Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:49 AM

51 posts, read 309,215 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious if there's someone working as an elevator installer and repairer here. Especially, at some emergency service of some elevator company. I simply don't know organization of any foreign elevator company so can't say anything more correctly.

I'm interested in different aspects of this job in the United States. I work at emergency elevator service in Russia and wanted to get to know some colleagues abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 01:56 AM

580 posts, read 2,293,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doysl View Post
I'm just curious if there's someone working as an elevator installer and repairer here. Especially, at some emergency service of some elevator company. I simply don't know organization of any foreign elevator company so can't say anything more correctly.

I'm interested in different aspects of this job in the United States. I work at emergency elevator service in Russia and wanted to get to know some colleagues abroad.

Just out of curiosity, how does one go about finding a job doing this type of work. I know it pays well and most, if not all are union. I suspect there is a lot of nepotism involved in getting these jobs.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:35 AM

Absolutely right, it's a well paid job in the U.S. comparing even with white collar jobs. But here, out of the Moscow, we earn very little. My salary is about $1.7 per hour. My more skilled colleagues have about $2 per hour. And our service is on 7/12 since it's an emergency one.

Well, I have no idea about nepotism in the U.S., but in Russia there's no nepotism about it. It's supposed to be a rubbish job. Although I know many examples when children follow fathers' steps. That's mostly because the old formation of elevator installers and repairers are pretty close (or even private) and they know each other and children of each other. But that doesn't mean a strange man can't get this job here.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:05 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Obtaining a position in this field is difficult. Elevator unions have one of the strongest unions in the country. My husband built custom elevators for a small family owned business. Due to the union, the company hired a company to install them. My husband tried for 5 years to somehow get into the trade. Finally he went to several union halls for an apprentice program. They charge you (can't remember how much now) to take their test. He did this and scored extremely well on it because he knows a lot about elevators obviously. Then he got called for an interview. All went well and until he had to show proof of his high school diploma. My husband looks young for his age and he told me he could tell the guys were startled by the graduation date. They told him he should put in notice at his current job because they would be calling him asap and he would not have time to give a notice then. He was next on the list to be called.

My husband is not stupid and waited for the call first. 6 months later, no call. He called them up and was told he was 45th on the list. How in the hell did he drop that far down in 6 months? So he called another guy he knew from work that was in the union. This guy looked into and off the record they decided my husband was too old, many of the union workers got their kids in and pretty much he would never get called. That was 5 years ago. Still no call. My husband decided to change directions and use his skill trades of metal working for another industry. He doesn't regret it. I'm pissed we paid that money when obviously these people already know who they want to hire but like raking in the cash on these "tests".

Old 12-03-2010, 01:25 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:

I design/layout fire sprinkler systems and would enjoy talking to someone who does the same thing in Russia.

In Omaha, Nebraska (flyover country where wages are low) the prevailing wage (union wage) for elevator mechanics is $35.23 plus fringe benefits of $18.285 for a total wage package of $53.513/hour. Overtime is double time or $70.46 per hour in wages.

The fringe benefits cover things like health insurance and their insurance is a gold plated one to say the least.

One can live extremely well in Omaha on these kinds of wages.

On top of the wages those with 5 or more years receive 8% towards vacation time (a little over 4 weeks paid vacation per year) plus 7 paid holidays per year. For those with 6 months to 5 years their vacation pay is figured at 6% or roughly three weeks paid time off.

See prevailing wages on page 89 of this pdf. That's the top of pdf page 89.

Like fire sprinklers the industry is heavily regulated by state agencies.

The three most heavily regulated construction industries are demolitions involving explosives, elevators and fire sprinklers.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:52 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:

I've always thought that would be a well paying and interesting job. Dirty jobs recently did a episode wehre they did elevator shaft cleaning, repair, etc.

On yahoo and these other news things you often see this job on those 10 best jobs without a degree stories. These lists annoy me b/c they make it sound like any old joe can just decide to start doing them. Elevator repair along with all those other jobs usually require some kind of training, alt to college schooling, apprenticeship, licensing, etc.

Like someone else mentioned I imagine alot of it is nepotism or small family businesses or unions all of which are hard to get into. Maybe start your own company if you have a background in that.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
1. Dirty jobs recently did a episode where they did elevator shaft cleaning, repair, etc.

2. Elevator repair along with all those other jobs usually require some kind of training, alt to college schooling, apprenticeship, licensing, etc.
1. Yeah, I saw that series That was funny, because the trash in American elevator shaft is the same as here in Russia and you as well need to use a shovel to remove it

2. It's kind of the same here. You may have no any education and go through a special course at special school of elevator mechanics, or you may study it at college (4 years). But after college you have more abilities to get some management job in a short period.

There's apprenticeship during the course at special school (half a year) or after college (half a year too). Then you get your license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
In Omaha, Nebraska (flyover country where wages are low) the prevailing wage (union wage) for elevator mechanics is $35.23 plus fringe benefits of $18.285 for a total wage package of $53.513/hour. Overtime is double time or $70.46 per hour in wages.
Thanks for the link
Wages... here's the biggest difference. Russian elevator mechanics' wages (in Bashkortostan anyway) doesn't depend on hours. It depends on how many elevator you're responsible for. I'm talking about those guys who work 8 hours a day. Some of them have 50 or even 100 elevators, but someone has just about 20 ones. Sure, when you have 100 ones you just cannot maintain them properly, but it's typically how everything works in Russia.

As to us, guys who are at emergency service, our wage depends on hours we work. And I already mentioned the prices--$1.7-2/hour and no benefits

Old 04-27-2011, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 22,773 times
the elevator industry in america is a small group of people in the first place a service mechanic can have as many as 100 to 170 elevators on a route, im a union elevator man myself and my father was in the trade as well in most cases it dosent have to do with nepitizem who gets a job these people are very demanding and persice in there craft and just because u get a shot dosent mean u wont get sent to the house if u cant hack it. I started in the middle of a construstion boom when they were hiring a lot of people to install, eleven years later i can count on one hand the guys that are left from back then outta 50 or so guys five are left, it is a very skilled trade with a five year education program and a test that rivals the bar exam at the end. elevator men are skilled in mechanical electrical building code etc. we are the jack of all traded in the building industry, and we have the most dangerous job in the building trades. we do make good money and have great benifits but we have more liability accountability and stress than most jobs. in closing i just want to say anybody that wants a shot in the industryshould give it a shot it is a rewarding career, elevator men are some of the most talented tradesmen out there. if ur afraid of heights or electric its not for u. i never worked for the company my dad worked for so there goes ur nepitizem. good luck i live in oklahoma and we have less than 250 elevator mechanics in our state

Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okielevatorman View Post
the elevator industry in america is a small group of people in the first place a service mechanic can have as many as 100 to 170 elevators on a route, im a union elevator man myself
Fire sprinklers in elevator shafts and equipment rooms.

Except for systems designed per NFPA 13R shafts never have sprinklers while others only get sprinklers at the bottom, sidewall, in front of door?

The only sprinklers at tops of shafts are very old combustible installations. We're talking put in 50, 60 and 80 years ago.

Equipment rooms are what get me... one hour yes, two hour no but then it all depends.

Fire marshal wants them in, so we put them in, elevator inspector wants them out so we take them out. Usually we go back and forth until someone just gets tired.

I hate elevators. Not elevator guys just elevators.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 23,584 times
Communism is the answer. We will all have jobs. Those refusing to work will be in labor camps, my personal favorite part of plan. We all get same pay. Prices are fixed. and no unnessesary product on market ie. cell phone. We all eat bread and potatos and be happy. All houses that are to large say more than 200 sqr ft. per occupant will be replaced with proper sized apartment. No more living in the country side. All will live in areas with population densety equal too or greater than Dallas. All private owned autos will be melted down for war effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment