Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 10:57 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,808,435 times

Advertisements

Have you ever left a job a week or a few weeks or even a month after joining because you didn't like some aspect of it? How did you handle the exit with the employer and was it amicable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 11:05 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,952,998 times
Yes, twice. Once, when I was when in my teens and was working at an ice cream shop. I was hired for one position and they assigned me a completely different position and I hated it. I just didn't show up and ignored my phone.
I really regret handling it that way.

The second time was in my 20's. I worked at the office for about a month or so, and got my dream job offer from another company. I just handed in my resignation and that was that. Not a big deal at all--just business. I offered two weeks' notice, but they let me go that day. I completely expected it and understood.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:10 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,256,509 times
I quit a job once after a couple of months.... When they tried to get me to stay I told them I didn't like working there ...

There was a person that worked in the office that thought she ran the place and knew how to do my job, until one day I backed up and told her if you can do it better have at it..

I could not work with people like her....so I quit.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 AM

39 posts, read 272,668 times
I did it a couple of times when I was in high school and college. Once was my first day of a summer job working at a daycare, and I didn't like the way they were treating the kids. I went out to get something out of my car, and never went back in.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:22 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,482,829 times
I quit a job after 6 months a few years ago. It was heartbreaking because it was a career change for me that I really wanted to pursue but the other people I was working for just made it impossible. I have to admit when they asked me if I was leaving because of the bad things that happened between us, I told a white lie and just said I'd been offered another job that was just perfect for me and my existing qualifications. I didn't want to get into a slanging match about who was at fault the most and burn any bridges. But when they asked me to draw up a list of recommendations of procedures for future new hires, I definitely let them know where the problems existed .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment