Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 10:22 PM

2,646 posts, read 4,080,949 times

Advertisements

Is anyone here an Arbitrator/Mediator/Conciliator, or familiar with Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)? I know that Mediators can often be lawyers, but it isn't always the case. Certification/training is approx $1275-$1500 (in my area) for about five days worth of training. (In some places, it's more.) Would anyone recommend it, or would it be or a waste of time (and money)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 04:21 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,289,469 times
Find out how often mediators are used to resolve issues and cases? Who are usually mediators - certified people, lawyers, etc? Most times these cases are given to mediators who are recommended so you need a good network of people you know you who can recommend you. You need to do a little more internet, school counselor, HR Department survey work and possibly some mentoring homework in your area.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,533,679 times
Find out how you will get work. Do attorneys get to pick you from a list meaning they will review your resume and pick a mediator based on their experience and background or will you be assigned by judges? And if you are assigned by judges do the parties get to pick someone else if they agree on someone else? (meaning you may get assigned a lot by judges, but in the end you may lose the gig to someone else because the parties agree)

In every single legal case I have worked on the attorneys in the cases hand-picked the mediator and they always went with someone they knew and had experience with. They never went with an unknown. These mediators they favored also had their own meeting rooms which saved on cost.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:25 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,799,271 times
I'm a mediator, but I do it strictly on a volunteer basis. I was certified for free via my law school. As I understand it, it's generally not a high-paying job unless you're a former judge or brought in specifically for arbitration (again, you'd need to know someone and have a reputation). I did mediate for pay for the court system briefly, but it was under $20/hr.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:29 PM

9,238 posts, read 23,001,347 times
I'm a licensed mental health professional, and I sometimes get stuff in the mail about becoming a certified mediator. The ones who have mental health credentials often end up doing divorce mediation, custody arrangements, or other family-law-related issues.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:49 PM

2,646 posts, read 4,080,949 times
Ok, thanks for the replies. This is all helpful, and gives me more insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment