Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 05:33 PM

40 posts, read 206,827 times

Advertisements

Just talked to a friend of mine in Brazil. He said the economy is booming there. Jobs are plentiful, pay is sound, and new businesses are thriving. What are they doing we aren't? Google Brazil economy ... wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 08:46 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,028,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygirl68 View Post
Just talked to a friend of mine in Brazil. He said the economy is booming there. Jobs are plentiful, pay is sound, and new businesses are thriving. What are they doing we aren't? Google Brazil economy ... wow!
The Brazilian economy is definitely doing well. However, Brazil as a nation has a small number of very wealthy people and a large number of extremely poor. It has one of the highest divides between rich and poor in the developed nations and extremely high levels of crime as those deep in poverty struggle to survive.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:33 PM

27 posts, read 114,962 times
I lived in Brazil for a few years. The Brasilian economy is strong but it isn't all flowers and rainbows. Like the previous poster noted wealth distribution there is just as bad there as it is here in the US. You would also need to learn portuguese to get a decent job but knowing English would be huge.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
The US does a lot of outsourcing to Brazil. That area pays well. And your ability to speak English will help you. But your drawback would be not knowing how to speak portuguese.

I work with a company in Brazil, and the staff there are very intelligent and hard working. A few people have a grasp on English, but the rest of them are lost.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:12 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,042,746 times
Brazil is pretty much becoming energy independent or already is. That's the biggest problem with thee USA. Do you see the country of Brazil bankrupting their nation because of the threat of terrorists or for foreign oil reserves? War is bleeding America dry. Brazil is smart to keep their nose down.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:52 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,619 times
Of course then there is significant violence such as exists in Sao Paulo-- not sure I would want to move there.

Brazil's difference between rich and poor is by far more severe than the US, like many developing countries.

You could also go over to India and more than likely make a good living-- but the disparity between you and the majority that is living worse than hand to mouth is enough to make me turn my head away from that.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:32 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,950 times
- Brazil is a less developed country, so there is more potential for growth. The structure of their economy is also different, less services and more agriculture.
- Brazil is starting from a lower base. This is why the BRIC countries in general didn't get as affected by the world recession.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:42 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,203,753 times
My problem with Brazil is that there are only five main jobs available to the general population: soccer player, jujistu fighter, bikini waxer, samba dancer, and rainforest guide.

I've given plenty of thought on how I could move down there to live in the affordable houses up on the mountains with the big views, but I just can't see myself fitting into any of those careers. I thought maybe pro soccer player but when you get older that would be hard, I'd like a career I could be happy in at an older age.

No, Brazil just isn't gonna work.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:57 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,551,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Brazil is pretty much becoming energy independent or already is. That's the biggest problem with thee USA. Do you see the country of Brazil bankrupting their nation because of the threat of terrorists or for foreign oil reserves? War is bleeding America dry. Brazil is smart to keep their nose down.
Ahhh, another Freedom Hater. Why do you hate America, Citizen?

I am joking with you.

You are absolutely correct.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:13 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,845,339 times
[quote=slackjaw;14937094]My problem with Brazil is that there are only five main jobs available to the general population: soccer player, jujistu fighter, bikini waxer, samba dancer, and rainforest guide.

quote]

I understand plastic surgeons can make a killing there though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment