Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:38 PM

470 posts, read 1,037,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I haven't really been crying. At most it makes a little grumpy at work. I can't do my own stuff because I'm always with him or re-doing something I gave him to do. I have set goals for him. He doesn't complete them. Sometimes he doesn't acknowledge them. And you're correct, he does not like me. He was complaining to a colleague about me. This colleague happens to be my friend and confidant, so...

One thing I've noticed when I pass his desk (he's on another floor) is that he's looking at web pages that are not work related. I find nothing wrong with that personally, providing a person is getting their job done.
Maybe you guys could do a blanket party on him. You know, throw a blanket over him and then everybody in the office comes in with pillow cases filled with bars of soap and bludgen him a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 12:48 PM

623 posts, read 1,603,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Maybe indeed you are "reading it wrong". I apologize if you find my response based on experience "arrogant".
I find your response arrogant because you make is sound as if your the subject matter expert because of your experience and the rest of the posters don't have a clue.

Wait..... sorry you are probably the only poster on this board with management experience. My fault

Old 02-02-2011, 01:05 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,767,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
I find your response arrogant because you make is sound as if your the subject matter expert because of your experience and the rest of the posters don't have a clue.

Wait..... sorry you are probably the only poster on this board with management experience. My fault
I already apologized for the fact that you found my post offensive/arrogant but if beating a dead horse is your druthers then carry on. If you have something constructive to offer to the OP then of course do so and stay on topic. Belittling my opinion isn't helpful to the OP.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:25 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,452,987 times
I think the problem is a temp should be just that a temp. He/she should be hired to cover for someone on maternity leave or for a few months during a busy season. When companies start looking to temps to get cheap employees that they don't have to pay benefits for they wind up getting a third rate demoralized employee or high turnover.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:35 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,182,905 times
One of the benefits of a temp is that if it isn't working out you go and get another one.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:39 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,452,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
One of the benefits of a temp is that if it isn't working out you go and get another one.
You can do the same thing with an FTE. Companies can do the same thing with a probationary period. There is no need for parasitic middle man agencies except for companies to avoid paying benefits and unemployment insurance.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:59 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,215,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
Maybe you guys could do a blanket party on him. You know, throw a blanket over him and then everybody in the office comes in with pillow cases filled with bars of soap and bludgen him a little.
LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I think the problem is a temp should be just that a temp. He/she should be hired to cover for someone on maternity leave or for a few months during a busy season. When companies start looking to temps to get cheap employees that they don't have to pay benefits for they wind up getting a third rate demoralized employee or high turnover.
This guy is not covering for anybody. We're expanding the responsibilities in the group. Eventually, we will bring on F/T associate, tho, it won't be him that's for sure. I have no idea what a busy season looks like in a pharma co. We're busy all year, tho, we get crazy at the end of the year.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:03 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,215,291 times
Quote:
You can do the same thing with an FTE. Companies can do the same thing with a probationary period. There is no need for parasitic middle man agencies except for companies to avoid paying benefits and unemployment insurance.
It takes about a year to let go of an F/T employee barring something very serious. We don't have probationary periods. We have mid-year and end-year reviews.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,182,905 times
Quote:
It's not the same. There is much more work involved in bringing someone in and setting them up as an employee than paying a temp agency.

And those things you mentioned are two very good ones.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:03 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,102,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This is what I was thinking. We've got a little backlog of clerical work where I work and will likely get a temp for a week or so to get it caught up. I'd have no problem calling the agency if the temp isn't picking it up by noon the first day and getting someone else.

Temps are generally supposed to be able to hit the ground running, other than a few minutes of showing them the specific process/system your company uses, they should already know how to complete all the tasks associated with the job they were brought on to do. This is one reason that many temps are in reality rather overqualified for the work they are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment