Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:28 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I worked at a power plant through a third party temporarily when they did a shutdown for maintenance. I worked 7 12s for 4 weeks. The wage wasn't bad for entry level stuff. People who got hired on by TXU got nice wages and it was pretty stable. I know someone who's been working at that same power plant for about as long as I've been alive. I got the impression they didn't have to work very hard. But as was said, it's hard to get on.

Oh, and kind of an aside, but the view from the top of the plant was astounding. It went up to the 12th floor, but there were also floors between floors, like 7 1/2 and 6 1/3 and 6 2/3 and the whole numbered floors that didn't have fractional floors between them tended to be 30 to 40 feet apart. It was probably more like the 24th floor in a skyscraper. The smokestacks were about twice as tall, but I never got a chance to go up there. It was pretty cool to someone who'd lived in the sticks and never been that high. (Now I've been at the top of the Sears Tower, but you look down at city there instead of rural areas.)
You might want to read the OP's prior threads which are readily available via this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 02:18 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,057,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You might want to read the OP's prior threads which are readily available via this forum.
I just did. They all seemed like honest and reasonable questions to me, even if they're of few words. It's not like he said he's tired of being white and wants to become a hispanic janitor. Why shouldn't I have answered thusly?

Old 02-09-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I just did. They all seemed like honest and reasonable questions to me, even if they're of few words. It's not like he said he's tired of being white and wants to become a hispanic janitor. Why shouldn't I have answered thusly?
Have you read his previous posts NOT on this thread? That was my point. If you have and feel the same way, then kudos to you for taking the time to respond to his latest and hopefully he'll give you thanks before creating another thread. Cheers!

Old 02-09-2011, 02:41 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,057,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Have you read his previous posts NOT on this thread? That was my point. If you have and feel the same way, then kudos to you for taking the time to respond to his latest and hopefully he'll give you thanks before creating another thread. Cheers!
Yes, I read all 17 posts he's made so far. Most of his threads were at least a week apart, so it's not like he posts thread after thread. He followed up on most of them. They were about sensible topics, a couple of which got me interested so I read the entire threads. Maybe I'm oblivious but I'm just failing to see what the issue is.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:02 PM

Ok!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment