Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:03 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times

Advertisements

This today about for profit schools targeting the military...what next

For-Profit Colleges Cashing In On Veterans

As we've discussed on this forum, about "re-schooling" after a lay off (recommended by just about everyone including the DOL) and many have fallen for (me included) taking additional schooling to get a job ~ my phlebotomy certificate and national certification are gathering dust 6 months later and NO job.

Unfortunatly it's not just the for profit schools, in my state even the CC's and 4 years are getting into the act of offering worthless certificates, AA's and degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 03:30 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Because they want your money and really don't care if you graduate or what happens to your future.

DM if you want names of sites where there are numerous complaints lodged against FPC's...

Old 12-09-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Because they want your money and really don't care if you graduate or what happens to your future.

DM if you want names of sites where there are numerous complaints lodged against FPC's...
I would complain but it won't get me a job, but you can send me the link...thanks

Old 12-09-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I would complain but it won't get me a job, but you can send me the link...thanks
Your welcome

Old 12-10-2010, 02:06 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I can tell you for a fact that's not true, and they're no different from a trade school or private institution... they serve a specific purpose in the educational field, and if you want a "big-name diploma," go to a big-name school instead. Nobody's forcing them to enroll, you know!

Old 12-10-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I can tell you for a fact that's not true, and they're no different from a trade school or private institution... they serve a specific purpose in the educational field, and if you want a "big-name diploma," go to a big-name school instead. Nobody's forcing them to enroll, you know!
LOL yah to tell you lies and sell you a worthless education. And BTW the "big-name" schools are doing the same thing.

Read my post #28 here and you'll see two examples of "big name" schools selling worthless diplomas and certificates in my state:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...rations-3.html

College education has become a racket, filled with snake oil salespeople masquerading as "career counselors/recruiters". Trying to find an education in valid field that will snare you a job/career is like going through a minefield anymore. No one may be forcing anyone to enroll but, these Vets are coming back looking for a way to better themselves and utilize their benefits to get an education and they are being sold a bill of goods. The same thing is happening to young college bound students too and the rest of us who are looking for a way to re-tool to find a job.

And as I stated in the posts from the link I provided it's CC's and "big name" State schools too, not just FP's.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:59 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
I taught at one of those Kaplan community colleges for a couple of months and it was a complete farce. It was all about recruiting and no effort was made to retain students. There was no end of people lining up to enroll, sadly.

Plus their credits won't transfer to any school other than another Kaplan, so it was useless for moving on to a 4-year university.

Total scam.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:16 AM

935 posts, read 2,411,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I taught at one of those Kaplan community colleges for a couple of months and it was a complete farce. It was all about recruiting and no effort was made to retain students. There was no end of people lining up to enroll, sadly.

Plus their credits won't transfer to any school other than another Kaplan, so it was useless for moving on to a 4-year university.

Total scam.
I have to ask, is this college connected with the Kaplan GRE programs? It looks like they are and that's sad. I mean, people in college trust the Kaplan name because they are recommended for their GRE practice programs. I saw those commercials wanting the Kaplan GRE program to sue them because the college was going to bring down the Kaplan name, but it looks like they might be connected due to the links on the GRE site.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Respectfully gizmo, I have read more stories than I can count about people not being treated fairly from these money pumping schools...

Old 12-10-2010, 04:31 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Those schools will soon get pushed out of the market. As we speak major universities are realizing that online education is a huge way for them to make money. Now you are going to still have to get admitted to top schools but it's really not that hard to get into many public state colleges these days.

Just like there is no need to be in the office every day for many jobs you don't have to be local for many programs. Coming to take tests a couple times a year while getting a degree from a place that people won't laugh at is going to be a very appealing option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment