Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times

Advertisements

Had a guy intoday interviewing for a job. After he left the ops manager said that person was a great candidate. had all the right experience and education, seemed real nice, easy to talk with and all the other good things.

I went to lunch with coworker and at the resturant was that person. At the end of the 40 minutes he was there, I learned:
1. Had a nasty divorce.
2. Needs to get reprive on monthly credit card debt.
3. His prescription was not approved for refill by doctor.
4. Would like to bang the receptionist at our office. (I don;t blame him )
5. Wants to refinance his car.
6. Think the interviewer was a hard ass.
7. Would rather work for another company that isn't so "quality" oriented.

All this just from his cell phone conversations.
Got back, told manager what we heard, resume in trash.

Why do people give out so much personal information while on the cell phone for others to hear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 03:04 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
I like this post! I agree, people give out way too much info about themselves through these public cell phone calls, and on online social networking sites. And they seem to think that if they don't give out the info in an interview or in the workplace, that no one will learn of it.

They often think that what they do outside of the interview or outside of the workplace should have no bearing at all on whether they get a job or keep a job. But they need to know that the person you are (when you think no one's looking) matters.

I'm glad for your company's sake that you chose that restaurant that day!

Old 02-01-2011, 04:33 PM

126 posts, read 724,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Had a guy intoday interviewing for a job. [snipped]
What an idiot - it's his own fault - a 20-something?

After I get out of my car and enter the building of
the prospective employer, I grab my cell phone and
turn off the ringer. I don't care what sort of calls I
might get, I will *not* allow the phone to disrupt
the interview(s).

Old 02-01-2011, 05:09 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,145,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
And they seem to think that if they don't give out the info in an interview or in the workplace, that no one will learn of it.

They often think that what they do outside of the interview or outside of the workplace should have no bearing at all on whether they get a job or keep a job. But they need to know that the person you are (when you think no one's looking) matters.
So I guess by this a person should always assumed that the company that they interviewed with is going to become there shadow and stalk them until they make the decision on where on not to hire the person.

And by taking what the OP heard I guess the company that they work for does not like people who has problems that most likely won't effect there work.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:16 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,668 times
Default ...sounds like De Facto Stalking to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat26 View Post
So I guess by this a person should always assumed that the company that they interviewed with is going to become there shadow and stalk them until they make the decision on where on not to hire the person.

And by taking what the OP heard I guess the company that they work for does not like people who has problems that most likely won't effect there work.
I agree 100%. Who among us do not have "issues" in our personal lives. I quess you have to have your hardass credentials to work at that company.

Sure, we should all watch what we say in public, and sure, I get very annoyed at the people who are constantly yaking away on their cells, esp. in close proximity to me...

But, people have lives. It is very possible that the output from that phone call only revealed that the man's problems were mostly precipitated by the financial hardships of being unemployed. But from way up there (where it's hard to get oxygen) where some people look down on other people and judge, can't see the humanity in other people's problems.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:18 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
He didn't really want that job. Obviously. So he really isn't an idiot.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:57 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldercay View Post
What an idiot - it's his own fault - a 20-something?

After I get out of my car and enter the building of
the prospective employer, I grab my cell phone and
turn off the ringer. I don't care what sort of calls I
might get, I will *not* allow the phone to disrupt
the interview(s).
Kind of ignorant to assume it was a "20 something" there's plenty of idiot soccer moms, older businessmen, etc on cell phones too much

Also, I agree I turn off my cell phone when going in but what does that have to do with the OP's scenario?

Sounds to me like this guy was eating at the restaurant talking on his phone after the interview and the OP just happenned to be sitting nearby. It doesn't sound like he was stopping the interview to call his buddy and say how he wants to bang the receptionist.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:02 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Had a guy intoday interviewing for a job. After he left the ops manager said that person was a great candidate. had all the right experience and education, seemed real nice, easy to talk with and all the other good things.

I went to lunch with coworker and at the resturant was that person. At the end of the 40 minutes he was there, I learned:
1. Had a nasty divorce.
2. Needs to get reprive on monthly credit card debt.
3. His prescription was not approved for refill by doctor.
4. Would like to bang the receptionist at our office. (I don;t blame him )
5. Wants to refinance his car.
6. Think the interviewer was a hard ass.
7. Would rather work for another company that isn't so "quality" oriented.

Got back, told manager what we heard, resume in trash.

Why do people give out so much personal information while on the cell phone for others to hear?
I see some people kinda jumping on you for posting this. I'm not gonna jump on you but if we all should be worries about what employers think all the time even when not at work what would your company think of you writing you want to bang the receptionist?

This guy was in a space he thought was private just as you are sitting at home with the expectation of privacy. Were all not watching what we say when we are not at work as this guy nor you are.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:04 PM

41 posts, read 153,253 times
He probably didn't do anything different than everyone else would, which is talking about his life to his confidant. Seems like his only mistake was talking too loud, unless the OP intentionally sat close to him on purpose.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaka chatra View Post
He probably didn't do anything different than everyone else would, which is talking about his life to his confidant. Seems like his only mistake was talking too loud, unless the OP intentionally sat close to him on purpose.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment