Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:01 PM

214 posts, read 707,797 times

Advertisements

John Smith started the day early,having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG),and put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast in his newelectric skillet (MADE IN INDIA), he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO),to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA),he got in his car (MADE IN JAPAN),filled it with GAS (from SAUDIA ARABIA)to continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day checking his Computer (made in MALAYSIA), John decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL), poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE)and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in AMERICA.

!!!!!BUY AMERICAN MADE!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 10:21 PM

935 posts, read 2,418,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCommander View Post
John Smith started the day early,having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG),and put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast in his newelectric skillet (MADE IN INDIA), he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO),to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA),he got in his car (MADE IN JAPAN),filled it with GAS (from SAUDIA ARABIA)to continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day checking his Computer (made in MALAYSIA), John decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL), poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE)and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in AMERICA.

Would be nice, but it's sort of easier said than done. I tried going to those buy American websites online and discovered two things:

1. Many of them look unprofessional and I'm not sure if I can trust them. I mean, the format on many of their pages is horrible--especially the searches--and I wonder if it's a real site or a scam site that wants to steal my money. Though, if you have any recommendations for professional sites that offer advice on buying American made products I would be more than happy to look at it.

2. The number of things that are made in the U.S. is sort of limited. I do try to buy American on some items, but if you can tell me where I can find an American made GPS system then I would like to know the site . I tried looking for one on those "buy American" websites and they didn't really have anything listed.

Buying American is definitely one way to go about it. I do try to buy from local vendors when possible, though more local businesses are going out of business right now. I also think that Congress should make it more rewarding for companies to bring jobs back to the U.S. and more taxing for them to send jobs overseas.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:24 PM

26,328 posts, read 94,127,737 times
Quote:

John used to make $55/hour gluing bumpers onto Fords in the 1980s but then he lost his job when the bumpers fell off. His union sued Ford, claiming John's three 45 minute breaks and one hour lunch were insufficient for him to overcome the stress of the job. While John was making the big bucks he bought himself a 69 inch TV on credit along with a bass boat, two jet skiis, and a trailer - with a $100K HELOC.
Eventually, John decided it would be a good idea to get his GED so he could be promoted to manager. The long hours took their toll on his family so his wife finally left him for the boyfriend that thought she resembled the women she read about in the supermarket checkout magazines.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:50 PM

943 posts, read 1,327,254 times
John should have gone into the health care industry. Then he would see lots of products manufactured in the U.S. on a daily basis. At my doctor's office, just about all the medical equipment was made in America.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:52 PM

943 posts, read 1,327,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
Would be nice, but it's sort of easier said than done. I tried going to those buy American websites online and discovered two things:

1. Many of them look unprofessional and I'm not sure if I can trust them. I mean, the format on many of their pages is horrible--especially the searches--and I wonder if it's a real site or a scam site that wants to steal my money. Though, if you have any recommendations for professional sites that offer advice on buying American made products I would be more than happy to look at it.

2. The number of things that are made in the U.S. is sort of limited. I do try to buy American on some items, but if you can tell me where I can find an American made GPS system then I would like to know the site . I tried looking for one on those "buy American" websites and they didn't really have anything listed.

Buying American is definitely one way to go about it. I do try to buy from local vendors when possible, though more local businesses are going out of business right now. I also think that Congress should make it more rewarding for companies to bring jobs back to the U.S. and more taxing for them to send jobs overseas.
There may not be GPS systems that are manufactured in the U.S., but there are people who work on the software of GPS systems who work in the U.S. I'm one of them.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
There may not be GPS systems that are manufactured in the U.S., but there are people who work on the software of GPS systems who work in the U.S. I'm one of them.

Having a security clearance almost guarantees your job stays in the US.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:32 AM

107 posts, read 215,125 times
Quote:

This is what I was trying to say in another post. If you want to work again, start searching for American made products to buy. I admit as Americans we let this get too far and it is now almost impossible to buy American. I draw the line with cars (I have a Subaru and two Toyota's sitting out in my driveway) because they are much better quality and the US car industry sold out long ago by making crappy cars. But I was somewhat dismayed when the LL Bean clothes I bought (Christmas gifts) were all made in other countries, how sad. They are still good quality, but very sad that we have lost control of the situation. So you can imagine my delight the other day when I went to Marshall's looking for men's socks and there they were...white socks "handmade in New Hampshire". I couldn't put them in the cart fast enough. And a crafts person in New Hampshire is employed. When I need socks, I will look for those socks to keep that person employed. I've gotten to the point where I always check the "made in X" labels, and am almost always disappointed. Thinking back about American manufacturing now...it does seem that the unions got too greedy. My grandmother made Converse sneakers in this country, and it was hard work where employee health was at stake, so unions are a necessity and have a purpose. But they got too powerful, lost focus, and now we are all paying the price.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmom View Post
This is what I was trying to say in another post. If you want to work again, start searching for American made products to buy. I admit as Americans we let this get too far and it is now almost impossible to buy American. I draw the line with cars (I have a Subaru and two Toyota's sitting out in my driveway) because they are much better quality and the US car industry sold out long ago by making crappy cars. But I was somewhat dismayed when the LL Bean clothes I bought (Christmas gifts) were all made in other countries, how sad. They are still good quality, but very sad that we have lost control of the situation. So you can imagine my delight the other day when I went to Marshall's looking for men's socks and there they were...white socks "handmade in New Hampshire". I couldn't put them in the cart fast enough. And a crafts person in New Hampshire is employed. When I need socks, I will look for those socks to keep that person employed. I've gotten to the point where I always check the "made in X" labels, and am almost always disappointed. Thinking back about American manufacturing now...it does seem that the unions got too greedy. My grandmother made Converse sneakers in this country, and it was hard work where employee health was at stake, so unions are a necessity and have a purpose. But they got too powerful, lost focus, and now we are all paying the price.
Handmade in New Hampshire? They probably cost 10 times would an equivalent pair of socks made by Wei Ho Tang using a machine.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/MsAlisonChains/sweatshop.jpg (broken link)

As soon as Americans willing to work for $3/hour which results American products being competitively priced, I'll buy it.

I am a consumer. Buying the best quality for the lowest price even if it is imported, is more in my best interests than buying domestic for macroeconomic (or patriotic) reasons.

The advantages for me to buy domestic are in the noise compared to the advantages of buying imported.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:32 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,404,408 times
We, (the US), are no longer an industrial manufacturing nation. We are an import/service economy. Right, wrong, like it, don't like it, it is what it is. This all started when US based companies were allowed to outsource their labor overseas. That was pretty much the point of no return. Things will not go back to "the way they used to be." Eventually unemployment may drop some, but the days of 3,4, and 5 % unemployment are over, at least for several years. Everyone knows what supply and demand is. Well there is a much greater supply of labor than demand, not just in the US, but worldwide. Unfortunately, companies do have to outsource labor overseas to competitive. I have a friend of mine who is a mechanical engineer at Shopvac and they have actually done studies that show labor per minute in China is half that of the US. Do I think we should work for 3$ an hour, HELL NO, but see my point. As far as unions, for the most part I support them. However, when you start protecting people that just flat out won't work or aren't productive then it makes the whole thing collapse which is what happened in the auto industry. I know union people who even blamed the unions on the collapse of the American auto industry. The sad part is as unions become less powerful and popular along with high unemployment companies can now treat their employees like sh*t and get away with it!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:32 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,512,905 times
Cheap crap is cheap crap, what pisses me off about some items that are expensive. If I am paying 100 dollars for an article of clothing say, they can make that in the US and turn a profit. Polo Ralph Lauren is the worst for this. I saw a 155 dollar American flag sweater with a tag talking about them donating money to the Smithsonian on it, and the f**ker was made in China. That could EASILY have been made in the US for that price. I would be willing to pay more if stuff was made in the US, but I don't think anyone else cares anymore, so they usually don't make stuff stateside anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment