Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 08:40 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,964,565 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure whether I should place this topic here or in the "Education" category. Well here's my problem- I have about a year and a half left of grad school (those 18 months will fly by) and I am studying mental health counseling.

I love the field that I'm in and I have worked (with my bachelors) in my current job as a counselor for the past 2 1/2 years. I work at a school (with kids ranging in age from 5-15). The best thing about the job is that I can be as creative as I want to be. The goal is to teach social and coping skills, assertiveness skills, anger management and I deal with any other personal problem the students might have.

Anyway, I'm narrowing down what I would like to do once I graduate and get licensed. My first choice is to keep my current job BUT once I'm established, I would like to start my own practice. Essentially, I want to do the exact same thing (counseling kids) but I want it to be more of a group program (not individual). Parents would decide which program they were interested in (like anger mangmt, bereavement, etc) and I would meet with the kids at certain times (say, once a week for example).

I had a professor who's wife ran a program like that. She was strictly private pay and her business was booming. I lost touch with them but I wanted to know more about it. Does anyone know of similar programs. Does this sound like a good idea??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 09:38 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,191,011 times
If you can support your lifestyle and it's work you want to do; you are already way ahead of most people. Helping children is a great thing to do and I'm sure it's a field that will see growth.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:26 PM

482 posts, read 280,670 times
Default Well it matters where you live...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I wasn't sure whether I should place this topic here or in the "Education" category. Well here's my problem- I have about a year and a half left of grad school (those 18 months will fly by) and I am studying mental health counseling.

I love the field that I'm in and I have worked (with my bachelors) in my current job as a counselor for the past 2 1/2 years. I work at a school (with kids ranging in age from 5-15). The best thing about the job is that I can be as creative as I want to be. The goal is to teach social and coping skills, assertiveness skills, anger management and I deal with any other personal problem the students might have.

Anyway, I'm narrowing down what I would like to do once I graduate and get licensed. My first choice is to keep my current job BUT once I'm established, I would like to start my own practice. Essentially, I want to do the exact same thing (counseling kids) but I want it to be more of a group program (not individual). Parents would decide which program they were interested in (like anger mangmt, bereavement, etc) and I would meet with the kids at certain times (say, once a week for example).

I had a professor who's wife ran a program like that. She was strictly private pay and her business was booming. I lost touch with them but I wanted to know more about it. Does anyone know of similar programs. Does this sound like a good idea??
Different states have different licenses for doing "counseling" or "therapy". In NY basically anyone can hang out a shingle and be "psychotherapist" but start a private practice and get insurance reimbursement you need to be licensed - usually a LCSW (licensed clinical social worker), which means a masters in social work and taking exams for your license. On the other hand, I have a friend that moved to Massachusetts and launched a private practice "coaching", running some groups with people with gender identity issues and others with body dysmorphia issues -- and she adds yoga to the mix. She has been quite successful.

I work with addicts and, much to my surprise, after almost 4 years of it, I still love it. I do individual and run lots of groups. I am an LMSW right now.

Start researching in your area - look for the type of facilities you would want to work in or private practices that cater to your base clientèle - and definitely post something about this in your city's thread.

Wherever you land good luck.
J.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:55 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,223,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post

I think your idea is EXCELLENT!!! I am a licensed therapist and I do group therapy for mentally ill adults in an agency. I started a private practice almost a year ago, but doing more hypnotherapy than anything (I love it!!).

I think you'll love private practice and even more if you are doing something that you really enjoy. If I had a child who needed help in one of those areas I would love to put them in a group like yours. I know the benefits of group counseling. Good luck with your idea!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment