Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:32 AM

60 posts, read 76,504 times

Advertisements

Hi-
Im stuck in upstate NY with a BS in computer science, no kids and no job prospects at all

Can someone older and wiser suggest some warm weather states that need developers/programmers. I am considering Colorado, California, Washington state and Texas first.
Are these good places?
Any other areas?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 06:14 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,860,177 times
Default Really depends what you are capable of doing...

...if you have great skills and want to work on relatively challenging problems Silicon Valley is still top choice. Aside from a few firms in MA or the Carolinas, or specialized financial shops in Chicago, or NY/NJ the density of computer coding in CA is hard to beat.

Texas tries to have a high tech industry, but much of the work is standard business processing that is either their due to energy firms or simply the more attractive work / life climate / cost.

Washington St still has lots of MSFT and related employment, but iti is not as vibrant as CA.

CO is not much warmer than NY. It is a younger state, but not really a high tech Mecca. Folks are too into semi- dangerous sports, last thing some tech company wants is their lead development staff to break a wrist or worse out mt biking or snowboarding...

I gotta think if you had good skills and a willingness to travel a good placement office ought to have had some connection to IBM or other college recruitment oriented firms. Did you do an internship? That sort of experience is huge plus...

Moving out to a new state with zero experience is not really the way to land a good gig. Even if you have good skills you will be scrambling to showcase your abilities while struglling to pay rent. Does not make for interviews that make you seem confident yet eager to impress. Try to get a job lined up first...

Old 12-11-2010, 09:28 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,312,338 times
NJ/NYC (not so warm) and CA. I suggest CA if you want mild weather and good pay down the road ($150-$250k)

Old 12-11-2010, 10:45 AM

59 posts, read 315,842 times
I would try San Antonio, Dallas, and Austin. With a degree like CS, you should be able to find a job relatively easier than others. You can try also the consulting firms like Avanade. I interviewed with them but they were looking for hardcore programmers, I was an MIS major.

The fact that you are single with no kids is also good for the consulting companies as some require you to travel quite a bit. And while you are job seeking, brush up on what you learned because you can bet when they interview you, you are going to be grilled on algorithms, logic, syntax questions, etc. Good luck.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:06 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,254,645 times
Phoenix area.

(Granted anecdotal) I've been here 15 years and been employed the entire time, most colleagues I've worked with who moved jobs have had no problem finding work.

Plus we just got walloped by the housing crash so buying property costs half as much as five years ago.

Good luck whereever you go.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:46 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,657,524 times
I lived in Washington for 32 years, and if you're after a nice warm climate, I'd advise looking elsewhere. The winters aren't nearly as cold as upstate NY, but they are very long. The summers are beautiful, but short. It starts raining in September (October if you're lucky), and pretty much stays drippy and dreary up through late May. You'll get some nice days in the spring, but you can more or less count on not seeing more than a glimpse of the sun for weeks at a time.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 AM

219 posts, read 563,887 times
I read a little while ago that Boise, ID is a new hotbed of tech jobs.

I'd also look at:

San Jose/Silicon Valley
Austin, TX
Houston
Dallas/Ft. Worth
San Antonio
NYC
Chicago
Washington, D.C.
Norfolk, VA
Denver
Albuquerque
Billings
Lincoln/Omaha
Overland Park/Kansas City
Huntsville, AL
Most large college towns

Old 12-18-2010, 05:17 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,657,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svatos View Post
I read a little while ago that Boise, ID is a new hotbed of tech jobs.
That would be news to me. And I live there.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:21 AM

83 posts, read 281,264 times
Seattle is the shiznit for tech related jobs. Tons of interactive development, software engineering, etc. The "Software Giant" up there has a trickle down effect on the entire regional economy.. Not warm though like another poster mentioned..

Old 12-22-2010, 05:57 PM

498 posts, read 1,532,914 times
Bangalore in Karnataka, India!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment