Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:24 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Hey Charles-This is NOT a baseless thread. Open your eyes and read a lot of these posts, a lot of them DO NOT offer help or advice, just a lot of bragging, smug,judgemental replies, so I think it's a fair question. Instead of answering the question, you attack the questioner, Ann Coulter would be proud.
Exactly.

And no this thread is NOT baseless. It's a valid question to those that are guilty of the judging and bragging and are not man/woman enough to answer.

LeaveWI, I specifically remember you asking Annerk a couple of times in a recent thread why she felt the need to brag and judge. Notice how she did not answer you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:12 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
There is plenty of judging going on in this forum from all sides. As far as bragging, some people would see that as offering up advice on how to be successful.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:54 AM

I disagree about the bragging part. Being a braggart is NOT helpful. Boastful people are only looking to throw things into the unemployed's face. A person's salary should not mentioned unless others specifically ask them what they make. Otherwise that person is simply a braggart.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
I disagree about the bragging part. Being a braggart is NOT helpful. Boastful people are only looking to throw things into the unemployed's face. A person's salary should not mentioned unless others specifically ask them what they make. Otherwise that person is simply a braggart.
I guess you would have to take the comments on a case by case basis. But even if someone is bragging I have no issue with it. Certainly not any more issue than someone whining about crap.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:36 AM

219 posts, read 562,529 times
Quote:
Hey Charles-This is NOT a baseless thread. Open your eyes and read a lot of these posts, a lot of them DO NOT offer help or advice, just a lot of bragging, smug,judgemental replies, so I think it's a fair question. Instead of answering the question, you attack the questioner, Ann Coulter would be proud.
Have you read this guy's (Charles) posts? All he does is brags, so of course he's oblivious to it. Sadly, he's a 50+ year old senior who still tends to act like he's a 20-something stud. Anytime I see a post from him, I can't help but picturing the "Comic Book Guy" from the Simpsons. OTOH, I bet he knows how to speak Klingon.

http://blog.mrhacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/comic_book_guy.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-19-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I guess you would have to take the comments on a case by case basis. But even if someone is bragging I have no issue with it. Certainly not any more issue than someone whining about crap.
Who's whining? The OP asked a simple question. Funny how some people are not even answering it, but instead questioning why the OP would ask such a thing. Again I repeat, if gloating is allowed, then certainly asking why certain people gloat is allowed.

Bragging serves no purpose on an unemployment forum and anyone that thinks it does needs their head examined. It is NOT helpful to those that are unemployed.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Who's whining? The OP asked a simple question. Funny how some people are not even answering it, but instead questioning why the OP would ask such a thing. Again I repeat, if gloating is allowed, then certainly asking why certain people gloat is allowed.

Bragging serves no purpose on an unemployment forum and anyone that thinks it does needs their head examined. It is NOT helpful to those that are unemployed.
I did not say the OP was whining. I'm saying plenty of people whine about things on this forum and I have as much issue with bragging as I do with the whining (which to be honest is pretty much nothing at all - it's a message board, everything doesn't have to serve a purpose.

And this is not just the umemployment forum. This is also an work and employment forum. So not all threads are meant for the unemployed.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:00 PM

LeaveWI, it looks like your question won't be answered because no one can think of a justifiable reason that these threads become brag fests or how they come to the conclusion that the unemployed are lazy. I know exactly one of the people you are referring to. Nothing justifies being a braggart or calling the unemployed lazy. There is no good that comes of it and I don't care what anyone says.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:02 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Can someone please explain to me

Quote:
Ha, do I detect just a wee bit of attitude here?

In my posts I have tried not to gloat, I've tried to get people to see some of the things employers look for and require in an employee. If you read many of these posts you find one thing in common, everyone blames the empoyer or someone else and not themselves for the perdiciment they are in. Many people think the job they are doing is beneath them, they arn't being paid enough, etc., etc., etc. People need to look at themselves for answers to why they are not doing as well as they think they should. Work is like life, it is what you make it. Some things in life you have to do for yourself, no one is going to do them for you. My own wife has been unemployed for over a year. She could be working if she really wanted to work. She would find a job if she didn't have food to eat. She is like many other job seekers, she can't find the ideal job she wants to work at, so she won't work at one she could work at.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 11-21-2010 at 01:15 PM..

Old 11-22-2010, 01:17 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Attitude on MY part, or Charles? I asked a fair, not baseless question. I wasn;t referring to you at all NR, but c'mon you have to admit there are some posters who think they are the Second Coming, then proceed to rattle off all their stats to show the rest of us mortals how incredible they are. I even said there has been helpful advice here, but also a lot of non-helpful posts. I also do agree with a lot of your points above, as I do know a few people like that, but I also know of a lot more who really are trying, and are good, and do follow helpful advice, but haven't gotten back to work yet. My point is; over 10 million Americans didn;t just decide to become lazy, entitled slugs. A little empathy can;t hurt right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment