Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:16 PM

37 posts, read 97,460 times

Advertisements

I have been going on interviews, pretty desperate to secure some employment. I went to one place and was lucky enough to be called back for a second interview. Was told that I would hear something this week...

Well, I did hear back. Seems I am still in the running--along with several other candidates. What they were calling about, however, was to inform me that the salary they had originally been offering has now been cut by 20%...and if I am still interested?

I have no choice, of course I am still interested. I just feel like they probably got a plethora of applicants...probably lots of them (us) overqualified for the position--and they are playing off of that BIG time, knowing how desperate we all are.

I still am grateful that I am at least being considered, knowing they have interviewed a lot of people for the job. I just feel secretly bitter that they are pulling back the salary now, knowing whoever they choose has no choice but to smile and nod. Ugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 08:25 PM

118 posts, read 534,920 times
20% is a huge cut. It's amazing that they can get away with that.

It would make me wonder what other kind offensive stuff I'd discover (or maybe even be asked to do myself) once I was working for the kind of people who would pull crap like that during the hiring process.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:32 PM

37 posts, read 97,460 times
I agree..it's huge. I was told that they had reworked their budget for the position and came up short in the salary department. Yeah, right!!

When I went to the first interview, the woman who I met with told me that she had 2 weeks worth of interviewing to do--over 30 people. I feel like she was laying the groundwork at THAT time...that I should happily accept whatever they offer in these times.

You make a great point, really about the integrity of this company if they pull this right out the gate. Well, I don't even have the job at this point--so I will just sit tight and hope for more interviews with other companies..

Old 12-07-2010, 08:42 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,488,209 times
Default We the Peons

Play the game. Take the job but don't stop looking for a better opportunity. Leave as soon as something better comes along. You deserve to work for an employer with integrity, and they don't deserve to keep you. Good Luck.

This could be you one day: "Hello, Ms. Supervisor? I have to give my 2-week notice. I was offered an opportunity paying 20% more! I just can't pass that up, you understand don't you?"

Old 12-07-2010, 09:30 PM

935 posts, read 2,413,802 times
Yeah, it sounds as though they are trying to see what they can get away with due to the applications. Or, maybe they are bluffing about the 30 applicants and they wanted to see if they could get you to agree to lower pay out of fear of competition. I mean, 30 applicants is realistic in this job market, but you never know.

I had a company which did that to me in the past. I went in for an interview as a call center supervisor since my previous work experience came close to matching the field. During the interview, the lady offered me a better career option and said, "You will get paid XX.XX per hour, which is more than our current trainer b/c she only has an associates degree and not as much experience, and you will get the chance to travel." That sounded good to me, so she told me to come in two days later to sign the contract and prepare for my first trip for training.

I went back 2 days later to find out the lady who interviewed me was not my boss. The actual boss was pretty crazy and freaked out over little details (like someone who arrives to work early). She also told me that my title would be different and less prestigious. She told me that my pay was going to be salary only, no overtime pay, no travel except once for training, and it was substantially less than originally quoted. I calculated the cost of gas, wear and tear on the vehicle (due to the rugged terrain and long distance commute), personal work environment, etc. and declined the offer.

It sounded too much like bait and switch to me. However, I did find a job I enjoy and someone else is probably working at that position right now. So, I'm guessing it's a win-win in this case.

As others have mentioned, the best thing to do would probably be to go ahead and get the job. Then, you can keep searching while you have a steady stream of income. What I did was pretty risky and everyone--except my parents--criticized me for turning it down. Heck, I even kicked myself for a while. In the end, the only one who can make the final decision is you.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,912,251 times
Tell them you can deal with 10% less. It's a longshot but may give you the upper hand, because they will think you are worth more than the other candidates.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:19 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,640,424 times
That 20% could be a bonus going to the hiring manager able to get a new hire on the cheap. I could be wrong though but I’ve seen it happen especially where recruiters and employment agencies are involved. If it’s a choice between working with a paycheck, albeit 20% less than what you’d hoped for, and having to keep sending out resumes it’s like not having a choice at all.

Ask them if there is any way to get the 20% back like after your probation or first review. I was in this same situation twice. The first time I was told that I had to accept the reduced pay in order to be more commensurate with my immediate coworkers who would be upset if they found out. The other time I was promised a raise after a 3 month probation period. Both times I took the job and both times I was screwed out of it.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:30 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,226,791 times
It probably does have a lot to do with the current state of things, but I was faced with something similar years ago. I interviewed for a couple jobs and the one I wanted I had to decline even the interview because I was in the hospital during the tiime of the interviews. I weighed all my options and wages and took a position with a start-up company for a significant less amount than I had been used to because one, I was qualiified to do every job they had there and would also be primarily have a position doing something I really enjoyed. The director of the department with the interview I had to turn down called me to find out what happened. He had been a client of mine in a previous job I had the position paid more, it was a perfect fit to my career up to that point and the benefits would have been great.

On my very first day at the company, I took a chance on, the guy says as I came in the door, "There's been a change of plans, you will be doing this XYZ job instead." I was just PO'd because if that was what I wanted to do I could have done it elsewhere for a lot more money. I felt duped and it only got worse from there. Then, he eliminted the commission incentive over my base salary. Strike two. After the 90 days, which is a typical probation period for a job, we were to be provided with insurance. Well, where was it? I needed surgery and he says "Oh, no, you have to get your own insurance and then I will reimburse you. OH, NICE, to tell me that now! He never said a thing about it until I had to actually ask him about it instead of saying how it would work in a staff meeting. I wasn't able to secure insurance on my own for open enrollment for individuals in these places had already passed, I now had pre-existing conditions, no sick time and a slew of other BS. In the interview he specifically said it would be provided. I'd had it with this jacknut and called the guy from the other position to see if he could help me find something else somewhere and he told me - there was something wrong with the way they advertised the position and had to toss everything out and start over and was I interested in resubmitting - OH hell yes. He called me at my office and said, 'well, the job is yours if you want it.' I immediately got up and walked out and said, I quit as of now I've been offered a better job. I really didn't see the point of even giving notice. It was the worst employment situation I'd ever been in.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:30 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,876,929 times
A 20% cut for a person filing single and with not many deductions, is probably really only a 14% cut.

So, if you get the job, just do 30% less work.

"Not an eye for an eye; Two eyes for an eye."

Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,218,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
So, if you get the job, just do 30% less work.

"Not an eye for an eye; Two eyes for an eye."
That has been my attitude anytime there is pay reduction, I'll do less work. Make it furlough time.

Head for an eye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment