Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,230,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Contract employees are reported as an "expense" and so the cost is tax deductible. Also, they don't have to play your unemployment insurance when they let you go.
Salary for a fulltime employee is deductible as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,165 times
The problem with these contract jobs is most don't last past 6 months. Then you have to start looking for another job. Second no paid vacation and sometimes no paid holidays. You will see the directs getting all the great holidays and vacation days but you wont get them. One thing most contractors like is the Per Diem, unpaid time off they can take, and time and half for over time. Most contractors don't take time off even unpaid from what I have seen. I do though because I believe that you should have some time off now and then to enjoy life. But I normally don't get but a few days off. They normally lay me off in July or September so that I can't get any holiday pay if there is any.

I have noticed lately companies have been trying to offer really low wages for contractors. It is wrong. They sometimes offer less then what you would make as a full time employee. Hope enough people reject there offers and they have to offer more. I think part of the problem is them bringing in foreign engineers to work for less. I have got contract jobs in the past that paid real well and still do see some that pay decent. It all depends on the job and location and the company. Of course the market is in bad shape now but I think for Engineering it is not doing that bad. I have been getting a lot of agencies calling lately.

What you got to think about is not only the fact these contract jobs don't come with Benefits (most of the time) but they will most likely leave you unemployed for a while after the contract is done. So then you will need to have money to survive to the next job. So keep that in mind when thinking about your rate and if you want to be a contractor or direct. It is all a matter of how easily you think you can get your jobs. If you are one that can find another gig fast and not lose much money you may like contracting.

I think it sucks that it is so difficult to get a direct job some times because companies are on these hiring freezes and if anything only hire contractors. But I do agree sometimes they will try to hire the contractors direct.

Other things I like about contract jobs is being able to move around and try out different locations to live and places to work. Learning new things is always good to. I think it helps you build your resume. The only issue is if you get too many contract jobs then it may be a little hard to find a direct job latter. But I still think you can just contract around tell you find a company that want to hire you direct.

Last edited by rockerrockstar; 09-24-2011 at 12:09 AM..

Old 09-24-2011, 06:03 AM

13,009 posts, read 18,973,116 times
If hired as independent contractor, be sure to deduct travel to the job site and any tools or materials used on the job. You are losing certain benefits, so take advantage of the tax benefits.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:46 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,773,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
To an employer, what's the difference between direct hire and contract? I don't quite understand why so many companies are only hiring under contract.
They're both technically "contracts", just different contracts.

Usually though, when companies say they're hiring workers under contrct, that means they're looking to hire self-employed people, or 1099. That essentially means you work on your own time, you don't get any benefits and you must have all of your own taxes (employer and employee side).

However, direct-to-hire means that they're hiring you as a temporary worker now with a good chance that they'll hire you in permanently if your performance is good. They do make you sign a contract though to show that you are legally aware that the job may just only be temporary. And until being hired in permanently, you don't qualify for benefits.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,900 times
Default W2 Contractor

Hi,

I was wondering if it is legal for a company in California to hire contractors for another company (as W2 contractors) and never give them any written contract.
Kelly Engineering operates this way.

In other words it is never clear on paper when the contract ends.

Thanks

Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,487,417 times
1099 is illegal except under very few circumstances. The IRS will hammer the company if the employee files an ss-8 and in almost all cases the IRS rules the worker is an employee.

The worker is an employee if...

You or your representative tells the worker where, when, and how to work.
You train the worker.
The business performance depends on the worker.
The worker has a continuing relationship with the company.
The worker's services must be personally rendered by the him/her.
You set the worker's work hours.
The worker works on the employer's premises.
You are paid by the hour, weeks, or month.
You furnish tools and materials.
You can fire the worker without violating a contract.
The worker has a right to quit without incurring a liability.
The worker does not offer the worker's services to the public at large.
The worker has no opportunity for profit or loss as a result of the worker's service.
The worker has no significant investment in the business.
You require the worker to submit oral or written reports.
The worker is a corporate officer.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:18 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,487,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxette View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if it is legal for a company in California to hire contractors for another company (as W2 contractors) and never give them any written contract.
Kelly Engineering operates this way.

In other words it is never clear on paper when the contract ends.

Thanks
There should be some contract with both you and Kelly and Kelly and the employer. As for ending date it is pretty much at will. My ending date was 2 years ago they just keep extending it with the staffing company so I have a job (albeit a lousy one) as long as they decide to continue funding the contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment