Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 06:28 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,971,136 times

Advertisements

I've worked for managers of every age, height, ethnicity, etc. Never bothered me. What does? Managers who are insecure, inconsistent, and unable to make the tough calls. Now if you feel weird about managing older people, that's an issue you'd need to work on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 09:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,924,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

I, however, prefer to have an assertive and beautiful middle-aged female manager who invites me to go out of town with her for a weekend. (And this really happened, although I ended up not going.)
You are the luckiest guy in the world.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:32 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,550,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Yesterday, I interviewed for a Teller Coordinator/Manager job in Louisville. I really impressed at the interview and think I have a great chance at getting the offer. My concern is that my age would be an issue for any tellers I would be managing. I'm 22 years old but do have 3 years of teller experience. Would you resent a really young person managing you?
'
You are young bad not a baby. As long as you don't act immature you should be fine.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:41 PM
NCN

21,667 posts, read 25,690,936 times
Quote:
Yesterday, I interviewed for a Teller Coordinator/Manager job in Louisville. I really impressed at the interview and think I have a great chance at getting the offer. My concern is that my age would be an issue for any tellers I would be managing. I'm 22 years old but do have 3 years of teller experience. Would you resent a really young person managing you?
One of the best managers I had as an employee was one of the youngest. She was straight out of college, but had compassion, judgment, and many other qualities that a good manager should have. Age is not as important as understanding, know-how, and fairness. I wish you well and success on the job.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:04 PM

6,828 posts, read 9,091,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk Fisk View Post
Well, before you start judging me (oops, too late), let me expound on my post. My experience has been that some older, more experienced people who end up working for you may do or say things to try to derail your success. IF you start seeing signs of this, take heed. Pay attention to them and try to understand what is motivating them to do these things. Figure out a tactful way to discuss these issues, either directly with them or as a team. There are people I have managed that have tried to make my transition as manager as miserable and unsuccessful as possible for no other reason than to demonstrate their contempt for a younger person taking the reigns. How can a team function when some of its members' primary goal is to undermine the manager?

(Azoria, don't judge people before you know more about their situation. Ask next time, and you shall receive.)
Your post is interesting, but it's so vague that it's not too useful. Employees may try to "derail your success" and "demonstrate their contempt". What does that mean? Did they steal your computer, spread rumors that you were a child molester, talk directly to your manager about what a bad boss you were, etc.? Were you a new manager? Is it possible they didn't like your management style? It sounds like you didn't know how to earn their respect.

I'd like to hear more about your experience. Have you had other experiences as a young manager that were more positive?

Old 11-06-2010, 03:01 PM

10,837 posts, read 14,970,735 times
For me experience is the only thing that matters and experience comes with age.

If it did come to having a youngster about the youngest they could possibly be is early 30's but most likely they would be in their 40's.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:10 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,397,681 times
Quote:
No. There is no reason I should.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:58 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,829,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You are the luckiest guy in the world.
Indeed! She is still very good looking. But...she was a boss, and obviously I was the subordinate, so what do you say?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:09 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,689,095 times
It depends on the age of the other people working there. For example, you're only slightly younger than me so age wouldn't matter with such a small difference, but when I was 20 I had a job in Poland teaching English, and some classes were all 40+, which felt a little awkward at first, with emphasis on the 'at first'. I got round it by wearing a smart suit and shaving the night before to look a little bit older and by saying I was 25 - this an option for you? If you have to discipline somebody a lot older just be careful with what you say and try to keep a distance as it seems more professional. They wouldn't have hired you if they thought there would be a problem.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:27 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,523,243 times
Not a problem in my book as long as there is respect involved. Don't talk down to anyone regardless of their age. You may know a bit more in terms of tech. knowledge but in life experience a younger person has alot to learn from the older generation. Learn from each other is my motto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment