Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
I don't understand why this is so hard for people to understand. For every person in touch with reality, there are 10 others bashing the unemployed for being lazy and not trying.
I'm the first to admit there aren't enough jobs to go around. But I also see an awful lot of unemployed people coming up with a lot of excuses for being unemployed--they don't like the job/hours/commute/relocation/the list goes on.

For every five people who are legitimately bending over backwards to find work, five are having a pity party in their own brain or have become so bitter that it shows in their interactions with potential employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 05:54 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
How about the very simple fact that there are not enough jobs It's that basic math problem again 5 people for every 1 job leaves 4 people with NO JOB

Before the melt down WE ALL HAD JOBS and WE WERE ALL EMPLOYABLE

I reall don't see the point of this thread It seems like a veiled attempt to again trash the unemployed.

Buddy, I'm in the same boat as you and I do not benefit from bashing the unemployed. I started this post to get the heartless people out in the open as to why the unemployed continue to get bashed. There are a few users on this forum who deserve to get called out on because of how often they bash the unemployed.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,073,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I'd save all that effort in researching once you get the interview.. why spend all those hours when 90% of the time your resume and cover letter won't even get a wink?
because when the interview does come around you will be ready

Old 10-12-2010, 08:51 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm the first to admit there aren't enough jobs to go around. But I also see an awful lot of unemployed people coming up with a lot of excuses for being unemployed--they don't like the job/hours/commute/relocation/the list goes on.

For every five people who are legitimately bending over backwards to find work, five are having a pity party in their own brain or have become so bitter that it shows in their interactions with potential employers.
That's a lot in one statement.

Relocating is expensive. If you're single and have no debt, and you're moving all of your earthly possessions in one rental truck from one cheap place to another, or from expensive to cheap, that's one thing.

But if you have a spouse who is employed and you have kids in school, or you get an offer in a very expensive place that your new job would not cover by itself (remember, then your spouse would be out of work), no, it makes no sense to relocate just to be employed. It may not even be possible if you have a house that you'd have to sell. My sister is going through that. She desperately wants to get out of Florida and come back to Long Island, where she has a better shot at getting a job, but she can't unload her house to save her life.

Speaking of LI, I live out in the boonies. Yeah, sure, people out here commute to Manhattan--for 90 minutes in each direction (more if they have to take a subway after getting off the LIRR) and about $400 a month in rail passes. It's just not cost-effective below a certain salary, though, especially if you're single. One would have to have an alternate source of income to take less than 70K, and realistically speaking, 80K is more like it.

Of course, a renter such as myself could move to Queens. Lower commute time and cost, but overall, housing is much more expensive, so six of one, half dozen of the other. Worse, actually, because it's Queens.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 PM

839 posts, read 2,418,585 times
This is a good thread and I'd like to chime in.

What makes a person unemployable? Well, I think it has a lot to do with the individuals background, career field, and the economy in general. Also, some cities have been hit harder by the depression than others, likewise with certain career fields.

Yes, having a good attitude certainly helps, but it cannot create a job out of thin air.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:21 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
That's a lot in one statement.

Relocating is expensive. If you're single and have no debt, and you're moving all of your earthly possessions in one rental truck from one cheap place to another, or from expensive to cheap, that's one thing.

But if you have a spouse who is employed and you have kids in school, or you get an offer in a very expensive place that your new job would not cover by itself (remember, then your spouse would be out of work), no, it makes no sense to relocate just to be employed. It may not even be possible if you have a house that you'd have to sell. My sister is going through that. She desperately wants to get out of Florida and come back to Long Island, where she has a better shot at getting a job, but she can't unload her house to save her life.
You do what you need to do. My husbands job is in NJ, we live in FL where my job is. He spends three weeks a month there, and telecommutes from here on the 4th. Ideal? No. But it pays the bills. He shares a house in NJ to keep costs down. We make sacrifices to keep our jobs and pay our bills. My brother-in-law and sister do much the same thing--she's in CT and he works out of the mid-west.

Quote:
Speaking of LI, I live out in the boonies. Yeah, sure, people out here commute to Manhattan--for 90 minutes in each direction (more if they have to take a subway after getting off the LIRR) and about $400 a month in rail passes. It's just not cost-effective below a certain salary, though, especially if you're single. One would have to have an alternate source of income to take less than 70K, and realistically speaking, 80K is more like it.
I did it from central NJ for a $40K job. It was "cost effective" because it paid more than unemployment.

Quote:
Of course, a renter such as myself could move to Queens. Lower commute time and cost, but overall, housing is much more expensive, so six of one, half dozen of the other. Worse, actually, because it's Queens.
You have just proved my point, people aren't willing to make changes in order to find work--they want it their way or no way.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,217,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I think he/she means blind ads. I see quite a few of these and I usually don't apply to them just for that reason: not knowing the name of the company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Yes. I think that was the person's question.

The classified section of papers like the NY Times often have many, many ads that simply say something like: Administrative Assistant, Advanced Office Skills required for busy firm. Fax resume to: xxx-xxxx. Or, Customer Service Manager. Excellent communication and multitasking skills. Fax resume to xxx-xxxx.

There is no way to know what type of firm that is so cover letters to those types of ads are largely generic out of necessity. However, if they call you in for an interview, you will get the name and should research the firm thoroughly before the interview so you know what type of operation it is.
Got it...I don't apply to blind ads, so I can't say much about them. I like knowing the companies I might work for before applying...

Old 10-13-2010, 06:35 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,754,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You do what you need to do. My husbands job is in NJ, we live in FL where my job is. He spends three weeks a month there, and telecommutes from here on the 4th. Ideal? No. But it pays the bills. He shares a house in NJ to keep costs down. We make sacrifices to keep our jobs and pay our bills. My brother-in-law and sister do much the same thing--she's in CT and he works out of the mid-west.

I did it from central NJ for a $40K job. It was "cost effective" because it paid more than unemployment.

You have just proved my point, people aren't willing to make changes in order to find work--they want it their way or no way.
Even though you work in different states through the magic of Skype Video calls you can have face to face conversations long distance so you can keep in touch. I talk to my cousin in the Philippines a lot through free Skype.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,362,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am sorry...I don't understand your question? Are you saying you apply for jobs and yet don't know the company you are applying to work for?

Can you clarify your question?

I apply for jobs both advertised on-line and in the local newspapers. You know - the "classifieds"? Companies do still advertise in those. One newspaper is for the borough I reside in. The other is for the closest city (if you want to call it that, it is more like a large town) and the encompassing boroughs. The ad will say something like, "Secretary/Receptionist" or "Administrative Assistant" wanted, and the requirements, but no company name. Just instructions to apply to a post office box or in care of the newspaper. You can't do research on it until/if you are called for an interview and know the company name.

Sometimes applying to blind ads is fruitful - I got one of my best jobs that way.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,217,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I apply for jobs both advertised on-line and in the local newspapers. You know - the "classifieds"? Companies do still advertise in those. One newspaper is for the borough I reside in. The other is for the closest city (if you want to call it that, it is more like a large town) and the encompassing boroughs. The ad will say something like, "Secretary/Receptionist" or "Administrative Assistant" wanted, and the requirements, but no company name. Just instructions to apply to a post office box or in care of the newspaper. You can't do research on it until/if you are called for an interview and know the company name.

Sometimes applying to blind ads is fruitful - I got one of my best jobs that way.
To start, I simply did not understand your question. There is no need for an attitude about it.

Secondly, I simply would never apply that way. Maybe it is just different styles of job hunting. Most of my time job hunting has been spent getting to know people at companies where I want to work and then taking advantage of those personal connections when I go to actually apply. I am not sure why I would waste time sending a resume to an address that has no company name attached to it. What if it is a company I absolutely hate?

By the time I send a resume in, I want to know the person reading my resume knows me personally and likes who I am...but different people have different approaches to job hunting I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment