Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 10:26 AM

889 posts, read 2,716,272 times

Advertisements

If you fire an employee, do you have to give them a reason? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 10:39 AM

767 posts, read 2,295,203 times
You need a reason and it needs to be documentated. You don't want the ex employee telling the judge why you fired him.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:47 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,288,340 times
Unless it's an egregious thing--like, say, stealing company equipment or hitting a coworker--ideally, you should have a whole system in place for dealing with that. If it's a performance issue, chronic lateness, etc., it's best to document that, sit down with the employee, draw up a "performance improvement plan," and then give the person time to correct the problem. If the person doesn't correct the problem, then fire away.

I'm sure a lot of people will come on here talking about "employment at will" and so on, but the fact remains that people who feel they were fired unfairly can and do bring wrongful termination suits, and whether you win or not, just the headache of dealing with that should be enough to make you want to be professional in how you discipline and terminate employees.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:52 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post

I'm sure a lot of people will come on here talking about "employment at will" and so on, but the fact remains that people who feel they were fired unfairly can and do bring wrongful termination suits, and whether you win or not, just the headache of dealing with that should be enough to make you want to be professional in how you discipline and terminate employees.
Bingo, more right to work states.

U.S. Department of Labor - Wage & Hour Divisions (WHD) - State Right-to-work Laws (http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/righttowork.htm - broken link)

It is different depending on what state you are in, until the law actually changes, that is how it is going to be if you are in certain states.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:12 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,288,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Bingo, more right to work states.

U.S. Department of Labor - Wage & Hour Divisions (WHD) - State Right-to-work Laws (http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/righttowork.htm - broken link)

It is different depending on what state you are in, until the law actually changes, that is how it is going to be if you are in certain states.
Heh, I'm old-fashioned. I'm not in HR, but I've worked with enough HR types in helping them write and edit employee handbooks that I can't stress enough how important clearly defined policies and procedures really are, not only for legal reasons, but for ethical ones and for building morale in the long run. No one wants to work for a company where the rules are poorly communicated and can be changed to suit some boss's whim. No one likes to feel vulnerable, especially now.

Frankly, I think at-will is a lousy concept. I see the striking differences between right-to-work states and at-will states, having worked in a right-to-work state (Virginia) for 20 years and now living in an at-will state (New York). I don't think people should be required to join unions when they take a job or risk displacement at the whimsy of an employer, which is what at-will employment encourages. Don't get me wrong: I think unions are important in many cases, but as much as I support many unions (many, not all), I really think right-to-work is the way to go. It's just better for business and far more humane.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:27 PM

935 posts, read 2,413,924 times
I think they have to give you a reason, though whether or not it's the honest reason is another matter. One company told me I was being laid off, but on the paper work they said "separation". I asked why they didn't check the "laid-off" box and they said, "Oh, it's the same thing." I asked them why I was being laid off and finally one of them said, "The company doesn't feel as though they are spending their money wisely." Then, the boss looked at me before I left and said, "You know, I think you're right, they are laying off some of the harder working people in this business." Two months earlier, two other individuals were laid off as well and they were two of the hardest workers in the office. However, they were not buddies with management (they didn't argue with management either...they were just not close).

Old 11-14-2010, 02:52 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,420,172 times
Exclamation Oddest Question...

I think this is the oddest question. If you were fired, would you like an
explanation? You're either a poor employer or someone who feels like they
were canned w/no explanation. Which is it?
Koale

Old 11-14-2010, 03:23 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,713,309 times
You don't HAVE to save a person who's drowning in a river even if you're fully capable of doing so, but you ought to.

Likewise I think the company should give an honest reason for why they're firing someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment