Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:59 PM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,235,459 times

Advertisements

^^^ That's nice, but I will still never to to a tanning salon. I don't even do that much serious sun bathing at my age. And there are other ways of getting my Vitamin D.

In this recession, how many people are going on cruises? And why worry about getting a base layer tan if someone doesn't care about being heavily tanned in general?

Anyway, this is YOUR dream, not mine. But I am concerned how you will get enough business of your own if there are already other well established and successful tanning salons in your area? What are you going to offer these potential clients that will cause them to switch their allegiance to your salon? If you have no plan in place other than having a good location (BTW how much better is your location than the other salons?), then your game plan is a passive one as you seem to be counting on being a opportunistic parasite to the other salons in the area.

As to the personal problems of the couple that used to own this tanning salon, perhaps it was business stress that caused them to fight so much. And if this salon is such a bargain, then why isn't one of the other established local tanning salon owners interested in buying it?

Otherwise sure that you like the landlords and that your new salon comes with a long term reasonably priced lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 02:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,219,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
So you plan to be the only person running the place? Working days, evenings, and weekends?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
DH and I will be switching off. Mostly, it will be me, with him being there on occasion.
Since you don't plan to hire employees, have you seriously considered how this business will impact your quality of life? Your marriage? Your children? That salon will need to be open at night because many people tan when they aren't working. Maybe your children are already raised and you don't need to worry about the fact that you'll rarely see them. But did it occur to you that you wouldn't have much time with your spouse if you and he are switching on and off.

I see that all the time with immigrant families owning convenience stores. The husband and wife NEVER see each other. With a tanning salon, you'll at least get to see each other in the late evening and sleep in bed together, but is that enough time for your marriage? Is the money worth that trade-off? It's only 35k-55k. Do you really want to rarely see your husband for such little money? My goodness, you could go to school for one term for phlebotomy and make 35k with only a 2k investment at your community college. I doubt you want to draw blood. That's just an example of cheaper ways to make 35k allowing you will be able to spend more time with your husband.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:34 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,744,173 times
OP, if you do your homework carefully and your DH is 100% behind you on this, and you can sustain the loss if this fails, then go for it.

Sometimes you just have to take a chance and take the plunge. Life is like that. All the best for you.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:05 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,187,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Since you don't plan to hire employees, have you seriously considered how this business will impact your quality of life? Your marriage? Your children? That salon will need to be open at night because many people tan when they aren't working. Maybe your children are already raised and you don't need to worry about the fact that you'll rarely see them. But did it occur to you that you wouldn't have much time with your spouse if you and he are switching on and off.

I see that all the time with immigrant families owning convenience stores. The husband and wife NEVER see each other. With a tanning salon, you'll at least get to see each other in the late evening and sleep in bed together, but is that enough time for your marriage? Is the money worth that trade-off? It's only 35k-55k. Do you really want to rarely see your husband for such little money? My goodness, you could go to school for one term for phlebotomy and make 35k with only a 2k investment at your community college. I doubt you want to draw blood. That's just an example of cheaper ways to make 35k allowing you will be able to spend more time with your husband.
LOL as Bugs Bunny would say...."He don't know me verwy well, do he????"

I am blissfully childfree, so I don't have THAT PROBLEM to deal with in regard to my plans. LOL

As for my husband, during the past 10 years of our marriage, we have been together 24/7 for probably 8 of those 10 years (off and on), during which time HE was self employed and I was supporting his dream. Now it is my turn and he is very much on board with it. And yes, seeing each other in the evenings and sleeping in the same bed is quite sufficient. LOL (during the "off season" we are going to close the salon one night per week and take a week off during July).

As for the phlebotomy thing.....allow me to evoke Bugs Bunny again on that one as well.... Working within the confines of the conventional medical community would NOT be an option for me. Not no how, not no way. Also, the 35k is the lowest figure, not the highest. I would think with a little motivation and hard work, that could be nearly doubled, if not the first year, certainly the second.

I appreciate your input very much.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-16-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
OP, if you do your homework carefully and your DH is 100% behind you on this, and you can sustain the loss if this fails, then go for it.

Sometimes you just have to take a chance and take the plunge. Life is like that. All the best for you.
Thank you! I feel the same way.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-16-2011, 04:33 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,132,071 times
Quote:
So here is my dilemma. I'm scared to death. Do I keep working at poodoo jobs for a pittance and never get *anywhere* in my life or do I risk *everything* (well, not everything, really), and spend my inheritance on a business? What if I am not a good business person? I *think* I am a good business person, but what if I'm not. What if NOBODY COMES to my tanning salon and I go broke (it happens). What if I am a dismal failure?

OMG

Help. Somebody help.
What I find so exciting is that you are so excited. Would I open a tanning salon? Never in a million years . However, I have noticed that the best, and usually the most successful entrepreneurs , are those folks who are passionate about what they do.

Do YOU tan? Then you are probably your own best "test market". What would YOU want in a tanning salon? How can you make your salon the Best in Class in your market?

You seem to have several important ducks in a row: A supporitve spouse. Some Found Money (i.e. you are not raiding your retirement savings). A "lucky break" with the current business on the market.

The one thing I'm not seeing is relevant experience. Have you ever worked a "service" job? One where you work with the general public? Retail? Restaurant? It's very different than sitting behind a desk all day. If you have not done this, I'd suggest some "real life" experience. Is the salon that is for sale currently open and operating? You might see if you can work there for a bit.

Good luck and best wishes.

p.s. I also wanted to say, I think it's kind of unrealistic to say that you will not hire employees. Hopefully you will be successful enough that you need to do so! Busy salons need one "front desK" person at all times and at least one other to maintain the beds and assure cleanliness and customer safety/happiness.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:05 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,391,177 times
I love seeing a new business start! But I do have a couple of thoughts...

I live in California, and the tanning salons here seem to be all about spray tans now - but from your previous posts it sounds like you're talking tanning beds? Is that considered an out-dated technology at this point? I don't know the answer - and this is just my perception - but I haven't heard of anyone doing the tanning bed thing in years.

I think it's also worth noting that with spray tans, the business owner doesn't necessarily need a storefront - everything can be mobile - so there may be competition in your area, that goes directly to the customer.

And finally, do you need any certification or schooling?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
The one thing I'm not seeing is relevant experience. Have you ever worked a "service" job? One where you work with the general public? Retail? Restaurant? It's very different than sitting behind a desk all day. If you have not done this, I'd suggest some "real life" experience. Is the salon that is for sale currently open and operating? You might see if you can work there for a bit.

Good luck and best wishes.

p.s. I also wanted to say, I think it's kind of unrealistic to say that you will not hire employees. Hopefully you will be successful enough that you need to do so! Busy salons need one "front desK" person at all times and at least one other to maintain the beds and assure cleanliness and customer safety/happiness.
Thank you for your wishes of good luck and success.

I have been a licensed cosmetologist for 30 years, and a part of that time I worked as a hairdresser. So I am very familiar with the ladies beauty industry. Having worked and lived in Branson, I have also had lots of face to face with tourists and I have a good background in sales.

As far as me tanning. I have tanned in the past. Being a little overweight, and not being an "outdoor" person I have not really had the need to tan recently myself. I will say that I LOVE being tan however, so I can certainly support the mindset of someone who does tan regularly.

I hope that we will get busy enough to NEED an employee also. I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-16-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I love seeing a new business start! But I do have a couple of thoughts...

I live in California, and the tanning salons here seem to be all about spray tans now - but from your previous posts it sounds like you're talking tanning beds? Is that considered an out-dated technology at this point? I don't know the answer - and this is just my perception - but I haven't heard of anyone doing the tanning bed thing in years.

I think it's also worth noting that with spray tans, the business owner doesn't necessarily need a storefront - everything can be mobile - so there may be competition in your area, that goes directly to the customer.

And finally, do you need any certification or schooling?
Spray tans only last from 8 - 10 days. In addition, they do NOT protect you from UV. So, you can have a beautiful tan and still be burned to a crisp underneath. Many people do not understand this so I am not a big fan of spray tans. Not only that, of course, you get no Vitamin D benefit from it at all.

Spray tans have their place, and I may go ahead and put in a Mystic Tan booth at some point for that business, but in this area, most people still prefer bed tanning.

To address the other poster who asked about competition. There is one other tanning salon, which is approximately a mile from this one. (servicing the same geographical customer base). As a matter of fact, he did offer the seller just about he same price that I did, but it was just to make sure that the salon was "out of business". This tells me that he is worried that it might be a CONTENDER for his business! From what I hear the guy is not very credible or reputable (having refused to pay employees earned commissions in the past). Of course, Springfield is a big town and has DOZENS of tanning salons, but this is the only one that I would be in direct competition with.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-16-2011, 05:16 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,391,177 times
Quote:
I have been a licensed cosmetologist for 30 years, and a part of that time I worked as a hairdresser. So I am very familiar with the ladies beauty industry. Having worked and lived in Branson, I have also had lots of face to face with tourists and I have a good background in sales.
That puts a totally different spin on things! You clearly have all the pieces in place, and the only thing left is to decide if it's what you want?

So I'll say congratulations now, since it looks like you're leaning that way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment