Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,264,536 times

Advertisements

Denny,
You are exhausted and fed up, but you say a deadline on your current project is important. So, keep working until you meet that deadline. Then ask for a week of vacation, don't let them prevent you from taking it, tell them you need the rest. Whilst on vacation, look at the newspaper, look online to just get your feet wet, put together a simple resume. Then pick five jobs you think they would hire you and that you would like to have, go down there personally when possible and apply. Also, make use of any state employment offices that can send you to jobs they have in their job banks that fit your abilities. First place that offers you the job, take it.

But if your vacation runs out and you have to go back, at least you'll have the basics of job hunting down pat, and whenever any job comes up that appeals to you, apply one job at a time whilst you continue working. The vacation will provide you that wonderful rest you so desperately need, will make it easier to continue working where you are, and set you up to apply periodically to jobs that interest you without taking up too much of your time. And I'm with another poster, take a lunch break, two hours, once a week and apply for one job a week during that lunch, if there's one out there. If they don't like you taking a long lunch, tell them you're trying to carve out some personal time in your 100-hour workweek (during which you look for other work).

If job hunting doesn't go well after a couple months, you'll have to ask to get at least one day per week off, deadline or no deadline, AND you will only work 10 hours per day, and if they don't like it, they HAVE to fire you, and then you can get unemployment.
GG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 08:06 AM

623 posts, read 1,608,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Denny,
You are exhausted and fed up, but you say a deadline on your current project is important. So, keep working until you meet that deadline.
It seems once the deadline is met that his job is finished so I don't see how that is an option.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:14 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,704,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
I see this all the time with people. Ask for advice and then argue about the advice you get. The truth is you don't want to do anything or you are too scared to make a decision. You have excuse after excuse about why you can't look for another job. Why you can't take a sick day, why you can't take a vacation day etc...

If it sucks that bad and its ending shortly anyway and you have a lot of money saved up. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? What will be the difference if you wait till it ends or you just leave and start looking now. You will be in the exact same spot you are right now in a few months.
First of all, his last statement wasn't about giving advice. It was about passing judgment. If someone came to me asking for advice on whether to get out of a bad marriage where none of the options were good, I wouldn't tell them it's their fault for getting married in the first place, even if it were true. How does that help them?

Second, if you had read more carefully, you'd see I already addressed the issue of why I don't just take a few sick days or vacation and look for a job and why I haven't just quit. Each sick or vacation day I take puts me further behind on my project and therefore having to do more work in less time. If I had evenings or weekend free, then of course I would use that time to look for another job. As for just quitting, sure I could do that. But I've already addressed this as well. Employers look down on people who are unemployed. Many refuse to even consider you. In addition, I lose my health insurance. Also, I never said I was going to wait til the job ends. I said I was debating whether to wait until the project ends. Big difference. You're assuming they'll let me go when the project ends. I never said that. I happen to know they have more work for me after this project, just nothing as urgent and therefore won't require such long hours. So if I finish, then I'd have more free time and be in a better position to look for a new job while still retaining health insurance and the advantage of being employed.

I have no problem making tough decisions. I simply came asking others what they would do if they were in my spot. If you can't offer any advice, then why bother responding?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
First of all, his last statement wasn't about giving advice. It was about passing judgment. If someone came to me asking for advice on whether to get out of a bad marriage where none of the options were good, I wouldn't tell them it's their fault for getting married in the first place, even if it were true. How does that help them?

Second, if you had read more carefully, you'd see I already addressed the issue of why I don't just take a few sick days or vacation and look for a job and why I haven't just quit. Each sick or vacation day I take puts me further behind on my project and therefore having to do more work in less time. If I had evenings or weekend free, then of course I would use that time to look for another job. As for just quitting, sure I could do that. But I've already addressed this as well. Employers look down on people who are unemployed. Also, I never said I was going to wait til the job ends. I said I was debating whether to wait until the project ends. Big difference. You're assuming they'll let me go when the project ends. I happen to know they have more work for me after this project, just nothing as urgent and therefore won't require such long hours.

I have no problem making tough decisions. I simply came asking others what they would do if they were in my spot. If you can't offer any advice, then why bother responding?
My point is your not looking for advice. You are looking for agreement. Most of the advice you have receieved you simply dismiss as " i can't do this because"

Don't come on a board and ask advice if you truly don't want it.

Here is my advice. Stay at your job and be miserable until they fire you and then look for another one. It seems that is what your going to do anyway.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I said I was debating whether to wait until the project ends. Big difference. You're assuming they'll let me go when the project ends. I never said that. I happen to know they have more work for me after this project, just nothing as urgent and therefore won't require such long hours.
Here's it what you said in your first post:

It pays well, has full benefits, and even lets me work from home. But the job will be coming to an end sometime this year. I don't know exactly when, but I'm guessing sometime in the Spring, perhaps even sooner. At best, it'll last til Summer.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:30 AM

4,493 posts, read 8,214,839 times
In my opinion, you should leave on your terms and not there's. I was in a similar situation in 2007. I had been with the company for 7 years and I was ready to move on. I told the company that and asked them to find me another contract to work on. I liked the company I worked for, but I wanted a change of scenery after working at the same contract for 7 years. They made no progress so I turned in my 2 week notice without another job lined up. A huge weight was lifted off me knowing I would be out of that situation soon.

I would definitely make time to go job hunting in your case though. This economy is just too crazy and finding a good fitting position may take too much time.

Work will continue to go on with or without you though so don't stay just for the good of the company. Companies don't seem to have any loyalty to you, so why should you have loyalty to your company? Times have changed and people don't stay with the same company for years and years till retirement. There are limited pension programs so why stick around hoping to get a gold watch at your retirement party. Make the choices that are good for YOU.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:02 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,339,124 times
Start taking vacation and stop working so much. This will give you time to look for a job. The worst that can happen is they fire you. At least then you can collect unemployment while looking for another job.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:04 AM

4,563 posts, read 10,992,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The worst that can happen is they fire you. At least then you can collect unemployment while looking for another job.
You can't collect unemployment if you get fired.....

Old 02-11-2011, 10:19 AM

580 posts, read 2,298,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post

Sure you can. As long as it isn't proven that it was a deliberate act of misconduct. Even then, as long as the infraction isn't too severe, (like punching out a boss, or theft) you may be entitled to unemployment. You may be disqualified for a few weeks, but you can usually get it.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:17 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,339,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Sure you can. It all depends why you were fired though. Unless someone is going to lie about it I don't think missing a deadline for taking your vacation or not working 90 hours a week is the kind of firing that will get your unemployment denied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment