Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 01:27 PM

24,665 posts, read 70,014,457 times

Advertisements

Too funny that I saw the thread header, "Shocked" and momentarily thought it was a new thread by a frequent poster who remains continually shocked where so many very minor employment issues are concerned. In this case I see no cause for shock at all. I know countless employees in the small community I live in who've worked for the same private company for 30-40 years - a company for whom I worked for 10 years. Job security, good benefits, a healthy pension fund. They show up for work on time, work diligently, know the ropes and build their houses and put their children through college, have a firm work ethic.

The local government is actually the largest employer here and what a mess that is but that's a whole 'nother story where longevity doesn't necessarily equate to productivity ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 01:53 PM

935 posts, read 2,418,375 times
I think a lot of younger individuals are going to be shocked about older individuals staying in a job for 30 + years since so many individuals are being laid off. However, I know many people who stayed with their jobs well over 30 years. Some people are content with staying in the same job while others have to stay in the same job.

My dad works at a job he hates but he's really good at it. They offered him a promotion at least 10 times in his career, but he's turned it down each time. Why? Because a promotion meant that he would have to work a chaotic schedule that would include a lot of overtime, weekend hours, constant time changes, etc. At his current position, he goes to work at 7, leaves at 4, has weekends off, and he's able to keep a steady schedule so he can drive everyone around. Had he accepted the promotion, he might have made a few thousand more but it would also mean my mom would probably get fired b/c he couldn't take her to work on the weekends.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:57 PM

623 posts, read 1,608,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
..to find out that the co-worker I have been working with all this time joined the institution when I was 3 years old in 1981! I'm definitely shocked. 1st, he doesn't look that old at all (I guess him being an Asian took care of that), 2nd, wow, we have the same grade as of today. What do you guys think of people staying at same place for 30 years? This is definitely a bit much for me.
We are all brought up to believe that you are supposed to get a job and climb the corporate ladder to be successful.

I for one don't believe that climbing the corporate ladder is for everyone. Just because you are very successful in your current role does not mean you should be promoted. However many people take the promotion only to be miserable down the road.

Utilizing your strengths and being happy and productive in your role is most important.

Its sad that a lot of companies promote simply because you are a star in your current role. Because of this you have many many bad managers and leaders. We are taught to climb only to find out that when we get to far up we can't get back down.(without taking huge pay cuts etc..) so we end up like the little kid stuck in the tree crying about our life.

Think about the promotion you are offered. Does it play to your strengths. Do you have the talent, skills, ability to be a star?

Old 02-15-2011, 02:06 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,790,132 times
Is this VAW #2?

Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Is this VAW #2?
?? What's that?

Old 02-15-2011, 02:23 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,560,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Is this VAW #2?
Do you have anything to add to the discussion?

Old 02-15-2011, 02:56 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,560,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
We are all brought up to believe that you are supposed to get a job and climb the corporate ladder to be successful.

I for one don't believe that climbing the corporate ladder is for everyone. Just because you are very successful in your current role does not mean you should be promoted. However many people take the promotion only to be miserable down the road.
I'm really having a hard time understanding that. How do you know that the work you're doing is being recognized and appreciated by an employer if it wasn't for promotions? Please explain to me how can one be successful but yet not moving forward in their career and have not for the past 30 years? It really doesn't click. Also, promotions do not necessarily mean taking a managerial role. It can be a grade upgrade with similar job description and more pay, how can that be miserable to anyone?

Quote:
Utilizing your strengths and being happy and productive in your role is most important.
I agree with this. It's just that this is too little for me to live by.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
I'm really having a hard time understanding that. How do you know that the work you're doing is being recognized and appreciated by an employer if it wasn't for promotions? Please explain to me how can one be successful but yet not moving forward in their career and have not for the past 30 years? It really doesn't click. Also, promotions do not necessarily mean taking a managerial role. It can be a grade upgrade with similar job description and more pay, how can that be miserable to anyone?

I agree with this. It's just that this is too little for me to live by.
The questions you ask are difficult to answer for most companies. They live by the same rule. If your excellent at your job you end up being promoted out of it. They don't think about the role you are going too. They simply see you are successful in your current role so that must mean you will do well in the role they promote you too. That can and does have consequences both for the employee and the employer.

Success means something different to everyone. To you it may mean working 80 hours a week and making 100k yr. To me it may mean working 40 hrs a week and making 50k yr but I'm home with my family.

You can't look at someones career and say they are not successful because they didnt move up.

I have seen many many people take a similar job as a promotion only to be surprised they don't like the added responsibility.

My point is before you say yes to a promotion you need to understand what you love to do and see if this job matches your strengths. Many people say yes and realize they shouldn't have. but by then it's too late.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,301,762 times
I see what littleelvis is saying. Just because someone is good at what they do, it doesn't mean that they have the skills (or personality) to be promoted to a management level.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:56 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,334,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I see what littleelvis is saying. Just because someone is good at what they do, it doesn't mean that they have the skills (or personality) to be promoted to a management level.
You would hope a company would look at that as part of their decision. I know in the companies I have worked for people aren't just getting promoted because they are doing well. It really is no different than any other open position. That person has to apply for the job and then the hiring team evaluates if they think that person would do well. Of course they will also talk to that person's boss and colleagues as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment