Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:16 AM

364 posts, read 1,082,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive1982 View Post
Oh, and like others have said, I highly recommend getting your master's sometime soon. I completed mine while I worked full time. It's in a different field other than psychology and I tend to notice most people with their BA in psychology never end up having jobs related to Psychology
No they don't because there's really no jobs in psychology, and the ones that are out there don't pay...like I said previously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 08:23 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,135,084 times
Hardees, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, the opportunities are endless...

Old 08-26-2010, 08:33 AM

29,785 posts, read 34,563,488 times
The OP's plight shows how having a BS/BA isn't a guarantee to anything. While you're still in college it's really important to get involved in campus organizations in your major, intern, volunteer, network. Think about what it is you want to do after graduation: teaching, marketing, non-profits, health care, whatever, and get experience in that.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:21 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,306,057 times
I'm in the same boat you are concerning the degree. I have worked as a receptionist for many years because it is so difficult to get a job with a bachelor's in a social science degree (be it psychology, social services, family relations or what have you) I have not chosen to go back to school for various reasons, but I would along with others, suggest you get a MSW and look at doing social work. Check out in your area, however, if MSWs are getting hired though. Even with a master's it might still be really competitive, but if I really wanted to pursue social work or counseling, this is what I would likely do. ( I have worked as a receptionist in banks for a number of years. If I had more aptitude and ambition for that kind of thing, I had opportunity to move up in banking, but that's just not workable for me. Someone else might have done that. My husband's thinks I have the capability to be bank manager. Trust me it's not just false humility when I say I don't.)

I was able to work "in the field" for several years after graduating in the social services dept of a small hospital who had an MSW as a consultant. After that, though, nada. And like others have told you, a master's in some sort of business degree is still a possibility for you if that's something that appeals to you at all and it's feasible for you.

And I'm not saying it's impossible to get a job with just a bachelor's in psych, but at least in my neck of the woods, I have always found those type of jobs extremely scarce and the competition for them unbelievably fierce, and generally those jobs were not high-paying. Now the first job I had which was "in the major" I "worked my way into" by taking a lesser position in the dept. Sometimes that can work for you if the opportunity is there, but you are very young with plenty of time to add to your education if you want to do so.

Last edited by kaykay; 08-26-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 08-26-2010, 09:47 AM

221 posts, read 800,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
No they don't because there's really no jobs in psychology, and the ones that are out there don't pay...like I said previously.
They don't what? I know plenty of people who went back for their master's. I didn't say they got their maste'rs in psychology..

Old 08-26-2010, 12:12 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,875,311 times
I have a BA also and worked as a Psych Tech, for CPS and also with the developmentally Disabled. All were rewarding and none of them paid much. I started working in business, my minor and made better money.

Online classes weren't an option for me when I graduated but my daughter just completed her BS while in the military full time. Online classes make anything possible.

At the time I graduated you could get a counseling certificate with an MSW which could lead to big bucks in my opinion. It all depends on where your heart leads you. Good luck in your life's pursuit.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:21 PM

364 posts, read 1,082,553 times
Quote:
They don't what? I know plenty of people who went back for their master's. I didn't say they got their maste'rs in psychology..
They don't end up in jobs in Psychology because they either don't find a job in Psychology and if they do it pays nothing. Even a master's in psychology won't land you much.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:08 PM

543 posts, read 3,081,835 times
Quote:
Over 2 years, started between 40-50k. No clue, but I don't have a BA in finance. Since there is phone work involved, no you can't.

I thought the average earning for liberal arts majors were 25k-35k. Were you lucky?

Old 08-26-2010, 07:49 PM

56 posts, read 285,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba-vs View Post
Dear everyone,

Thank you very much for all your replies. It really astounds me - I did not expect anything near as lively a response as you have given me! It's really motivating to be able to explore options I had not even thought of before and seeing real life experience of what some of you have done with your degree. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Please do keep them coming
Don't sweat it too much. I have a bachelors in psych. and my work has nothing to do with my major, along with 75% of other college grads out there. Trust me, nobody with a bachelors in history is working as a historian. Nobody with a chemistry BS is working as a chemist. Most college majors lead to jobs that have nothing to do with the degree, that's how it works.

If you really want to stay in this field, you will need a MS or a PhD. If advanced degrees are not in the cards, learn a skill and market it. Learn a skill and you will be just fine.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:03 PM

221 posts, read 800,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
They don't end up in jobs in Psychology because they either don't find a job in Psychology and if they do it pays nothing. Even a master's in psychology won't land you much.
Ok..got it. But I never said they went for their master's in Psychology lol. I said I recommend getting your master's..not psy per say..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment