Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 01:43 PM

688 posts, read 2,840,904 times

Advertisements

Why is it hard to land a good career in another state? My husband and I have extensively search for career opportunities in Jacksonville, FL area and aren't getting phone calls. My husband who has over 10 years in Management exp. and a Bachelor's and is highly intelligent, dependable, motivated. The resume is really good and he represents himself so well in the cover letters. I think to myself, (no bias on this part), if I was an employer and I read this resume and cover letter, I would want to speak with this person. So why is it not happening? Because we are from out of state? Is it more a successful factor to get a good recruiter, pay them well, and wait for your interviews to come? My husband will not leave a job unless he has a job, that's common sense, so he's not going to just go down there and then search once he's there, with no money, no job! What does it take to be successful in this type of employment searching? We've been doing this since April! Please, any insight would be greatly appreciated!

LuLu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 01:53 PM

434 posts, read 1,655,259 times
Maybe a firm is assuming they would have to pay moving expenses and they don't want to so they only look at local applicants?

Old 07-11-2007, 02:02 PM

Yeah, that's one thing I was thinking about too. When you go to Monster.com or Careerbuilder.com, it will ususally state whether they cover relocation or not. I just assumed that if you still apply that the firm understands that you will pay your own way. Some companies do state that they pay relocation, so I have been wondering why they didn't call as well. I'm not just saying this, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the resume. So what could it be when he fits the proper qualifications but still no calls???

Old 07-11-2007, 02:15 PM

428 posts, read 2,443,063 times
Is he giving any hint about his age? I couldn't tell from your post, but I have a feeling that if he looks like an older applicant on paper, it may be for that reason he's not getting a call.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyM View Post
Is he giving any hint about his age? I couldn't tell from your post, but I have a feeling that if he looks like an older applicant on paper, it may be for that reason he's not getting a call.

Hmmm, good question. He is 33. He has his graduation year of college there. Also states that he has 10 years exp.. Is 33 too old?
Why would they not call for age reasons? He is seasoned and professional. They ask for years of experience. Can't have that at age 20! LOL!

Old 07-11-2007, 02:28 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,223,064 times
My feeling is that they would try to fill the postion locally before they would go out of state. They have qualified people in Jacksonville too, you know. It makes no sense to even take time to interview someone out of state when you have local applicants.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:44 PM

Hmmm....good point. I'm sure there are plenty of qualified applicants there. Why bring in out of state people? I guess we'll just keep doing what we've been doing.....I guess there really isn't a "secret" to this. Hopefully, we'll get that opportunity soon enough. Thanks everyone for your insight!

Old 07-11-2007, 02:52 PM

Here's a question:

Can anyone give me an example maybe of how you relocated and landed a job in another state? Were you seeking it, offered it out of the blue or used a recruiter, what? Just thinking maybe someone can give me some good examples from their own relocation experience. Thanks to all!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:41 PM

982 posts, read 3,311,553 times
Hi Lulu!

We didn't relocate out-of-state, but we were open to it. My husband went through a recruiter starting last April, but the phone calls didn't really start until mid-June. The recruiter my husband used was compensated by the company, so we didn't pay anything. I think that's generally how they all work. Using a recruiter was great. I think employers like them because they weed out lots of applicants, saving them time and money. Although moving away was an option, relocation had to be covered, at least in part, and my husband was adamant about that. The recruiter complied on that issue, and my husband did several phone interviews with companies in Virginia, NC, Seattle, New York, and California. All were willing to pay travel costs for a one-on-one interview, and reimburse moving expenses. (Another benefit is that recruiters have connections, both with other recruiters and various employers. That's some pretty good marketing!)

Your husband might also consider posting his resume on Monster. Monster now gives the option of keeping the resume out of sight of a current employer - something they used to not do. My DH received a few phone calls going this route.

Another thing to consider is the time of year. When the beginning of the fiscal year rolls around, employers have TONS of open positions for senior level/higher-salaried positions. As the year drags on, more of the jobs posted are for junior/mid-level/contract-to-hire openings. This isn't necessarily true across the board, just something to keep in mind.

I think it also depends on what industry your husband is in - i.e., if he's a techie, there may not be that many positions available in Jacksonville - especially positions that would meet his salary requirements. Maybe the salary for his profession in Jacksonville is lower than that of NY, etc.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:39 AM

786 posts, read 4,738,623 times
I have been involved in the hiring of hundreds of people at small and large companies. In general we do not hire people from out of town unless we are desparate and have no strong candidates living within 50 miles.

Sometimes a person can use an employment agency to help them and the agent will work hard to find the applicant a job.

I always felt the best way to find a job out of town is just move there and start looking. Start as a temp if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment