for the past 25 years will be closing at the end of February.

Though I have not yet joined the ever growing unemployment pool, I'm forming (at least in my mind) a plan of action.

** Run, don't walk to the unemployment office. I'm hearing that our local unemployment center offers a lot of workshops.

** Sign up for online Microsoft Office training through careerbuilders.com. (These skills weren't needed in my 25 year job)

** Get certified for Microsoft Office through a local adult learning center.

Am I missing anything??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,890,287 times
Apply for jobs for which you have the qualifications
Don't rule out relocating
You need cash flow I assume, so anything is better than nothing - you can train evenings and weekends
Community colleges
Trade School
Military

Old 02-15-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Apply for jobs for which you have the qualifications
Don't rule out relocating
You need cash flow I assume, so anything is better than nothing - you can train evenings and weekends
Community colleges
Trade School
Military

I need help with the resume first and foremost! I've never needed one. I think exhausting the jobs in my local area first would be best.

In dire straits, I do have family close by to move in with if cash flow is a problem. Then I could begin to "branch out" to other areas.

That's why I'm thinking online courses would be a good solution. They're less expensive and I can do them nights and weekend.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,387,826 times
Get out now and start applying for jobs. You have 6 weeks until you're out of work, so maybe you can find something before the hammer falls.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:34 AM

9,854 posts, read 13,746,726 times
Network your butt off. If you're going to lose your job I'm sure you're not the only one who is going to lose their job. Has anyone else in your company been let go yet? Have they found a job? Where are they working now? Who have they met since they've lost their job?

during those classes don't hesitate to meet people and to get names, e-mails, phone number. Let them know about jobs you find on boards and say "Hey this wouldn't be good for me but for you..." you'd be surprised.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Get out now and start applying for jobs. You have 6 weeks until you're out of work, so maybe you can find something before the hammer falls.
Actually only two weeks. I've been working days, nights, and weekends to help get the doors closed properly.

Also, the resume is a problem. I don't have one, never have had one. I got this job through my vocational school back when I was 18.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Network your butt off. If you're going to lose your job I'm sure you're not the only one who is going to lose their job. Has anyone else in your company been let go yet? Have they found a job? Where are they working now? Who have they met since they've lost their job?

during those classes don't hesitate to meet people and to get names, e-mails, phone number. Let them know about jobs you find on boards and say "Hey this wouldn't be good for me but for you..." you'd be surprised.

The staff that has been let go so far are technicians rather than office staff who I don't have contact with.

Networking is definitely on my agenda. My unemployment office offers weekly networking meetings. Between those, the other workshops, working on my resume, and posting it on every job website, I'll be busier than I am at work currently!!

Old 02-15-2011, 12:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,089,936 times
Another thing I would do is update my hair, makeup, and get at least 2 or 3 interview outfits.

And I would already be putting in applications.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Another thing I would do is update my hair, makeup, and get at least 2 or 3 interview outfits.

And I would already be putting in applications.
I've got a list of my local Goodwill/Salvation Army stores with directions and business hours ready to go.

I've started a list of things I "think" should be on my resume and I've bookmarked a lot of resume example websites.

"Hitting the pavement" during normal business hours since I'm still working but I've already started that list too.

Thanks so much for the imput.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:50 PM

42,005 posts, read 75,385,949 times
I'm sorry your workplace is closing. That stinks.

In addition to all the great advice you've been given, I'll add this: Relax and be good to yourself.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment