Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:23 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,647,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
What a great attitude. I'd call it being professional - not politically correct. Whether you were aware of it or not, outgoing phone messages and ringtones mattered before the economy tanked.
I would have NEVER lost my job. Period. I was secure where I was on the seniority list. the ONLY reason I lost it was I can't pass the Federal DOT physical because I ended up with a trimaellor fracture with dislocation. Any other place of business-I'd have been given a desk job. But all desk jobs in school district's are civil service. I had 16+ years total in with the place I worked-even though I'd taken off for 11 years to raise my kids-my boss wanted me back every year and he called me-I had 19 years in total driving. So it wasn't due to lay offs, down sizing or anything else that I lost my job. I'd have still been there driving a school bus if some stupid bimbo had cleared her driveway properly, I'd have never broken my ankle. I lost my benefits, my retirement, my livelyhood. I didn't have to worry about impressing anyone. I did a damned good job and have the letters in my file with the district to prove it.

Now I get treated like garbage at interviews. Why? It's not because of the ringtone-that's gone-get it? No one believes that it was over 4 1/2 months til I learned to walk again. Or that I couldn't get work while in a wheelchair. And no, I had no disability during that time-NYS governmental employees don't have it. So I've lost everything I ever worked for. Just to take a job and get treated like crud every day. Some days I wish to God I never would wake up again. It's that bad. All from one injury. And then people wonder why I am unhappy taking $10hr-who the heck can survive at all making that? Be happy I have a job. Yeah-still I am having to decide what bills to pay and which to skip. I have no health insurance though this place for a year-so I have to pay out for COBRA. Forget it-I can't pay for a family to live on this little paltry sum. I am told I am entry level? Bull. It's just a way for them to say they are cheap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 02:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,670,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
What a great attitude. I'd call it being professional - not politically correct. Whether you were aware of it or not, outgoing phone messages and ringtones mattered before the economy tanked.

Exactly, I remember 10 years ago going to a job seminar and being told the same thing regarding home answering machines. No cutesy messages, no kids on the recording, etc. Keep it short and professional.

And it doesn't matter what the employer has on their recording( although I don't believe her) they're not the ones looking for work.

I don't get someone who comes on here and all doom and gloom but can change their greeting on a cell phone.

And if you just give them your home phone and you're currently working, chances are you will keep playing telephone tag. By the time you get home and call them back, they're gone for the day.

Which could lead the perspective employer to just get frustrated and move on if they never get you live.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:13 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,647,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly, I remember 10 years ago going to a job seminar and being told the same thing regarding home answering machines. No cutesy messages, no kids on the recording, etc. Keep it short and professional.

And it doesn't matter what the employer has on their recording( although I don't believe her) they're not the ones looking for work.

I don't get someone who comes on here and all doom and gloom but can change their greeting on a cell phone.

And if you just give them your home phone and you're currently working, chances are you will keep playing telephone tag. By the time you get home and call them back, they're gone for the day.

Which could lead the perspective employer to just get frustrated and move on if they never get you live.
Fine don't believe that I've not called back someone who's left a cell number for ME to call back about a job and their cell is worse than mine was. I know what I called don't I? I was always taught to tell the truth, so don't think all these people who are calling are perfect either in the so called business world.

As to the cell-I can't use it at work. Period. It has to stay off the whole time. So I wouldn't get the call anyway. I have to eat at my desk. I don't get to leave-we have timed bathroom break of two min or less. Believe what you will, but it's the God's honest truth. I work for senior psychopath.

I live less than 1 1/2 miles to work. I get home at 4:05. I can return calls. And for this-I am now done with this board. It happens to be the most unwelcoming place I've ever encountered. Doom and gloom? No how about frigging reality. It sucks. Period. And again -it's all my fault.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:02 PM

750 posts, read 1,446,714 times
I find it funny that people on here think nothing bad will ever happen to them. I am handicapped had to learn how to walk all over more then once. That is no day in the park so camping Mom not lazy. It is super ok for a guy who under pays his workers. Who is worth millions passes on the social cost of his workers to the state medical housing ect. On top of this he is rotten to his workers. But Camping Mom has issues. All I can say is WOW.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,670,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Fine don't believe that I've not called back someone who's left a cell number for ME to call back about a job and their cell is worse than mine was. I know what I called don't I? I was always taught to tell the truth, so don't think all these people who are calling are perfect either in the so called business world.

As to the cell-I can't use it at work. Period. It has to stay off the whole time. So I wouldn't get the call anyway. I have to eat at my desk. I don't get to leave-we have timed bathroom break of two min or less. Believe what you will, but it's the God's honest truth. I work for senior psychopath.

I live less than 1 1/2 miles to work. I get home at 4:05. I can return calls. And for this-I am now done with this board. It happens to be the most unwelcoming place I've ever encountered. Doom and gloom? No how about frigging reality. It sucks. Period. And again -it's all my fault.
It really doesn't matter what they have on their cell phone, they're not looking for a job, you are. And again I think you're embellishing. If you're calling back a company for a job they're going to have professional voice mail.

If you get home before 5pm(and you do) than just leave your home phone number by all means.

You're the one who brought up your refusal to take off a silly song on your cell phone, but at the same type said you were very desperate to get a better paying job.

Again, many people told you that with the competition these days for jobs you need to be professional as possible.

Hey, you're free to do what you want. At the same time if you come on here saying how bad things are but don't want to listen to good advice, well it is hard to have empathy for someone like that.

And you're in NY state, a state which has very good work laws. If it as bad as you say, you go to a pay phone and call the Labor Board. No names, you have something like 30 employees, you tell NO ONE what you did.

Your horrible owner might not like it, but he can't fire everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment